PDA

View Full Version : ???400ex riders in glamis??? have a ? 4 u

AdamEX
07-09-2006, 02:23 PM
i have a 03 400ex with pipe, k&n intake, rev kit, no lid and i cannot shift into 3rd while shooting up oldsmobile hill. i hae tried taking off in 1st and second and once i shift to 3rd i loose all of my power to the point where it feeling like its bogging out. does anyone else hae this problem? any advice?

250r4life
07-09-2006, 10:05 PM
huh.... is your gearing stock?
what paddles are you running?

my buddy had an 01 400ex with a white bros pipe, K&N, rev kit, and sand skate 2s, and i could pull it in 3rd no prob... he could only pull it in 2nd, but he was 350lbs +...

i guess part of it depends on how well you are able to take the whoops...

if you can take the whoops good and be in 3rd thew the whoops and keep it in a higher rpm, you should have no problem maintaining 3rd up the hill...

if you do, somn is wrong with your bike or somn is off with your gearing...

AdamEX
07-10-2006, 12:22 AM
my gearing is stock. i was running 21" geckos. i know they suck. right now i am debating on 18" skat trac gliders or 20" sand stars. it might have possibly been the way i took the woops because i had just put on a twist throttle. i assume you take off in second... about when do you shift to third? i can't wait to get out there with the big bore and my thumb throttle back on . with the twist is was at the mercy of the quad.

250r4life
07-10-2006, 01:20 AM
yah i imagine taking the whoops with a twist throttle takes some getting used to... well, the whoops in general take some getting used to to be able to hit them like you should...

yah i launch in 2nd, and you wanna shift into 3rd as soon as you have 2nd about wound out...

you want to gain as much speed through the whoops before you start the uphill section of the hill..

like on my bike, i like to be in 4th and try to get it pinned before i ever start the climb...

AdamEX
07-10-2006, 11:05 AM
thanks for your input. hopefully i can get this all figured out. i was all disappointed when my third gear died out on the hill.

ohsobad_chevy
07-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Did someone say twist throttle... Don't say that here LOL J/k :devil: :devil:

SAND LUVR
07-13-2006, 02:13 PM
get rid of those geckos

Dune Surfer
07-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Simple gear down in the front!!

AdamEX
07-14-2006, 12:36 AM
haha i know. my hand would cramp soo bad from those hours of straight riding. and a twist throttle helped that soo much but it seemed like i had no control. that **** is definately coming off before the next glamis trip.... now i see how stupid it was. and i got rid of those geckos! they sucked. now i am debating between sand devils and sand stars. i don't want to get haulers because with my luck i will tear a paddle the first trip out. plus i'd rather spend the money on the big bore.

AdamEX
07-14-2006, 12:37 AM
one more thing... when i gear down i only have to do it to the front right?

250r4life
07-14-2006, 12:47 AM
if i was you i would go with the sand stars or the sand sharks...

as far as gearing down, well, i dont know as how i would do it...
many people do it on the raptor and it is a must have, because the raptor 2nd gear is so long, that you can pretty much stay in it the whole day while at the dunes... and it wont pull 3rd very good with stock gearing...

but the raptor is quite a bit faster than the 400ex, and on the raptor you never get up into 5th, so taking a little off the top of the raptor is ok...

the 400 is a little different though... you definately have to work it and switch gears a lot more than the raptor, but the 400ex already tops out at a slow speed, and youre just gunna bring it down... i dunno...

i guess you could always buy one from rocky mountain, and worse case scenario you are out $7 but...

to answer your question- yes, just go down one tooth from stock on the front...

250r4life
07-14-2006, 12:48 AM
im not sure how much you weigh, but im around 175 and with your same bike i could make it up in 3rd no problem...

ohsobad_chevy
07-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
but the raptor is quite a bit faster than the 400ex, and on the raptor you never get up into 5th, so taking a little off the top of the raptor is ok...

LOL...Thats strange, I eat raptors up all day on the drag strip. All i got done to my 400ex is a pipe and UNI filter, airbox lid on. The kid had to weight about a buck fifty, soakin weight. I pulled at least 2 quad lengths on him, in just under 500 feet. I know that rider skill has a lot to do with it, the raptor just has more of a top end then the 400ex. ;)

AdamEX
07-14-2006, 10:49 AM
last time i was in glamis there was a guy on a raptor 660 with nos and all this other **** and he was getting spanked on my stock 450s. i didn't think raptors were that slow.

250r4life
07-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
LOL...Thats strange, I eat raptors up all day on the drag strip. All i got done to my 400ex is a pipe and UNI filter, airbox lid on. The kid had to weight about a buck fifty, soakin weight. I pulled at least 2 quad lengths on him, in just under 500 feet. I know that rider skill has a lot to do with it, the raptor just has more of a top end then the 400ex. ;)

you eat raptors- or you ate a raptor? sounds to me like you ate a raptor, singular, and not plurarl... which sounds about right...

please dont try telling me that the 400ex is faster than a raptor...
the raptor has more everything than the 400ex

250r4life
07-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by AdamEX
last time i was in glamis there was a guy on a raptor 660 with nos and all this other **** and he was getting spanked on my stock 450s. i didn't think raptors were that slow.

well the 2nd to the last time i was at the dunes, i was on a 03 raptor with the stock pipe- baffle removed, a pro flow K&N, and big gun rev limiter, and a 12 sprocket, and i was beating piped 450s and raptors up the hill...

but there is no way i would claim becuase i was on a faster bike...

atvRiDa400ex
07-20-2006, 12:47 PM
how hard is it to take the baffle out of you stock exhaust... and how loud is it? i have a 400ex

plkmonster2
07-21-2006, 10:58 PM
It only makes a pipe louder when you take the baffle out. The 400 is limited inside the pipe. I have a HMF pipe, uni filter, 155 jet, filtered lid, 22 inch worn down 8 paddles, and stock gearing. I can easily start in second on soft or wet sand. I can stay in 3rd on the largest hills at Winchester. If there is no run at the hill, I start in second, and just hold the gas. You could be lean in you dropped in elevation.

atvRiDa400ex
07-22-2006, 01:51 PM
im all stock except of suspension and exhaust system and a few other things... and the biggest hill at dumont (Comp hill) i have to be in second gear all the way up...sucks