PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stem

Mad MikeB
07-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Does anybody have a problem with a creek and movement of the predator steering stem?

Scotty7304
07-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Mine has made a creek noise from day one almost I wouldn't worry to much about it. As far as movement goes maybe you need some new tie rod ends?

Mad MikeB
07-08-2006, 07:33 PM
The movement is up top! I replaced the steering bracket and bushing and after a couple of rides it is back. Do you have movement at that point? It is very little but still it drives me nuts.

Scotty7304
07-08-2006, 07:39 PM
yeah I think it comes from some where around the top of the steering stem I have hardly any play in my steering though like maybe a 1/16th of an inch of play

lepred
07-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Mine was the same until I got the HPD stem with bearing carrier at the top, If feels awsome now and smoothe.

Mad MikeB
07-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks again, I found that same one today looking online. I liked the bearing carrier it looked alot beefier then stock.

wiigstyle
07-12-2006, 06:40 PM
The hpd stem I think is better than the rath stem only for the simple fact that it is a lot more beefier than raths. I especially liked the way that it didn't flex and made handling a lot better!

lepred
07-13-2006, 05:26 AM
yup, HPD the way to go with stemage. Mines 05 +1" over stock hight which sits perdy with the antivibe mount and flexx bars.

Mad MikeB
07-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Looks sweet! I see the lihgts in the fender but what about the ignition key and choke? And how about the flex bars do they make a big difference? Sorry about all the ? but I am getting back into ridding and getting exited to upgrade some parts.

lepred
07-14-2006, 09:47 PM
The ignition key is under the lights and the choke is mounted under the seat. The flex bars are the dux nuts, way worth the extra bones, they dont bend when you roll your quad.

eagledesigncorp
10-07-2006, 06:14 PM
i want to do that same set up can you post a pic of the new key location and how you mounted it
thanks

lepred
10-08-2006, 01:18 AM
here....just drilll the correct size holes and re route the wireing...when I get the new front plastics I will be mounting the key above and to the left of the idiot lights.

lepred
10-08-2006, 01:24 AM
here. Just drill the correct size holes and re-route the wiring, Next time I will be putting the key and lights on the hpd bar mount cos you have to disconnect your lights and ignition when you remove your front plastics, pain in the butt.

project_tecate
10-08-2006, 12:02 PM
is your key mounted under there or just free? Why are your changing your plastics? That set-up looks good the way you have it?

BikerTrash05
10-08-2006, 03:21 PM
lepred, why did you mount the lights and key in the fender when you could have used the HPD clamp? Just for looks?

lepred
10-09-2006, 03:14 AM
diddnt have the HPD stem and mount when I relocated the lights. Had to relocate as I was running the flex bars and Rox risers.

BikerTrash05
10-09-2006, 06:59 AM
Ah, totally understand now. Also explains the want for new plastics.
So you'd reccomend getting the HPD anti-vibe stem first, then the Flexx bars?:p Is both overkill, or perfect?

Mad MikeB
10-10-2006, 07:32 PM
I just put the same set up on my pred! It is an amazing difference.
I ride in very rough areas in Arizona and you can rellay feel the difference when you are done ridding. Also the extra height helps when standing. I put the lights and key in the fender because I did not want to look at the wires on the stem mount it took about 5 minutes.

jrmerk
10-10-2006, 07:57 PM
woods racer - bent my stock stem on a tree route.... replaced my it w/ the hpd on my '05... really like the set up and the placement of bars - running a set of tags - low profile... but all said and done - i still have about ~1/16 to 1/8th inch of play... the one negative on the hpd - atleast w/ mine - the stem hard stop was riding a bit under the frame stops... i had to hammer the hard stops down a bit - just to feel safe about the stem not getting jammed under and possibly sticking after my eratic experiences w/ trees !!!! chrome looks good - bars look good - but if your stocker is in good shape - i'd leave it as is...

ride hard and be safe

jrmerk
10-10-2006, 08:18 PM
by the way - my '05 preddy is for sale for anyone interested... asking $3900... very good shape - hpd steering tem, engine skid plate, pure polaris slip on exhaust, kill switch tether, ims roll front bumper, 22" rarz II's upfront, 20" brand new razr on rear, nerfs...

trail or race ready...

lepred
10-10-2006, 11:37 PM
I am replacing my front plastics as there have been smashed in half and are being held together with wire and cable ties, thats why. Go all out and buy the stem and bars at the same time, it will feel like a new bike.