PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust heat on plastics

Jay300ex
08-17-2002, 11:51 AM
I noticed on my quad today, that on the right side rear plastic, right where that piece of heat tape is located on the opposite side next to the pipe, there is a little dip inwards. I cant remember if this is suppose to be there or not. Its not hurting anything yet, but if any of you have a 300ex can you look to see if there is something there or not? I didnt think there would be that much heat to get through that tape, but umm, dont know if this is suppose to be there.

Jay

Castor-426ex
08-17-2002, 11:53 AM
stock heat tape sucks...when I went to an aftermarket exhaust...i learned that real quick...
I would look around for some thicker tape...moose makes a very high quality tape..but i got mine from a local dealer...and it is awesome...

My wife's first quad was a 300ex and the stock pipe did melt through the plastic..

08-17-2002, 03:14 PM
on my 02 300ex there is a diffrence in the plastic. one side is smooth and one has that bump where the tape is so its no big deal. but Castor is right stock heat tape does suck, so if you get a pipe take it off and put som good stuff on

300exryder
08-17-2002, 03:14 PM
my 300ex has a dip right where it comes closest to the pipe but it didnt go through. I didnt put any heat tape on and the stock stuff is long gone. I guess the plastic is just far enough to prevent the heat from melting through.

Jay300ex
08-18-2002, 12:43 AM
Haha, Thanks guys, I got paranoid for a minute and didnt want to wait another day to go down to the honda shop and check out the other 300ex's ;). Well I would probably be putting some better heat resistant tape on there, its only wise you know, but I rode for a while today got it nice and hot, and that spot was definatly not very hot at all, actually cooler then it is in this other spot where my right leg is always rubbin.

Anyways, thanks again guys.

jay