PDA

View Full Version : Top end

Scott-300ex
07-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Ok so I went over the whole quad, every inch to clean and check and inspect and check torque bolts, head bolt was loose, did not take torque, I took off nut and stud was striped and loose, I could not get it out, I go get another stud and there is a lip on it so you have to take the head off.

So I am going to do a top end, this is wut I was thinkin. Take off motor mount I already got the tank off, take off head, replace stud, scotch brite air grind the piston and head after taping the coolant passages, and I will drain the coolant, blow off the piston and head with air to get all the carbon off of it, new gasket, and put head and rest on. Prolly throw in a new plug.

Questions
I heard a CR250 headgasket raises compression cuz its thinner, "Its the cheapest mod you can do and you can really feel it." Is that true?

So, Does it fit? Does it work? Anyone here done it? WILL I NEED TO REJET?

Is it ok to scotch brite grind an aluminum head?

Any other tips?

Thanks
Scott

TheFontMaster
07-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Yes the CR head gasket is thinner, and will fit. I just took apart the top end in my 250r, and I was told I had a CR head gasket in there. As far as feeling a difference, you will probably notice a little. And you should do a couple plug chops to make shure the jetting is right, and re-jet if it's needed.

Scott-300ex
07-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks

I got it apart, wow it only took me like 30 minutes to get the head off and all that. LoL. I take the head off and the stud falls into my hand, it broke off. So now I gotta run around to all my friends and look for an easy out and drill a hole in the stud and screw it out. I got to order a gasket, and a CR would make it run richer right? And will any year CR work? So It should just be pull the stud out throw the new one back in, wait till I get a gasket and throw that and the head and everything else back on. Lets hope!!!!

I didn't feel much oil on my cylinder. But man the piston and head were not really dirty with carbon at all:eek: They cylinder has a mirror finish on it, a couple scratches but I think its good.

Well I'm off to find me an easy out.

Comments are still wanted

Later

Scott-300ex
07-08-2006, 02:34 PM
For those of you who care, LoL

Scott-300ex
07-08-2006, 02:36 PM
The dang thing that made this whole thing happen. Came out with ease, center punched a hole, drilled a 1/8 inch hole in it, easy outed it out with an easy out I got at my uncles. Got it out then threaded the new one in after putting some water tight stuff on it since it runs into the coolant flow. Now I gotta just wait for a gasket. After I order it cuz I gotta know wut year CR 250 one to get, help is appreciated!

Scott-300ex
07-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Head, pretty clean I think.

Scott-300ex
07-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Oh my buetiful hands in that too:D

Here she is. Down to the bone.

matt250r21
07-09-2006, 08:51 PM
You want an 89 CR250 head gasket, Honda part # is 12254-KZ3-000. I would not scotch bright any gasket surfaces unless you want them to leak! Yes it will raise comp a little and you will feel a difference. I would jet a little richer and do plug chops to dial it in. Check your comp so you dont melt your motor with to low an octane fuel.

Scott-300ex
07-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks a lot dude.

I just ordered a CR250 Head Gasket today cuz the guy at the Honda shop thought it was an 89. So I jump on here to get a quick answer to wut year it is and you just let me know. So Thanks Again man.

Wouldn't it make it richer cuz the same amount of gas going into a smaller area? I don't know how thinner it is than the stock one but the piston should draw in the same intake, or with more fuel to make it richer I would think, but comments are welcome.

So you think I will have to run higher gas than 93 for this mod?

Thanks a lot man.

Wut is stock compression on a 89 250r? And mine has a Cool Head as well.

I called the Pro Design guy and asked him if the piston to head clearance and everything else would be ok to put the CR250 gasket on a 250r, and he's like "Oh ok, you just want a thinner gasket to throw on there? Yeh, that will fit and it will be fine." That guy knows wut he's talking about, he knew wut I wanted to do and why. I was impressed.