PDA

View Full Version : leak down test results

lee37vernon
07-08-2006, 04:48 AM
need advice on results

lucky i did a leak down test , never done one before or heard of it before going on this forum . would not hold any pressure , found thta the dealer who did all case bearings and seals had not driven the left crank seal home so it wasnt fully on crank . i've pressed it home and have the following results . i think it'll be ok but a 2 nd opinion would be good --

start at 7.5psi ( 1/2 bar on 1 bar guage)

6 minutes - 5.5 psi

9 minutes 4.5 psi

19 minutes - 3 psi

i just checked the last one and seeing as its still holding pressure after that time i'm assuming all will be ok , especially when warmed up and run in a bit .

anyone wanna add there two cents ..??

BLACKeR
07-08-2006, 02:23 PM
personally i would not be happy with a 2psi drop in 6 min. i would spray down the suspicious areas with some kind of foaming agent, ie. soapy water simple green etc. chances are the leak is just coming from one of your plugs you put in or the leak down test assemble itself.

lee37vernon
07-08-2006, 08:04 PM
ok , everyone of the same opinion ??

xlr810
07-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Depends how much of a perfectionist you are...

That small an amount isn't going be noticable in jetting or the way it runs.

Like BLACKeR said, though it is probably just a leak in your testing assembly.

Me. I'd keep looking for the leak-- if I didn't find it (might be hard since it is a slow leak) I'd be tempted to run it through a heat cycle or 2, then re-test. Sometimes the seals nead to be warmed up good to do their thing.

Good luck!

BLACKeR
07-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Me. I'd keep looking for the leak-- if I didn't find it (might be hard since it is a slow leak) I'd be tempted to run it through a heat cycle or 2, then re-test. Sometimes the seals nead to be warmed up good to do their thing.

+1

hang1p
07-09-2006, 01:22 AM
same, should only drop about a 1/2lb in 5 min

lee37vernon
07-09-2006, 03:17 AM
the engine is on the bench at the minute so i cant run it up , have soaped it but only found the leak i mentioned . i will keep looking .

could i warm the engine with a hairdryer or a hot air gun to simulate a warm up ?

peeping TOM
07-09-2006, 06:19 AM
lee. have used washing up liquid a little water mixed,to test for leaks , iv;e found its just the intake where u plug it that leaks .which BLACKeR is saying...

lee37vernon
07-09-2006, 01:06 PM
thats what i used , i'm gonna try some of my daughters bubbles ( for blowing ) mix tomorrow ..... well bubbly .

the only place i cant see is the other crank seal because i have the clutch and all on now . debating to pull it all off again or not ?

will try a warm test tomorrow too .

lee37vernon
07-10-2006, 12:23 PM
sorted , now NO LOSS of pressure . the plumbing fittings i'd used to make the tester had an o ring in that didn't hold air great . bit super glue sorted that . also using kiddies bubbles was much better than washing up liquid .. ;)

thanks , guys