PDA

View Full Version : Securing the ATV

Jomar
07-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Question - I use a flat bed trailer to haul the atv. Is it better to tie down the quad from the upper sections, thus compressing the suspension for the haul or should I secure it from the lower sections to avoid compressing the shocks?

I don't know if it puts unneeded stress to the shocks and would like some advice.

Thanks,

J

theTman
07-07-2006, 04:06 PM
ive always compressed the shocks...do the same thing with dirtbikes

peacefrog
07-09-2006, 10:06 AM
new to the sport (3 Years) by buddy for years ties it from front to back of the nerf bars. Been doing it 3 years rides nice an supension flows with the highway. Good luck figuring out what works best

brapbrap13
07-09-2006, 03:23 PM
grab bar in the rear and my frame in the front.

fatkid400
08-04-2006, 03:46 PM
I always tie to the foot pegs on a quad.I know on dirt bikes if you tie them down to tight youll blow the fork seals.fyi

-copyguy-
08-05-2006, 07:16 AM
I tie to the pegs too.

fatkid400
08-05-2006, 07:09 PM
hey hey! Another 1 I thought I was the only 1. My buddies think I'm nuts! But I've never had any problems with them coming lose that way.And I use friction straps instead of ratchets,And they think I'm nuts for that to.Please tell me you use frictions to so I can prove I'm not nuts:D

-copyguy-
08-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Nope, I don't use friction straps... My bro used to use them to tie his ramps to his truck (w/ 36" tires) until one of them decided to let go while he was loading up his grizzly 660...the ramp kicked out and he ended up pretty banged up from the fall. Luckily the griz didn't exactly land on him...he got away from it but still messed his shoulder up.

I tie to pegs, but use ratchets to do it.

fatkid400
08-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Man he was lucky,A grizzly landing on him could've REALLY messed him up.Glad he wasnt hurt to bad.
I have never had a friction strap do that.you have to watch what type your using,The real"slick"material 1's I can see maybe but I buy the soft "cloth" type and they've never failed.

firefighterjosh
08-07-2006, 03:12 AM
I Always go from frame to trailer and compress the suspension.

If the suspension isn't compressed the bouncin action will loosten straps. Trust me I have had a rool away quad. Luckly the trailer had sides.

noissesboyobyal
08-12-2006, 01:52 PM
when i had my shee and my friend has a 400ex we used to just throw them on my 12x6 tralier with the parking brake and they never came off. the tralier has like foot high side rails, but when we go on longer trips we usually just use one to tie them togather, one to tie the back quad to the tralier and one to tie the front one to the front of the tralier.... never failed us.

sunco
08-23-2006, 07:55 PM
I haul 4 quads on a flatbed. I always hook on the frame. If you do the suspension its bounces & you can have the quad move around when the road gets bad. I have also switched to the rachet. Much easier for me to make sure they stay put.

rooster300ex
08-25-2006, 11:30 PM
I've never had any trouble doing it like this. And i also have a flat bed 16' car hauler.

Ratchet Straps for sure. First i put the quad in 1st gear just in case something does go wrong. never put your quad into gear to hold it in place on a trailer without straps. I put one on the rear grab bar and compress the susp. just alil then i put one on the front grab bar, and compress the susp. alil. When i have both of them alil tight then i ratchet them down just enough so the quad isn't moving much. You can use the frame to compress the susp. too. Over tightening can cause the straps to break. I'm pretty sure if you use some boomers and chains you don't have to compress the susp. to keep it from moving when you hit some pot holes.

firefighterjosh
08-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Even though you racheted them down it still isn't good to put them in gear. When you rachet the quad down the force in the rachet is now puttin all that tension through your gear box.

peacefrog
09-25-2006, 07:51 PM
I have my quad on a trailer sum time for 15 hours (No place fun in Kansas to ride) from back to back of nerf bars both sides an from front to front of nerf bars both sides. I dont like to conpress my supention for a long time. At first kinda trips you out think the bike is going to bounce out butt never has yet. Peace an rip sum sh*# up

mustang25
10-01-2006, 06:59 AM
ive always compressed the shocks. I put one tie on the grab bar, and one on the front bumper. Then i tighten it as far as it goes.

Stein2088
11-10-2006, 07:09 AM
altho compressing the shocks for long periods of time is never great, its really the only true way to haul them... unless you have a bike i found this works GREAT!!!! (it might even work for quads too) get some E track and a bike stand put the Etrack on the floor of you FUN Mover Box trailor or w/e place the stand over the etrack and get a loop for the E track put ur bike on the stand and go from the pegs to the loop.... i forget the name of the bolt but i think its the best way to go you literally bolt your bikes to your trailor takes a lil extra time but you dont compress your suspension for thoes long hauls and its all solid.... The Etrak makes everything moveable so if you wanna haul more bikes you just slide your stand over and get morel loops...

SandShark400
11-24-2006, 12:38 AM
have you seen those one tire straps that literally are made to go over the tire like tire chains and strap to the sides of your trailer or whatever, no compression whatsoever

450rJam
01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
good idea, have any pics ?

I tie to the pegs/frame and leave it in gear also.
on short trips (to car wash, local track, etc.)

I put first one on (in gear) and tie from pegs toward the rear.

then the second one (in gear) and tie from pegs to the front of trailer.

rumme
01-10-2007, 07:10 PM
I take steel bars and weld them to the frame of my atv and then weld the other ends to my truck bed...when I get to the place I want to ride at, I break out the grinder and just cut it loose...

every now and then when Im feeling lazy, I will just tie the ATV up by all the cables and fenders and strap it to the truck..

peacefrog
01-10-2007, 07:21 PM
I used to weld mine down, then I got a smaller truck an have no room for the welder an m grinder. Its a great idea

rumme
01-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by peacefrog
I used to weld mine down, then I got a smaller truck an have no room for the welder an m grinder. Its a great idea

:D :eek: :cool: :D :rolleyes:

j450rking
01-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by rumme
I take steel bars and weld them to the frame of my atv and then weld the other ends to my truck bed...when I get to the place I want to ride at, I break out the grinder and just cut it loose...

every now and then when Im feeling lazy, I will just tie the ATV up by all the cables and fenders and strap it to the truck..

wow i have read some of your posts and you are not funny you think you are but your not and if your serious then just WOW:scary:

peacefrog
01-15-2007, 05:40 AM
You supposed to strap them down?

450rJam
01-15-2007, 03:08 PM
awwwwww come on j450rking,

they are just having fun, if you dont think its funny thats ok
but you dont have to rain on their parade.

life isnt that serious

peacefrog
01-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Sum one else was talking about welding there **** in there truck an i came back being funny if you can't take a joke then sorry your life is so dam serious. Will quit replying if it upsets you

ida400ex
03-28-2007, 11:43 AM
i use friction straps on mine and have never had one come loose. i hook one strap on my axcle and one on my a-arms. i dont like to compress my suspention.

Rob Jones
10-20-2007, 10:17 PM
I like these. I got a set of Chinese knock offs but I want these. They are self retracting so you dont have to untangle or roll them up.
I go from the frame to the trailer sides. Compressing the suspension.

glamiskid395
01-04-2008, 11:34 AM
just read this thread

i have a 24' enclosed trailer, only used one strap on the two bikes up front, a strap on a peg to the floor.
two bikes up on a homemade rack are held on my two straps each. one strap around the mid part of the frame to the front of teh rack, the other wraps around the foot pegs to the rear of the rack.
but now we used 4 straps on my 400 when its up on the rack, cuz this last trip, all the straps (ratchet) came off completely and the bike fell forward onto the 450s up front. luckily no bike was hurt/scratched.

pic of the rack with bikes

bama06300ex
12-03-2008, 10:56 AM
I know this is a little off subject, but it still applies here. I spaz about tying up my ends of my ratchet straps cause they always frey or just get on my nerves flapping around. So when I get a lttle tension on the strap I get the loose end and line it up with the ratchet so that the next few cranks will pull the loose end into the ratchet.

I hired a graphic design company to put my idea into picture form so here we go.. of course, the red is the strap. The black thing in the middle is the ratchet. And the green part is the loose end.

450rJam
12-03-2008, 04:08 PM
I just use electrical tape to hold the loose ends (so when I stop for fuel, food, etc. I can tighten them up if needed

use any color OTHER than black

the black will leave a nasty residue of the glue, colors come off clean

tater_kamik
12-03-2008, 07:19 PM
for bikes i use four straps typically. i use this piece that goes across the handle bars and strap from there with ratcheting straps only so that each strap provides protection from movement both from the bike going forward or backwards since when driving, pressure is placed on the bike going both ways. I then find two more mounting points on either side of the frame in the rear so that i can compress the rear about the same amount as it would as i would be sitting on it. Those are also set up to prevent forward and rear movement. reason for doing this is that straps will inevitably fail, doesnt matter whether it has happened to you yet or not. cinch straps are worthless imo, i wouldnt trust anything with them as the moment they get wet they will slip and probably will when dry.
for quads i typically use 3-4 as well. one from the rear grab bar, one from the front bumper, and then two wherever is needed keeping in mind what will happen if one fails.
for bikes and quads i only will use one inch ratchet straps that i trust. if there is possible rubbing areas, use a tough material in the area that could rub to prevent damage and or strap failure.
for vehicles i only use 10k chains and devices. two pulling forward on either side of the frame, two pulling back on either side of the frame, and two in the mid as i see fit typically.
for all vehicles and quads ets, when i am securing them, they will be in nuetral. once fully secured i place them into park/ gear.