PDA

View Full Version : weisco 440 kit???????????

kfx400isdashiz
07-07-2006, 10:12 AM
what exactaly is needed to be done with the weisco 440 kit and has anyone been sucessful with it? is it as easy and replacing the sleave and sliding the piston in?

GPracer2500
07-07-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm assuming your talking about for your KFX.

The Wiseco sleeve and piston is the most economical way to get a larger bore in your engine. But there's a couple things you should know. Your stock cylinder doesn't have a steel sleeve. It's one solid piece of aluminum. The reason the aluminum cylinder wall is up to the job is because it is coated with a super-hard and super-thin surface treatment (similar to Nikasil, which you may have heard of but I think Suzuki calls it something different). So, the options for a big bore are to bore your cylinder and have it re-plated, bore your cylinder and have a sleeve installed, or buy an entirely new aftermarket cylinder that is designed with a larger bore from the get-go.

The sleeve route is almost certainly the least expensive (followed by boring/replating, and then a whole new cylinder). And sleeving works just fine as long as the sleeve installation is done correctly. You'll want to find a machinest that has experience with installing sleeves in similar cylinders. If the sleeving isn't done right then you'll have problems down the road. Installing the sleeve is NOT something you can do yourself.

Other than installing the sleeve and piston I'm not aware of additional steps that need to be taken. The 400EX, for example, needs a couple extra steps--namely better head studs--for most big bore settups. But I've not heard of the LTZ/KFX engine requiring anything like that [shrug].

The easiest, most expensive, and (arguably) the best route is to go with an aftermarket cylinder. Search around the web for Athena big bore kits if you want to explore that option. The Athena kits are basically a bolt-on affair. The nice thing is you can keep or sell your stock cylinder. Before you decide be sure to consider ALL the costs of each option. The Wiseco might only cost $200 (or whatever) but after you add in installation an aftermarket cylinder might not look quite so expensive (especially if you sell your stock cylinder on Ebay or something).

If your going with a big bore than I'd suggest looking into some new cams also.

Hope that helps!

ETA: Here's an Athena kit ($600-$700)
http://woodwardspecialties.com/images/products/engine/athena.jpg