PDA

View Full Version : Bold new graphics for 07

250Renvy
07-06-2006, 08:02 PM
It floors me that atvs outsell dirtbikes, snowmobiles and personal watercraft combined and the best they can do each year is come out with bold new graphics. Yamaha did it for years with the blaster and warrior and banshee, now honda continues to do it with the 300ex and 400ex. What about gas shocks, removable ball joints. Reverse was an upgrade for the 400 but it's retarded to use.

Why can't they just make subtle improvements each year like they do with dirtbikes?

AR15 guy
07-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Why spend money on R&D and production costs when they are already making tons of money off them?

250Renvy
07-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Obviously, but I don't see why they can't upgrade the shocks on all the models to rebuildable gas shocks and make all the stock a-arms rebuildable with removable ball joints and slightly stonger rims or better tires - maybe actually 4-6 ply vs always 2. Stock tires wear down so fast.

I know - because it's more money in their pocket and that we have to put out for parts.

underpowered
07-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Obviously, but I don't see why they can't upgrade the shocks on all the models to rebuildable gas shocks and make all the stock a-arms rebuildable with removable ball joints and slightly stonger rims or better tires - maybe actually 4-6 ply vs always 2. Stock tires wear down so fast.

I know - because it's more money in their pocket and that we have to put out for parts.

they have many reasons for not doing those things.
-rebuildable shocks: not all quads are made to race so they would not be of much use on some quads. plus even with the ones on the 450r, the majority of people still replace them with aftermarket shocks anyway. just not practicall to spend money on somehting that only a small portion of the customer base would actually just.

stronger rims: the DID dirtstar is that honda uses is one of the strongest aluminium wheels out there next to a race ring wheel or a beadlock..

the removable ball joints i can see as a usefull thing, since the ball joints will eventually need to be replaced on anything.

ATV's serve a mach broader sprectrum of people than dirt bikes do. do you really ever see someone jsut putting along a trail on a CRF450? If they are on a trail, they usually arent going slow. but say on a 400ex, peopel race them and use them for just a slow leisurly(sp?) trail ride. they build them to suit eveyone, not one specific group.

quad handler
07-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
It floors me that atvs outsell dirtbikes, snowmobiles and personal watercraft combined and the best they can do each year is come out with bold new graphics. Yamaha did it for years with the blaster and warrior and banshee, now honda continues to do it with the 300ex and 400ex. What about gas shocks, removable ball joints. Reverse was an upgrade for the 400 but it's retarded to use.

Why can't they just make subtle improvements each year like they do with dirtbikes?

Just what are you looking for them to do, fly??? I got away from snowmobile forums because of talk like this, everyone is expecting something brand new and wild every year, I like something that is proven, dont get me wrong I love upgrades but not everyone would be able to afford the perfect quad, I run (and always will run) a stock quad. If the Manufacter put all the stuff that you are looking for on every quad, no one would be able to afford one, they would be priced over 10 grand. Also when a lot of guys buy a stock quad and pipe it put shocks on etc. they make it there own, kind of a pride deal. So for me, trickle in the up grade and show me the BNG'S...

Off subject, good to see underpowered back, I learned a lot from that guy.....

GPracer2500
07-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
they have many reasons for not doing those things.
-rebuildable shocks: not all quads are made to race so they would not be of much use on some quads. plus even with the ones on the 450r, the majority of people still replace them with aftermarket shocks anyway. just not practicall to spend money on somehting that only a small portion of the customer base would actually just.

stronger rims: the DID dirtstar is that honda uses is one of the strongest aluminium wheels out there next to a race ring wheel or a beadlock..

the removable ball joints i can see as a usefull thing, since the ball joints will eventually need to be replaced on anything.

ATV's serve a mach broader sprectrum of people than dirt bikes do. do you really ever see someone jsut putting along a trail on a CRF450? If they are on a trail, they usually arent going slow. but say on a 400ex, peopel race them and use them for just a slow leisurly(sp?) trail ride. they build them to suit eveyone, not one specific group.

Excellent. I wanted to respond in this thread but I couldn't quite get my thoughts together. That answer feels just right.

Plenty of people buy a new MX bike almost every year to keep up with the constant updates. But how many people are going to buy a new 400EX just to get revised porting or new susp valving? Not many. If a person is the type that would then they're more likely to be on a 450r. They DO get updates more often.