PDA

View Full Version : front end handling problem

44oEX
07-06-2006, 06:36 PM
hi
ok well I have a +2 JB LT front end on my 450R with some LT elka's...I noticed that when I turn the bars all the way to the sides, the inside tire doesn't kick out at the end like I did stock...normaly with the stock front end, the inside tire kicks out a little when you turn the bar all the way to make it turn sharper.

Well right now it's not doing that, nothing is bent and everything is set up like it should ( toe in/out ).

I have rims that are offset and I was thinking that could be the reason, so I put on some stock rims just to see and it does the same think.

It wouldn't really be a problem but on the track I can't turn tight enough and it's ending up to be a big problem, I have to slow way down to make the tight turns.

someone please help

DieselTech
07-06-2006, 07:15 PM
1. What kind of steering stem do you have? Stock?

2. What length tie rod tubes do you have? +2 or stock?

3. Are the steering arms stock or aftermarket?

Are you SURE that the front end is set up correctly? The type of rims has no effect on this. The "kick out" of the inside tire is called "toe-out on turns", or more accurately, the Ackerman angle. It is a design element of the steering arms (at each hub) and the "arms" at the lower end of the steering stem, as well as the tie rod tubes (length, but this is not as important as the design of the arms & stem so long as toe is correct).

Have you measured the toe, or are you eyeballing it?

JW450R1
07-06-2006, 07:22 PM
i just got done adjusting my toe.i was told 1/4 from the back left to right inside of tire to the front side as well.also u can adjust from 1/4 to 1/2 inch pending on tires,track and rider preference

44oEX
07-07-2006, 02:31 PM
steering stem is stock, tie rods came with the a-arms and they are +2 ( theres no way to run the stock ones anyway ) and if they where the wrong size there would be no way to set them.

And yes it's the ackerman thats the problem, I have none ( I just didn't want to get technical haha ).

I have the toe in set at 1/8-1/4 don't remember exacly.

everything seems ok and nothing is bent thats why I can't figure it out.

Pappy
07-07-2006, 02:37 PM
dont most manufactures design thier stem to work with thier LT front ends? They change the tie rod plate hieght so the tie rods dont bind or so i thought

44oEX
07-07-2006, 03:44 PM
I didn't think about that, you could be right...I hope not tho cause I checked and there stems are 350$ ( fair price but I don't have it lol ) so I'll just hope your wrong.

i'll e-mail them and find out....thanks

bwamos
07-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by DieselTech
Have you measured the toe, or are you eyeballing it?

Wouldnt the ackerman angle be a byproduct of the caster and camber combination of tha a-arms. Toe-in shouldnt affect that much at all.

44oEX
07-08-2006, 09:08 PM
yeah I did set the toe in and mesured it's it's not just eyeball...I just don't remember the exact setting

Over-land 450r
07-08-2006, 09:25 PM
can you adjust the upper a-arms were they meeet the frame?

44oEX
07-10-2006, 02:01 PM
no I can't the a-arms are camber ajust only, I can't adjust the caster.

Pappy you where right, they e-mailed me back and basicly said theres nothing I can do unless I buy there 350$ steering stem :mad: ...so i'm super wide with ****ty handling:huh