PDA

View Full Version : quick question, how do i get this off.

brapbrap13
07-06-2006, 03:14 PM
how do i get my brake caliper mounting bracket off. my bearings let go and i didnt notice and my axle bent the edge of the carrier around the bracket so its stuck on there. i managed to get the c clip off but no i cant slid the bracket off becuase of this lip. wat should i do?

brapbrap13
07-06-2006, 03:15 PM
another

Phills450r
07-06-2006, 03:19 PM
i dont know if this will REALLY help much but when i replaced my bearing carrier my dad took a "punch" long enough and stuck it through on the other side and hammered it out

Scro
07-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Try grinding down the "lipped part" with a grinder of some kind.

ELewandowski
07-06-2006, 04:45 PM
I just took mine off, and I used a heavy hand hammer. I put a small peice of wood against the inside of the bracket(to prevent carnage), and just starting beating on it. It came off pretty quick.

brapbrap13
07-06-2006, 05:26 PM
i used my sledge hammer. and beat the living ***** out of the bracket and it came off. then tapped the carrier out of the swingarm.

07-06-2006, 06:32 PM
i can't tell from the pic, but did you take off the spring clip? if it is already off, you just ahve to be patient and slowly and methodically beat it off

Chino
07-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Your gonna have to get a new carrier none the less. Just as well get a big hammer and beat the brake stay off of the carrier. You can tell by looking at the pic how much damage the lip of the carrier has already taken, I personally wouldn't trust the snap ring holding "if" you did get it back on. I'd go ahead and replace it with a dual row carrier and keep an eye on it so it does not happen again.

wanta450
07-06-2006, 07:20 PM
just done this this week on a friend if you carriers junk get a hacksaw and put it in the circleclip groove and cut that edge off then tap off the mount it should work

jeremy_283
07-07-2006, 08:10 PM
k

rooster300ex
07-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Next time you might wanna swipe a powerwasher arcross your quad before you tear into ****. makes it where you can see things you couldn't with it caked with mud and grease.

to be on the positive side, i would get a dremel and grind off enough so you can hit it hard with a hard rubber hammer. it should pop off. your carrier looks kinna rough too,and don't forget if you axle has burrs where the seals ride, make sure you smooth it back up. i bet it will execpt some new bearings and seals though.

tim42038
07-09-2006, 08:54 PM
take your time and file the lip down be patient with it. dont beat it off that might make things worst you might have to replace the carrier .if you do go with a double row bearing carrier

alaskin 450R
07-10-2006, 10:59 AM
dude you guys are all dumb *****s, on the out side of that mount there is a clip. its hard to see it in that picture. but there is a 70 mm curclip. there is a speciel tool that you use to take if off then that mount just slids right off. on this clip you should see that there is two little holes very close to each other. you take this tool and put the ends in that hole and slide that clip right off. im 110% sure. ive replaced many axle bearrings in my bikes. just go down to your local napa or honda dealer and tell them and they will let you no what tool to use.

tim42038
07-10-2006, 12:09 PM
dude if the clip is already removed us dumb ***** might know what we are talking about

Iliketogofast
07-10-2006, 12:23 PM
When I did it, I think I remember smashing the **** out of it with a rubber mallet from behind. I did have to replace the piece, and I don't remember if I screwed it up when the bearings went out or if I did it when I hit it with the hammer ::D

Moto250X_Rider
07-10-2006, 11:29 PM
some carriers have a seal right befor the brake bracket....that will stop it from coming off look and see if u have one on there if so just pull that off and it will come off pretty easywith a board and a hammer tap it off so u don't bang it up....i forgot mine had one took me a few min to remeber...once i pulled it out...it came right off....that might be your problem....don't take a grinder to it....

fastrider450r
07-12-2006, 04:28 PM
just do what wanta450 said and take the curclip out and just put your hacksaw blade into the place were your curclip was and just cut the little bit of the rounded edge right off. Then it will come right out, because your carrier is destroyed.he and I should know because it was mine that we did it with just last week.