PDA

View Full Version : Putting Top-End On, Torque Specs...

WheelieMan4
07-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Hey everyone, I need to know what all I need for specs and what not for putting my quad back together. I already have all the specs from that article in the articlle section on this site. Do I need to know anything about the timing or what?? Sorry to be stupid, but the service manual I ordered from my dealership was the damn owners manual...:cuss:...but anyways...PICTURES of anything would be nice also. Or if someone has the cd version that they could send me a couple of the pages or something...Someone please help me out, thanks alot.

By the way, I really need to know this by Friday! Thanks.

hotrodbelair
07-06-2006, 11:40 AM
ill try and find my owners manual and scan a couple pages and put them on here. what all do you need pictures of?

WheelieMan4
07-07-2006, 08:07 AM
do you mean service manual? if so then pics of anything dealing with the piston/cam/timing/ANYTHING...but im doing it today at 6pm central...so by then please!!!

ANYONE ELSE KNOW ANYTHING THAT I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE I ATTACK THIS??

GPracer2500
07-07-2006, 05:21 PM
For timing the cam:
-Set the piston at TDC (use the "T" mark on the flywheel).
-There are two indexing marks (small dashes) on the cam sprocket, those marks should be flush with the surface of the head.
-Lobes up or down doesn't really matter, but it's easier to just install with the lobes down. If you go lobes up that's fine but don't forget to rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees before you reinstall the valve cover.

Head nuts get: 33 ft/lbs (on a stock build--could be different depending on studs and whatnot)
Valve cover bolts get: 9 ft/lbs (go by hand if you don't have a good 1/4 drive torque wrench. 9 isn't a lot)
The one larger valve cover bolt gets: 20 ft/lbs or 17 ft/lbs depending on where in the manual you look :ermm:

Don't forget to retract the plunger on the cam chain tensioner before you bolt it up.

GPracer2500
07-07-2006, 05:26 PM
If your using a stock cam don't forget the little plunger and spring that go in that little hole in the head. It's for the auto decompression mechanism on the stock camshaft. Quad won't run without it.

WheelieMan4
07-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Got it back together...thanks for all the help, it was alot easier then i had expected to do also...time to re-jet it now!!