PDA

View Full Version : What is a poker run?

Crazy lil punk
07-05-2006, 08:31 PM
?????????????

Mean250r
07-05-2006, 08:38 PM
i just asked some one recently lol. Its a race and at the check points they give you a card. And who ever has the best hand at the end wins

440racer66
07-05-2006, 08:56 PM
yea what he said some trail ones encorage SLOW DRIVING haha most guys just haul a

07-05-2006, 09:02 PM
I'd race in that...That'd be awesome. It's like Texas Hold 'em...Quad version.

07-05-2006, 09:09 PM
crazy lil punk if you thinkin of the one at chats ill be doin it to its my first time soo we can be newbs togethor :)

07-05-2006, 09:38 PM
I didnt know what a poker run was also:D

400exrules
07-05-2006, 09:58 PM
ive never done a poker run, but ive done a turkey run. man that was a blast but of course i was actin like a tard and racin the d@mn thing lol.

At a turkey run, usually a local club will put it on, but the way they do it here, they show you a marker(usually some sort of noticable small painted object) at the beginning of the turkey run, and you have to cruise through the trails and look everwhere(up in trees, down on stumps, etc.) for this marker which will be bolted into the trees, and when you see that, you get off the bike and begin to look within a 50 ft. radius for a punch. (holepuncher) and you punch your card, each punch has a different shape.....person with the most correct punches wins.

bansheexcracer2
07-05-2006, 11:05 PM
we have one here in a month that i ma doin but it is different. At each checkpoint you get a piece of paper saying you stopped then at the end you get all your cards at once. It is for lawn mowers so im thinkin of putttin the banshee motor in my mower lol.

400exrida06
07-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by bansheexcracer2
we have one here in a month that i ma doin but it is different. At each checkpoint you get a piece of paper saying you stopped then at the end you get all your cards at once. It is for lawn mowers so im thinkin of putttin the banshee motor in my mower lol.

Lmfao, that sounds like a blast :D

07-06-2006, 04:58 AM
it is not a race. you ride the marked trail and receive 5 cards along the way. the first card is usually given when you register, there are 3 more along the trail and then one at the end. you don't carry the cards with you. you are givena number when you register and the workers mark what card you pulled. afterwards, when everyone is off the trail, the promotors figure out the best hand sand send the winnings to that person in the mail.

there is also a variation called a dice run where you roll die(6 die). again 5 rolls total and the winner is the one that rolls the lowest wins. some of these runs dice runs pay out for both low and high rolls.

they are fun, but not a race. we usually ride hard and afst for a little while and stop once or twice between checkpoints to bs nad have a cold non-alcoholic beverage of course.

I will be going to the callensburg, PA poker run on July 29th and the redbank valley, PA poker run on September 9th

Crazy lil punk
07-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Marshmello
crazy lil punk if you thinkin of the one at chats ill be doin it to its my first time soo we can be newbs togethor :)

newbs united!!! lol, are u doing it on a dirtbike? and do they have differnt divisions for dirtbikes and quads? And do you get to see the card? or do u just pick one?,,,,,,lol I sound like a super newb now

KWAD GAWD
07-06-2006, 08:32 AM
This ^^ is what they originally were, the the cards and all... around here, they still call these events "Poker Runs" originally Harleys and road bikes did this, then the ATV world started calling organized trail rides "Poker Runs" too. Our local Sportsman Clubs have trail rides they call Poker Runs, no cards involved - just lunch and a $10 fee.

07-06-2006, 08:35 AM
nope, you are competing for the best hand not the fastest time, so there is no division between dirt bikes, quads, men, women, etc.
you pull the card and look at it, then show the worker, thyey usually give youa sticker to put on your helmet with your rider number on. show them that sticker and your card, they find the rider number on their list write down what card you drew and put the card back into a pile and swish it around to shuffle the deck.

one time i had drawn a queen of diamonds on the first draw, then a kind of diamonds, then an ace of diamonds, then a 10 of diamonds, and finally my last card was a 6 of spades. i thought the whole time i was going to win. dang 6 of spades.

they are fun

nowukno
07-06-2006, 09:45 AM
I've been in about 5 poker runs with up to 500 quads in each one. You get one card when you sign up and you get a wrist band with a # on it. You make 4 more stops and draw a card out of a bag and they will right down your card and the # on your wrist band ofcourse. At the end of the day everyone gathers around and they announce the winner on a bullhorn. They paid $650 for the best hand and $650 for the worst hand. Its very fun and takes a few hours to get all the cards. At the end they always have a huge pig roast. Here is the invite i got in the mail for the last one in april..........

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/nowukno/pOkierruN.jpg