PDA

View Full Version : Sidewall Puncture Lo-Pro's

Iliketogofast
07-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I got a sidewall puncture in my brand new low profile tires. I don't know how it got there, but it leaks bad.

Are there any temporary fixes til the new one comes in the mail, or even better, a permanent one? I stuck a wood screw in there and it holds the air good, but that's really ghetto and I don't think it's very safe, either. I need something I can ride around with til I can get a new one.

Scro
07-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Are you talking about quad tire, or a car tire. For a quad, you don't need to buy a new tire, just buy some plugs to plug it up.

Iliketogofast
07-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Car.

Scro
07-05-2006, 01:58 PM
There's not much you can do about a puncture in the sidewall. You can try a patch, but more than likely it won't last long because of flex in the tire.

Iliketogofast
07-05-2006, 02:07 PM
There isn't much flex when the tires are aired to the reccomended pressure - they are only 2 inches tall. It still wouldn't work? I can't belive the screw has lasted so long. I think I've driven 100 miles on it already, but I'm scared to death when I do that it will pop out and I will be stranded.

Scro
07-05-2006, 02:14 PM
I've seen people put patches in sidewalls before, but everyone I've talked to says that a patch will eventually come unglued. If it's already off the rim, a tire shop should be able to tell you if they can do anything with it. It shouldn't be over 20 bucks to fix, if fixable:ermm:

ELewandowski
07-05-2006, 02:15 PM
I would suggest putting it on the rear if you havent already incase it does blow. There is no fix for a sidewall. You can try putting an apoxy on the woodscrew before screwing it in for a better seal until you get your new rubber.

gbcap
07-05-2006, 02:21 PM
temp fix:

plug for a tire store, but on the sidewall there isn't much chance of it holding up. and YES there is alot more flex then you think. they are constantly rolling and twisting and bouncing around. it will work itself loose.

i would suggest moving it to the back like someone else said. so you don't loose steering if you pop the tire.

permanent fix: new tire.

Iliketogofast
07-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by ELewandowski
I would suggest putting it on the rear if you havent already incase it does blow. There is no fix for a sidewall. You can try putting an apoxy on the woodscrew before screwing it in for a better seal until you get your new rubber.

When I put the screw in I used some of the rubber glue that comes in tire patch kits. I drained it in a little cup and dipped the screw in it before I put it into the tire.

Blue250X
07-05-2006, 04:28 PM
can you get the tire off the rim and put a patch on the inside?? that would prolly hold better

ITSTOCK
07-05-2006, 05:26 PM
A shop will patch a small puncture, no problem. The patches/plugs are self-vulcunizing, essentially becoming part of the tire. EDIT DO TO SIDEWALL: Patch anywhere but the sidewall, it's NOT a good idea and IS a safety concern.

If it weren't in the sidewall, I would patch it without thinking, it's MUCH better than spending the $300+ (plus installation) I just spent per tire :(

MOFO
07-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by ITSTOCK

I would patch it without thinking, it's MUCH better than spending the $300+ (plus installation) I just spent per tire :(

I wouldnt trust a patch in the sidewall, especially if you push your call at all. The tires on your car are one of the most important items... spend the money and get a new tire.

ITSTOCK
07-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Correct do to sidewall damage...:(

exrider360
07-05-2006, 06:03 PM
thsi is the worng thread

but i just got a set of 18's for my car and i usualy had 15 and i was wondering ho wmuch my speedo will be off.

ITSTOCK
07-05-2006, 06:09 PM
that depends on the overall height of the tire, not the rim.

Originally posted by exrider360
thsi is the worng thread

but i just got a set of 18's for my car and i usualy had 15 and i was wondering ho wmuch my speedo will be off.

440racer66
07-05-2006, 10:04 PM
rent a car itll be a whole lot cheaper than a new rim

gbcap
07-06-2006, 06:09 AM
thsi is the worng thread

What was your original tire size...and what is your tire size now...

there are alot of graphs online that should hlep you figure out what your looking for.

Iliketogofast
07-06-2006, 06:33 AM
thsi is the worng thread

You have to measure the entire diameter of the tire+wheels. The wheels might be 3 inches bigger, but the tires might also be 3 inches smaller which would mean that it will make no difference.