PDA

View Full Version : Head porting recommendations

MMcCannon
07-05-2006, 10:38 AM
I am sure this has been brought up before but I don't see anything recent in the search...who do you guys recommend for head porting and valve angle jobs. I would love to send it to a big name builder but $$$ is def. an issue. I am interested in a mild to med. port w/ a 3 angle valve job. I will also be putting in a 11.5 to 1 comp. piston and a stg2 hotcam. Any advice would be appreciated, prices would also be nice if known. Thanks in advance.

nowukno
07-05-2006, 12:13 PM
I was kinda wondering the same thing. So i'll give ya a bump.

czrider263
07-05-2006, 12:13 PM
DRG!!!!!!!!

chad does great work and it makes some insnae hp numbers!

check out his site www.chad502ex.com

DirtDevilBT
07-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Take it to someone with a flow bench and not just someone with a set of die griders. I don't know who DRG is but if he does good work and has an actual flow bench then good.

The guy I used works out of a hole in the wall but he does porting for a living, 90% porting and engine building. Has a flow bench, clay molds, and computer programs to play around with different ideas. Works on 4/2 strokes. Did my cousins 250r dirtbike, changed port timing, size, and crankcase cc. Also his Raptor. My 450r came out awesome too. Most of his R&D, other than his dyno and bench, is out on the race track where he races old school 4/2 stroke motorcycles. So sometimes a name is only a name. You wouldn't know this guy unless you raced MX in the 70's/80's and street til present.

IMO: I'd go with a 12:1, 11.5 might be a waste, and with that HCS2 you can run pump 93 no problem. And I think these new machines come with 3 angle seats but it will need to be matched to the porting anyway.

Blindkaeta
07-05-2006, 06:08 PM
www.allterrainperformance.com
407-880-3171

chad502ex
07-05-2006, 06:50 PM
take it to someone who:
1. repeatedly builds huge power time and time again.
2. has dyno tested time and time again.
3. has flow tested, and proven their work from #1 and #2 above.

that's about all i have to say about that! -forrest gump

R3Concepts
07-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
take it to someone who:
1. repeatedly builds huge power time and time again.
2. has dyno tested time and time again.
3. has flow tested, and proven their work from #1 and #2 above.

that's about all i have to say about that! -forect gump

DASA!

Sorry Chad, I had to.

chad502ex
07-06-2006, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by R3Concepts
DASA!

Sorry Chad, I had to.

Oh, I agree. He's not the only one though.

That was my point(s). Straight up advice.

gibson400ex
07-06-2006, 03:58 PM
robbs racing

www.robbsracingengines.com

YamaWarr0121
07-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Who wins nearly every single holeshot in the GNC Motocross Pro class? john natalie..

who builds his motors?

Dee Manschek.. Rage Motorsports

Call - 281-593-2481

www.rageatvracing.com

R3Concepts
07-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by YamaWarr0121
Who wins nearly every single holeshot in the GNC Motocross Pro class? john natalie..

who builds his motors?

Dee Manschek.. Rage Motorsports

Call - 281-593-2481

www.rageatvracing.com

Byrd and DASA have more holeshots and the ever so important points lead.

But Dee does good work.

chad502ex
07-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Byrd and DASA have more holeshots and the ever so important points lead.

But Dee does good work.

just because you run DASA does not make them the best. Admittingly, DASA is considered one of the best, just "ONE" of many.

John would be in the lead if it wouldn't be free injury, and Dee's engine does get more holeshot rewards than the field. Even though these guys are Pro's, doesn't make what they are doing the best? I mean there are probally ppl out there that havn't gotten factory breaks doing better un-noticed because of not being as visable or even choosing low profile. Are we talking about those builders too?

R3Concepts
07-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
just because you run DASA does not make them the best. Admittingly, DASA is considered one of the best, just "ONE" of many.

John would be in the lead if it wouldn't be free injury, and Dee's engine does get more holeshot rewards than the field. Even though these guys are Pro's, doesn't make what they are doing the best? I mean there are probally ppl out there that havn't gotten factory breaks doing better un-noticed because of not being as visable or even choosing low profile. Are we talking about those builders too?

Where do I say DASA is the best?

I said that Joe has the points lead, and Im almost positive he has more holeshots.

Where do I bash Dee?

Dont get excited now Chad. You will get your big break some day.

chad502ex
07-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Where do I say DASA is the best?

I said that Joe has the points lead, and Im almost positive he has more holeshots.

Where do I bash Dee?

Dont get excited now Chad. You will get your big break some day.

Oh no. I'm not saying you are bashing Dee at all. You just said he does "good work". I consider Dee work "great" as I do DASA.

Don't make this into whos the best, cause I suppose it is just up to the thread starter to determine that. All I'm trying to convey is that is is simplier to give straight up advice that he can use rather than opinion.

I'm pretty sure John has more holeshots,...

some break someday? what are you implying? that I will get factory support someday? I sure hope so. Maybe my Pro rider, my XC and MX riders will start tromping the field this season and HONDA will open their eyes and wonder who this DRG fella is,..... LOL.. Just maybe, HONDA will then pay me more than I make at my day job as an Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineer, huh?;)

ThumPIN_450R
07-06-2006, 07:42 PM
You should sponsor me and buil my motors chad. If you can just keep something running for a few races for me I'm sure you will get all kinds of washington riders ready to send you some motors.

chad502ex
07-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
You should sponsor me and buil my motors chad. If you can just keep something running for a few races for me I'm sure you will get all kinds of washington riders ready to send you some motors.

that's one thing about my engines,.... they are built for reliabilty too with the unseen power to boot.:macho

maybe i will sponcor you someday when I get past all the others wanting discounts.

motochamp250
07-06-2006, 10:39 PM
u also have to think how much bigger joe byrd is..so his motor must be ripping........

YamaWarr0121
07-07-2006, 08:36 AM
nah motochamp, i doubt it. Natalie is a good 200lbs probably, muscle mass ways more than fat and makes up the good portion of the height difference between them two, im sure they weigh similarly.

DASA motors are, too, very sick. If they weren't, Dee wouldn't reccomend using a DASA exhaust on his Rage motor! ( that is what i run!)

Yamahauler_04
07-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Pro motors are a good indication of what you can do when you tear it down after a weekend.

Look and see who can build reliable power with a decent lifespan.

Unless you can afford a rebuild a weekend.

GPracer2500
07-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Yamahauler_04
...Look and see who can build reliable power with a decent lifespan...

Where does the Average Joe look? I mean, I'm not at MX tracks every weekend (or hardly any weekend); I'm a recreational rider who likes fast.

czrider263
07-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Sounds like you need chad to build u a drg monster that will last a long time!

MMcCannon
07-08-2006, 11:41 AM
Reliability is def. a huge point for me. I'm not wanting to rebuild any more than I have to. Also, I'm sure Natalie's motor work is top notch as well as Byrd and the rest of those guys, but I'm not a pro rider and can't afford pro's prices. I'm mainly just looking for a good port job for a decent price, I would love to have the best but can settle for "good." How much for DRG? What about DASA and DEE, anyone know for sure?

czrider263
07-08-2006, 11:49 AM
to go chads site for everything DRG

www.chad502ex.com

or send him a PM to chad502ex

He is building my motor right now check it out

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=241291

chad502ex
07-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by nowukno
I was kinda wondering the same thing. So i'll give ya a bump.

nowukno,

Your PM box is full. empty your PM box and send me another PM so I can reply to you.

chad502ex
07-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by czrider263
to go chads site for everything DRG

www.chad502ex.com

or send him a PM to chad502ex

He is building my motor right now check it out

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=241291

thanks for the plug(s). You will love what you are going to get. I should be starting any day. I will continue your thread with new pictures soon as parts and the build progresses. I can't wait to ride this monster.

chad502ex
07-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by MMcCannon
Reliability is def. a huge point for me. I'm not wanting to rebuild any more than I have to. Also, I'm sure Natalie's motor work is top notch as well as Byrd and the rest of those guys, but I'm not a pro rider and can't afford pro's prices. I'm mainly just looking for a good port job for a decent price, I would love to have the best but can settle for "good." How much for DRG? What about DASA and DEE, anyone know for sure?

well said. All of my builds are still ticking with reliability. I ride my DRG over 150 miles almost every other weekend in Treverton Tower City PA on serious climbs and XC; so, reliability in my building is a must to get me back to the truck.

MMcCannon
07-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Sounds good, and I checked out the website. Sent you a pm.

Sheepless
07-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by MMcCannon
Sounds good, and I checked out the website. Sent you a pm.
I would also go with 12:1-12.25:1 piston instead of the 11.5:1.
10.5:1 to 11.5:1 isnt much and you can still run premium pump.