PDA

View Full Version : YFZ 450 cams tight ??? HELP PLEASE

motomanmike
07-04-2006, 09:03 PM
I recently had a cylinder head failure on my YFZ450. I've spent about 650 bucks rounding up parts and what not to fix it. The old cams look fine, no scratches or gulling or anything but does anyone know if the the cams are supposed to be tight to spin when they are installed and torqued?? We put the cams in the new head to check everything out, and everything was really clean, sprayed out wiped down and then lubed, torque was set, everything spins without feeling of bind or anything but are hard to spin by hand. Is this normal? Will this ruin my new heads? A couple people i've talked to say it will free up when its warm due to the retainers being aluminum. Does anyone know the plasti gauge clearences in between the cams and the head, or the retainer caps. Help puleeassee

Colby@C&DRacing
07-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Sounds like you need to install thinner valve shims they are to big

motomanmike
07-06-2006, 10:50 AM
there is no valves in the head yet, it is bare so it is just the cam sitting in there with no other resistance on it

GPracer2500
07-06-2006, 11:17 AM
What happened to the old head?

You could check the runnout on the cams with a dial indicator to be sure the cams are still true. I'm not sure what they should feel like just spinning them by hand.

Colby@C&DRacing
07-06-2006, 12:04 PM
I see, then no it should not be tight they should spin pretty freely

ohsobad_chevy
07-06-2006, 12:08 PM
lol...I am curious of what is causing this problem. I am going to be doing a cam install pretty sooon myself, want to know all I can before doing it!! ;)

cals400ex
07-06-2006, 05:40 PM
it is a little hard to turn my buddies z400 cams as well when the cam holders are torqued in place. i bet that is normal but that is a guess.

motomanmike
07-07-2006, 12:44 PM
everyone i really appreciate all the input you have given, i'm going to take the whole shebang to the machine shop to have it all checked out. Plasti gauge clearances between the journals and the cams should be .001 to .002 thats pretty close tolerances . As to what originally happened i had a shim bucket seized in the head and cracked, keeping the valve open so it bent three valves on the intake side. Its not recommended to reuse titanium valves in another head so i had to buy five new valves, a head, gasket, valve guide seals and a few misc things. In other words a helluva lot of money. I want everything to be correct for sure. One shop said i may have some build up on the cams from the metal in the top but when i took the cams out, on the old head, the intake side was tight but the exhaust spun freely, now both are harder to spin in the new head. It doesn't make sense. If i have to i'll buy some cams ugh. I'll keep you posted.