PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Do The "Diet Coke and Mentos" Experiment??

WheelieMan4
07-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Ok, most of you seen that thread about the Diet Coke and Mentos. Well I tried it twice and can't get it to work. The first time I did it, I dropped them in and some fell, and a fountain of foam came out, but only like a foot. The second time I tried to do the "rocket" type one, where you put them all in and put the cap on and then slam it to the ground, and it some how takes off like a missle. Well before I could get the cap on, the foam sprayed out...Just wondering if anyone could write up a more detailed way of doing this...THANKS!

Titanium
07-04-2006, 06:01 PM
make sure its a 2 liter bottle not a 20 ounce.

knighttime
07-04-2006, 06:29 PM
yeah i saw it done on tv. just drop in 4-6 mentos into the 2 liter pepsi or coke. a fountain of the soft drink will shoot up in the air. it seemed like about 6-10 foot high at least :eek2:

nickmelll
07-04-2006, 07:33 PM
i havent done it but i think u have to put all of the mentos in a tube so they all fall in at the same time

WheelieMan4
07-04-2006, 08:35 PM
It was a 2 liter each time. I do remember reading something about making a tube, I suppose I will try to do that next time.

knighttime
07-04-2006, 08:56 PM
yeah they used a tube on tv when i saw it.

all you need to do is make up out of paper.

07-04-2006, 09:32 PM
heres the best way i have seen videos of. i drew a quick picture using paint. yuo drill a little hole through the middle of each mentos and through the middle of the soda cap. then cut a rubberband so its no connected like a circle and put it through all the mentos and tie a knot on the end. then pull the other end of the rubber band through the hole in the soda bottle cap. then let a little bit of the soda out so the mentos wont touch when u put the cap on it and then tighten the cap on and pull the rubber band up and let go and that snaps the mentos down into the coke very fast and the pressure will be greater through the smaller hole which will make the fountain taller. let me know if u can understand what i just said haha

edit cant figure out how to post th edrawing from paint

knighttime
07-04-2006, 09:41 PM
one of you guys who are on summer break and have some extra dollars should go out and do this experiement tomorrow (wed) and POST SOME PICS or maybe make a movie and post it.

:macho :D

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000109

Plante400
07-04-2006, 10:28 PM
haha secret revealed

http://revver.com/video/33071/16514/?__session_just_started__=1

enduro400rider
07-04-2006, 11:21 PM
haha you guys think that one is good, fill a 2 liter up about 1/4 way with toilet bowl cleaner (i think the stuff is called Kaboom but most other brands work) next take aluminum foil and make about 20 little balls with it and pour them in the bottle put the cap on, shake (very quickly no more than 5 seconds) and throw. its loud, real loud

nickmelll
07-05-2006, 07:28 AM
yea learned that in boy scouts:D . iinstead of foil i think u can use water

WheelieMan4
07-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Around here we call that a "Works Bomb" Because only the works toilet bowl cleaner works for it, supposedly...but anyways, yea, its loud, REAL loud....lol

JForestZ34
07-05-2006, 08:29 AM
I was messin around this weekend for 4th of july. My father got some dry-ice from work for use to put in the water of our coolers to cool off the water to help cool the beer and stuff. So anyway I grabbed a empty 20oz coke bottle filled it half-way with hot water. (Hot water works alot better). Dropped about 4 or 5 pellets of dry-ice in the bottle, let it smoke for just alittle bit put the cap on and threw iit in the backyard. Make sure your not holding it long after you put the cap on. About 20 or 30 seconds later you could hear the bottle starting to creak and then BOOM. Sounded like a 1/4 stick went off. Real nice boom.

James

07-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
I was messin around this weekend for 4th of july. My father got some dry-ice from work for use to put in the water of our coolers to cool off the water to help cool the beer and stuff. So anyway I grabbed a empty 20oz coke bottle filled it half-way with hot water. (Hot water works alot better). Dropped about 4 or 5 pellets of dry-ice in the bottle, let it smoke for just alittle bit put the cap on and threw iit in the backyard. Make sure your not holding it long after you put the cap on. About 20 or 30 seconds later you could hear the bottle starting to creak and then BOOM. Sounded like a 1/4 stick went off. Real nice boom.

James

Did you pick that dry ice up with your hand? :eek:

JForestZ34
07-05-2006, 08:52 AM
No I used the grill tongs. That dry ice is like -212F . you colud hold it for like 1 second but then you could feel it start to burn your hand like if you touched something hot. I used the grill tongs to put it in the bottle. I wish I videoed it thou.

James

07-05-2006, 08:59 AM
ok ok... i watched these about a month ago and a few days ago i finnaly did it. But now I saw a new style of doing it and i have todo that now

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5695044769427318137

xD awsome.

WheelieMan4
07-05-2006, 09:32 PM
thats what I want to be able to do, I also didnt realize that you had to loosen the cap a little...anymore vids?

07-06-2006, 07:27 AM
mentosandcoketrick.com

lol.. stupid website idea but has cool vids

Conman007
07-06-2006, 07:46 AM
anyone kno how to make an M-80