PDA

View Full Version : ring broke?

hondamxerd
07-04-2006, 03:32 PM
is it possible to have a ring broke and the engine still run good. my ex is smoking horrible, it sucked water in it last race and bent a rocker, replaced all rockers, all valves were pulled and are straight, so i am either thinking valves seals or ring. it smokes all the time from idle to full rev, whitish color, not dark blue, their is still some water in the engine, after 2 oil changes, so i know i need to keep changing that, thanks

2004exrider
07-04-2006, 04:40 PM
dude your gonna need to change yor oil more than 2 times, we had to change it in my dads quad like 6 or 7 times til it was normal color. If you havent yet dry your air filter and empty your airbox. Plus the packing in your exhaust may be soaked still and its letting out the steam.

Jimmy

hondamxerd
07-04-2006, 04:50 PM
thats kinda what i thought, about 6 or 7 oil changes to get the water out, but its not steam it is smoke, i'm not being so optimistic now, i am leaning more toward the ring being broke, it is still smoking bad, and that was my 4th oil change just now, when i rev it up it revs smooth but i covered the neiborhood in smoke. i still dont understand how if it was a broken ring that my cylinder wall wasnt scratched, it was limped around the track about 2 more times and then restarted at the house b4 teardown, hmmmmmmm.

sixer3
07-04-2006, 05:10 PM
dumb question, but have you changed your plug?

is it running perfect except for smoking?

a ring would make white smoke i know that, and if your ring was broken your piston would have siezed by now....theres still water in the combustion chamber, which could be coming up though your oil ring, which means your oil still has water in it, it could also still be in your valve areas....it soudns like you've had the motor all apart to check it out, but white smoke is water.....make sure theres no water in the float bowl of the carb too let us know what happoens

also be sure to drain both the oil tank adn the crankcase....and change the oil filter

hondamxerd
07-04-2006, 05:28 PM
thanks for all you guys help. yes i did replace the plug, the a/f is fresh and clean,
and i did take it up the road and it is running great. i will keep changing the oil till it gets a good color. already had the carb apart and cleaned good. i guess i will try a few more oil changes and see what happens, one more question. is it normal for air to be coming out of the crankcase breather hose? thanks.

2004exrider
07-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Yes its normal for air to come out, its supposed to breathe like that its letting air pressure out. If your oil is still tainted with a milky color keep changing it until its normal color. Your engine should be ok.

Jimmy