View Full Version : Need some help

quadwanter
07-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Hey everyone, i just bought an '04 from "redlined" on this site. Anyway i got it home wheeled it into the garage and let it sit all night. I went out that next morning/afternoon and there was a 3-5 inch round circle of oil under the quad. This really really bothers me. I found out where its coming from and it appears to be every so slightly seeping from a bolt on the side of the motor just above the kick starter. This lead me to believe that it was a bad gasket. i pulled off the bolt and it still leaked but not from the bold it was just ever so slightly above where the "bolt indentation" on the motor is. I called the dealership to see what the hell was up and they didnt really know from just over the phone so im taking it to them wed. to have them check it out. Sorry for the long story but i really need some help before i let this check go through because this is bad news on a quad i just bought.

redlined94
07-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Hey man, I just sent you a rather long email. But I think the guys on this site can vouch for me about the whole deal about when it backfires sometimes the pressure escapes through that gasket and causes it to leak, thats at least what I have been told from guys on this site.

tltcracing
07-04-2006, 05:07 PM
i was just looking at mine and cant place where its coming from but it could be a bad gasket. they are cheap and easy to replace and i just hope thats what it is.

quadwanter
07-04-2006, 10:44 PM
hey i just read the e-mail and i thank you lol...the only thing that makes me think its not the gasket is that if i take the bolt out it wont leak any more than it already is meaning that its a tight seal right? Im trying to find a nice clear picture of the right side of a 450r motor and im not having any luck, i'll get it soon though.

quadwanter
07-04-2006, 10:58 PM
heres a picture of a different quad but same place maybe it will help

pro-rider6977
07-05-2006, 09:24 PM
what would u pefer trx 450r or 450er

quadwanter
07-05-2006, 09:43 PM
:mad: thanks for the hijack:mad:

on topic now...i took it to the dealer today and i should know whats wrong tomorrow. he said it could possiably be a cracked sidecase but couldnt tell for sure by just looking at it with all the plastic and crap on.

redlined94
07-05-2006, 10:46 PM
I doubt its a cracked sidecase, a crack on the kick side would spread faster than a fat mans crack lol. But really if there were a crack it would definately be noticable I would think.

quadwanter
07-05-2006, 10:59 PM
man i hope your right blake i just wanna get this all resolved so i can start ridding this thing :ermm: this is the last thing i wanted to do.

YFZ450Ridr
07-06-2006, 12:11 AM
best get that thing fixed man:blah: me and james are going to be showing you the *** end of some z400s all day long:D

quadwanter
07-06-2006, 09:30 PM
**** bad news today guys....turns out theres a cracked case, a bad axel bearing. this is horriable, they want to charge me almost 1500 for this ****. :cry: :cry: :cry: they guy at the dealership said the crack isnt that bad and could last a long time, but one bad kick where the kick starter would come back really hard could crack it all the way through the case and it'd be toast. the bearing isnt broken he said its really worn though and wants something like 400 or something to put that in. this is absolutly redicilous im sooo pissed off, had a nice bike finally and then this :smashpc: can someone help me out, try to calm me down and tell me its going to be alright lol. anyone have anyother ideas? i dont like the idea of just jb welding it because it will still be weaker than a new one :angry: ...blake my parents left you guys a message about this on your phone, we need to figure things out because this isnt right.

Jersey450R
07-07-2006, 08:41 AM
the previous owner of this atv knew and was quite aware of the cracked case. what??? it didnt happen on him? pfft! :eek2: previous owner is responsible for the crack, but not the bearings.

say amen.

Phills450r
07-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by redlined94
I doubt its a cracked sidecase, a crack on the kick side would spread faster than a fat mans crack lol. But really if there were a crack it would definately be noticable I would think.

lol and he said that..

quadwanter
07-07-2006, 10:24 AM
well i know i didnt do it because it leaked oil the first night i got it and i just rolled it from the trailer into the gaurage and cleaned it up. Basically the only time i ran it was at the dealership. We canceled the check when we saw it was leaking oil and my dad told them to hold the check and they didnt "hold" it but w/e we canceled it. So now we need to figure out what we are going to do about the cost of this thing. I dont think im going to have them replace the rear bearings because my friend said its not that hard to do at all and they cost like $40 off rocky mountain atv. And they havnt officially "gone out" yet. So let me know what everyone thinks we should do. Oh and btw i payed asking price which was $4300 and drove an hour and a half there and back so a total of 3 hrs :eek: . lol not that that matters:p

redlined94
07-07-2006, 10:35 AM
It leaked oil the first night I had it too, I just knew that it could be a leaky gasket so I didnt worry about it. It still ran stronger than ever. I kept an eye on it and it never got worse in the whole year that I have had it. It sounds like to me the dealership is tryin to screw you. I would have them physically show you the crack and not just take their word for it. But obvivously you are worrying about this more than I did so, let me know what you wanna do, Sidecases arent hard to reaplace and I think you and your buddies could do it. I have priced a sidecase at 135.00 brand new.

quadwanter
07-07-2006, 10:46 AM
yeah im going to when i pick it up. I just need to discuss this with my dad and i'll get back do you because if it is indeed a sidecase its just a couple bolts and another gasket, thats it so it shouldnt be to bad. I think they were saying bad bearings because they were a little worn but im also going to tell my dad that these can easily be replaced at a fraction of the cost literally, plus they arnt even totally blown yet. I'll let you know asap when i hear something back from my dad. Kinda thought you "dissapeared" lol good thing you didnt. If it is indeed a sidecase its good news to me.

quadwanter
07-07-2006, 10:57 AM
i got off the phone with my dad like 10 seconds ago and he said its not the sidecase its the actual housing, which is a lot different than the sidecase. This makes things much different now because you have to do an *** load of work to replace that.

redlined94
07-07-2006, 07:08 PM
So your saying that crankcase is cracked and not the sidecase? I had no problems with it man, if i went all haywire over oil leaks in my 4 wheelers then i would have had to fix every one of them i have owned so far. It ran like that for over a year when I had it and it runs fine, just go out there and ride it man. Im not tryin to talk you out of gettin it fixed but geez it seems like you are goin a little overboard with tryin to cancel the check and stuff. If your really not pleased with it then I will come get it and you dont have to worry and you can have your money back. Just let me know whats up. Im just tryin to neutralize the situation.

GIXXER1KR
07-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Id say just get your money back and go with an 06 for the 2 grand more.Then u cant go wrong and a much better bike!!!!!!Especially where hes willing to refund your money!Not too many honest people out there!!!

d3ktrix
07-07-2006, 09:07 PM
If I bought a used bike and it had an oil leak like that with a suspected cracked case I would deff bring it back to the guy that tried to screw me or have him fix it at his expense.

I don't care how nice you are trying to be, or how u deal with it after you sell it. If you sell someone a bike that leaks oil bad enough to leave puddles on the floor in 1 night, you a trying to screw them no matter how you look at it.

Not my business, just wanted to voice my opinion.

If you run bikes that leak oil and it doesn’t bother u, u must run some ghetto machines :P

Phills450r
07-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
If I bought a used bike and it had an oil leak like that with a suspected cracked case I would deff bring it back to the guy that tried to screw me or have him fix it at his expense.

I don't care how nice you are trying to be, or how u deal with it after you sell it. If you sell someone a bike that leaks oil bad enough to leave puddles on the floor in 1 night, you a trying to screw them no matter how you look at it.

Not my business, just wanted to voice my opinion.

If you run bikes that leak oil and it doesn’t bother u, u must run some ghetto machines :P

.... and not to be a smartass or anything but he obviously knew about it and still didn't let you know about it. in that case i see it as him defantly trying to screw you over imo

redlined94
07-07-2006, 10:09 PM
The 450 NEVER left puddles of oil it dripped maybe 3 or 4 drops a week when i had it. Ya I do run stuff that drips a drop or two because I dont really wanna invest 600 bucks into a problem that can be tolerated. I wasnt screwin him over by no means. I even gave the kid an extra set of aftermarket tires and Pro Taper Handlebars at NO CHARGE just cuz thats how nice of a guy I am. Dont judge anything until you know the whole story. I wasnt told of the oil leak when I bought the atv and I found the leak myself just like he did andresearched what the leak could be and came to the conclusion that it wasnt severely important to fix. I have ran the quad for a year with that leaking 3-4 drops a week and it hasnt gotten any worse. I have looked for a crack and couldnt find anything so if it is cracked it has to be so small that you gotta get your face on the motor to see.

quadwanter
07-08-2006, 12:00 AM
this thread got way outta line i was just looking for help not a bashing fest. blake is a good guy i dont think he had/has any intention of screwing anyone over. So lets just set the record straight by saying that andBlake if your parents could call tomorrow (saturday)and talk to my parents that would be great, i'd like to get this all worked out. Oh and by no means do i not like this bike im pretty much begging my parents to let me keep it. Bout the check it was just a pre-caution because we didnt know what to think and just to be on the safe side.

redlined94
07-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Alright man, thanks for lettin them now im not a total jerkoff. I will have my pops call your dad tomorrow first thing. Later!!

GIXXER1KR
07-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Kidds!LOL!!!!

redlined94
07-09-2006, 01:38 AM
Im 20 actually but the bike was in my fathers name and his dad loaned him the money to buy my bike so that is why they are working this out. Thanks for your 2 cents though :rolleyes:

Extreem
07-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Sorry to hear about the leak. All I can say is the same thing happened to me after I let my brother ride my quad about 2 months ago. It hasn't gotten any worse and I beat the hell out of it every time I ride. I've crawled all over the bike and can not find the crack..I'de probably have to pull the motor out to find it because it's so small. I do keep an eye on the oil levels of both the engine and clutch side. If it were me I'de keep the bike (looks sweet from the pic) and JB weld the damn thing if it gets worse. At least thats my plan when I finally rip it down to powdercoat the frame this winter.

I can't believe that HONDA would design this thing with such an obvious flaw....Don't touch the gas...I know..but **** happens. With these quads it's only a matter of time before the leak shows up.

Extreem

redlined94
07-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Well I wish everyone thought like me and you Extreem and doesnt flip out about some oil leak. It looks like I am gettin the 4 wheeler back because the dudes Dad stopped payment on the check. So I guess the only thing he can do is buy somethin brand new that way they know nothin is wrong with it. For some odd reason I feel like we are the people that got screwed, I never had any actual money from sellin it cuz I was nice enough to let them write a check and when they found the leak that night they cancelled the check, Now they are returning it like I said there was a 30 day trial period or something. Most people would just ask for cash and sell it and if there are any complaints just say screw it. I guess nice people just dont get rewarded anymore these days. Well anyways, Anyone wanna buy a extremely clean 450R with a very small leak that doesnt affect anything??????????

mud-duck
07-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Redline should have at least told you about it . I would take it back and stomp a mud-hole in his ***. Thats just me.

GIXXER1KR
07-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Redline your best bet is to fix it and then sell it or nock a few bucks off and sell it to someone and let them know whats up and put it in writing on the bill of sale just to save you the headache!!I know in my state if its an atv or motorcycle u buy it you own it.No lemon law on recreational vehicle.Sounds like a hairline fracture that u would have to xray it to see!!When the engine heatcycles it expands and contracts!!Just MY $0.02 :D

YFZ450Ridr
07-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by redlined94
Well I wish everyone thought like me and you Extreem and doesnt flip out about some oil leak. It looks like I am gettin the 4 wheeler back because the dudes Dad stopped payment on the check. So I guess the only thing he can do is buy somethin brand new that way they know nothin is wrong with it. For some odd reason I feel like we are the people that got screwed, I never had any actual money from sellin it cuz I was nice enough to let them write a check and when they found the leak that night they cancelled the check, Now they are returning it like I said there was a 30 day trial period or something. Most people would just ask for cash and sell it and if there are any complaints just say screw it. I guess nice people just dont get rewarded anymore these days. Well anyways, Anyone wanna buy a extremely clean 450R with a very small leak that doesnt affect anything??????????

wish i could buy that bike off of you, i jsut dont have enough money yet. i was with ross when we came and got it. if it was mine id just jb weld it and be on my way. good luck selling it again.

z400owner
07-09-2006, 09:55 PM
i was the other kid that was there. its a nice bike but an oil leak is an oil leak, its just like a time bomb waiting to go off and when it does your down some bucks ($1300 to be exact). When we were standing there your dad said he would stand behind that bike if anything was wrong with this and you havnt. Dont say things like that if you arnt willing to follow through and then call it an "30 day trial period". I know that my brother wont buy a truck with scratches on it and a dirty engine compartment because that means poor maintance, well this is one of those cases. I was there when his parents canceled the check because they told you guys to hold the check until it was all fixed and they could talk to you guys about the final cost and you didnt. Hope you guys get everything worked out. "By the way, the bike might look really different when you see it" CLEAN!!!!

redlined94
07-09-2006, 11:37 PM
I understand that man. You dont realize that I have been screwed too, I bought a 400ex with a cracked swingarm and I wasnt told about it and it snapped on me goin up a hill and it almost rolled over on me. Im just sayin I went out of my way to be nice to this kid and his dad, givin him free parts and allowin him to write a check are all just things I did in my own good faith. The oil leak is the only flaw that thing had and it had it since the day I bought it as well. I checked out what the problem could be and it seemed more of a hassle to fix it than to just ride the bike so I chose to ride it. It has held up this long and I expect it to hold up longer. We would stand behind the bike if anything went wrong with it, but I dont see anything wrong with it. I have had 3 atv's and 2 cars that leaked oil and they all ran fine. I guess some people are just more of a perfectionist than I am. "By the way, the bike might look really different when you see it" CLEAN!!!! I dont know what you mean when you said that? As for Mud-Duck, you see the city I live in so come right over and stomp a mud hole in my ***, I would love to see that. Anyways, everything will get worked out I guess.

IOWAracer
07-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Well i dont think its just the fact it leaks oil....i think its the fact of where the oil leak is one kick that comes back and bam that case is cracked and your out a good chunck of change it isnt good when that happens.....i know i wouldnt of sold somthing that was broken that just isnt right to me but thats just me inless is was stated before the inicial buy time..

broc