PDA

View Full Version : out board gears

hard one
07-04-2006, 08:14 AM
I love my lt-r450 but there is one thing that bothers me.
the out board gears, thats nice in all that they did that to help lower the CG but it messes with me.
Like whenyour in second going a round a down hill turn and and you dont need the gas because the turn is to sharp, normaly i would just pull in the clutch and coast but since second is out board it wants to make a high pitch sound meaning you need to go up a gear.

I dont know about any of you but i have never had to do that on anything befor.

I was racing my friends a was goimg into a berm and i pulled in the clutch to coast into it and it just started to wine untill i put it in 3rd then when it stopped i put it in second and wasted precise lead time.
does anybody elses LT_R450 do this!
DONT RESPOND IF YOU DONT HAVE ONE!

blholtz
07-04-2006, 09:21 AM
yes i have one. And from what I understand they all do it in second, mine too.

Change your oil you are using get rid of the regular oil and switch to synthetic.

I use Maxima Ultra 5W-50 weight in mine right now, but I am thinking about switching to Amsoil, just want to be sure it will work.

Whatever synthetic oil you use make sure that it is compatible with a wet clutch.

That will get rid of the gear whine.

hard one
07-04-2006, 09:23 AM
I am glad its not me,
i should have thought of that
lt-r live son

AL Elks
07-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Synthetic is fine but just to clarify DO NOT use full synthetic. You want to make sure it does not have the "Energy Conserving" on the bottom of the little round donut/circle on the bottle. If it says Energy Coserving it has Moly in it which can make your clutch slip. I've been running Mobile 1 synthetic in my Z since it was broken in and it's been just fine. Again just make sure it does not have Moly in it. Also add 200ml more oil than the manual says.

I was sure hoping that the tranny and engine were seperate compartments in this bike so I could run full synthetic in the engine and standard oil in the tranny but they didn't design it that way.

blholtz
07-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Al Mobil 1 is a full synthetic, it just does not have friction modifiers in it.

Other wise it is not energy conserving on the donut.

Also just the lack of the friction modifiers or "moly" is what makes it compatible with a wet clutch.

Yamahauler_04
07-05-2006, 10:30 AM
I know it makes noise, but is it actually bad for the tranny, or is it just an ugly whining noise?

AL Elks
07-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by blholtz
Al Mobil 1 is a full synthetic, it just does not have friction modifiers in it.

Other wise it is not energy conserving on the donut.

Also just the lack of the friction modifiers or "moly" is what makes it compatible with a wet clutch.

Yep, you're right. I consider Energy Conserving as Full Synthetic I guess. Just as long as it doesn't have friction modifiers in it you're OK though.

blholtz
07-05-2006, 06:32 PM
As far as I know it is just a whine, and not harmful, but that is all I know.

hard one
07-05-2006, 06:39 PM
I just talked to my friend at the suzuki dealer he said that it is fine for now but like most of you have guessed dont let it wine out for long. i dont know about changing to a differ oil but ill' have an answer by tommarow night.