PDA

View Full Version : 2006 450R shifting problem

moogie66
07-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Has anyone experienced on 2006 450R upshifting problems
By this I mean shifting in load situation ( MX racing ) say between 2-3 or 3-4 you clip up and bike will neutralise rather than grab gear and you have to click again and if your not careful you grab the next gear and bogs down

I am looking at manual to see if there is a spring or something that clicks shift between gear selectors
It was good from new but has slowly got to this point to indicate something just wearing or spring loosing tension

If somebody has had this or knows someone that has please advise

Thanks
Shaun

tltcracing
07-04-2006, 09:23 AM
my 05 did that. i found that actualy rotating the shift lever up so you can get your foot under it easier eliminated it. i think it just trying to shift fast that does it and having the shifter up makes it alot easier to get to the next gear. i havent herd any complaints of theis hapening on the 06 tho so you may have a prob in the clutch or something.

07-05-2006, 09:02 AM
i was riding last saturday on my '06 450r and hit neutral 6 or 7 times coming from 1st to 2nd. i never really had a problem like this before on any bike. i am not saying that i never did it, but not that many times in one day. i also stalled the bike a few times and never had that problem before

red2004 TRX450R
07-05-2006, 11:07 AM
when i where shoes i hit neutral 15% of the time shifting for 1st to 2nd. But with my riding boots it drops to like .01% (they are thicker)

07-05-2006, 11:10 AM
i had my usual a-stars tech 6 boots on...might have just been me..i was ghaving an off day with it. ii just felt uncomfortable for a little while. i seemed like i couldn't find the right spot on the seat, throttle felt stiff, front brakes felt too strong, back felt too weak. after about an hour, everything felt normal to me again. but i still felt like i was a newbie on the bike. if you can understand what i mean

d3ktrix
07-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i had my usual a-stars tech 6 boots on...might have just been me..i was ghaving an off day with it. ii just felt uncomfortable for a little while. i seemed like i couldn't find the right spot on the seat, throttle felt stiff, front brakes felt too strong, back felt too weak. after about an hour, everything felt normal to me again. but i still felt like i was a newbie on the bike. if you can understand what i mean

I felt the same way sunday when I rode at my friends MX track. Felt like I couldn't get my foot under the shifter right, missed 2nd a bunch of times. Arms/back felt weak, couldnt stay on the bike right when drifting. Jumps that I could noramlly hit in my sleep I felt like I didn't belong on them lol.

I think I was behind on sleep, monday I slept all day then yesterday I went out to the power lines and trails and ripped the hell outa everything, felt better then ever. Then some kid on an LT250 wanted to race me, took him by like 4-5 quads :P
Tho duing that race my bike hit a false netural between 3rd and 4th.
It also did that 1 other time when I was shooting down my friends long driveway pinned.

woodsracer420
07-05-2006, 12:38 PM
all the 450r's have shifting problems, its a big problem i wish honda would fix

400exrider707
07-05-2006, 01:02 PM
My 05 will do it. Its not a problem of going into actual neutral between first and second, it does it between all of the gears, it usually happens when Im running really hard, and not using the clutch to shift. It's not a matter of not shifting the lever all the way as I've put serious effort into that and it did not even help the problem. Its just something that I deal with. Also I never hit the shift lever again after it does it, I let off of the gas slightly and it clicks right in. Also if your not already doing so run the Honda red bottle 80w gear oil, it helps a little.

chad502ex
07-05-2006, 02:01 PM
I really hate to post this link, but this is valuable info on the 06 tranny situation,...

http://www.*******.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1271

07-05-2006, 02:16 PM
well, if my "neutra finding"l problem persists this weekend, i will know what to do...thank ya

trick250r
07-05-2006, 02:21 PM
i really dont have a problem with it on my 450... i did on my 250r tho. it was just me not able to get my foot under well enough. but for mx i rarely use 1st gear. 1st through the pits and into staging. i start in 2nd and only come down to second... i hardly ever go into 1st on the track.

john.E.business
07-07-2006, 03:11 PM
i to have had this issue on my 05 i kick up hard into the next gear on the shifter and it kicks into neutral... seems to happen most when the engine is under a heavier load ie;hill climbs and drags... yet when the bike is hot i can't get it into neutral??? like i mean trying with my hands even thing wont go in?? but then other times its ntb??

4ABURN
07-07-2006, 05:19 PM
IF I get lasy with my shoes on I might mise second gear, But with my boots on and paying attention,it shifts good.!!!!the tranny on my 06 TRX is not as nice as the tranny in my 03 CRF!!!! thats for sure.!!!:eek2: