PDA

View Full Version : crankcase breather

hondamxerd
07-03-2006, 06:29 AM
my buddy has a 2004 450r, recently jetted and fresh oil change, during 3/4 to full throttle riding oil seems to be coming out of the breather tube, what could cause this, he says oil level is correct

GPracer2500
07-03-2006, 07:18 AM
On many engines it is normal to get some light oil misting through the breather at high RPM operation. Oil levels at the maximum end of the range exacerbate this. Often the misting will dissappear as soon as the oil level comes down to just below max.

I'm not sure if the 450r engine is known for misting through the breather or not; but if the oil level is right at the top and it's just a light misting then I wouldn't be too concerned.

If the breather is puking oil the first thing I'd do is confirm the oil check procedure and oil level.

hondamxerd
07-03-2006, 07:52 AM
also he just put a k and n filter on it, did not do before, says everything is connected correct, says he can ride 1/2 mile and has enough oil on top of crankcase to cover it, i am doing this for him, is there anything he could have left loose or connected wrong to do this, i havent been able to look at it, my first thought was too much oil, but he says its correct, thanks

07-05-2006, 12:00 PM
I would take it back to the dealer b/c honda had problems with oil coming threw the breather tube on the 450r.

ohsobad_chevy
07-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by pimpin416ex
I would take it back to the dealer b/c honda had problems with oil coming threw the breather tube on the 450r.
I never heard that. Make sure that he is checking his oil correct, usually the only reason it will burp oil through that breather is if it has excess oil.