PDA

View Full Version : Completely Confused. Help!

killerbees
07-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Heres the deal. I have wanted a four wheeler ever since the first time I rode one when I was 13. Now I am 19 and am finally going to get one this summer. At first I thought the decision of which one to buy was going to be fairly easy, it's not. I was first looking at the Honda 250ex and then was told that this was going to be too small for me. After riding one at a friends house a few weeks ago I understand what they were talking about. Then a Honda 400ex was recommended to me. Sounded great. Then I spoke to a cousin of mine about this and he said to get a utility quad. He said buy either a 4x4 es rancher or a 4x4 es foreman. He also said the suspension on a utility would be a lot better. This is important to me because I enjoy a smooth ride(had some pretty rough rides on a Honda 80 when I was 13 and 14) Now I am really confused. I will be riding primarily around 10 acres of land my parents own here in Fort Worth, Texas. It is Pretty flat land with a stock tank. I will take it other places eventually. I like trail riding and some light mudding. I also enjoy going fairly fast on a four wheeler (max I have gone is like 55) I have NEVER used a clutch on anything before. What 4 wheeler should I buy? Utility or sport, 4x4 or 2x4? I have also been told that Honda makes one of the best 4 wheelers and that they have low maintenance. What do you guys think I should do? Thanks for all your help.

2004exrider
07-02-2006, 10:03 PM
First off welcome to the site, you will learn a lot here. The choice is going to be a lot about preference. Utility and sport quads are both enjoyable. Are you wanting something that is going to have a lot of power and handle turns good then a sport quad is for you. If you want something that you are just gonna cruise around on do work with then a utility is a good choice. Whatever you do dont buy a 250ex that is way to small and underpowered. Like your friend said go with something bigger. The 400ex isnt the fastest out there but its still a pretty powerful quad that is extremely reliable.

Jimmy

ohsobad_chevy
07-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
First off welcome to the site, you will learn a lot here. The choice is going to be a lot about preference. Utility and sport quads are both enjoyable. Are you wanting something that is going to have a lot of power and handle turns good then a sport quad is for you. If you want something that you are just gonna cruise around on do work with then a utility is a good choice. Whatever you do dont buy a 250ex that is way to small and underpowered. Like your friend said go with something bigger. The 400ex isnt the fastest out there but its still a pretty powerful quad that is extremely reliable.

Jimmy

Couldnt of said it any better!:cool:

AR15 guy
07-03-2006, 07:08 AM
You can go threw plenty of rough terrain on a 400ex. We ride some nasty trails on sports quads. You can make it just fine.

A 4x4 is going to be slower and they will not handle very well.

If you want something to blast around and and possible do jumps (you probably will eventually) then a 400ex is a great choice.

Plus they are extremely reliable.

†2005 400ex†
07-03-2006, 11:12 AM
i agree, i had a trailboss 330 before i got my 400ex.....THE DIFFERENCE IN POWER AND HANDLING AND EVERYTHING ELSE IS NIGHT AND DAY, i get bared too easy on utility quads, they just dont provide the excitement a sport quad does, JMO

killerbees
07-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I really appreciate the imput. It sounds like a 400ex is the way to go. Now i will just have to learn how to use a clutch. Do you guys think the dealers around here would have any 05? And when do the 07 come out? and would do you guys think of the z400 next to the 400ex.? I was considering the z400 but heard about that corrosion problem. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I don't spend $6000 on a piece of crap quad. Thanks for the imput!

ohsobad_chevy
07-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by killerbees
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I really appreciate the imput. It sounds like a 400ex is the way to go. Now i will just have to learn how to use a clutch. Do you guys think the dealers around here would have any 05? And when do the 07 come out? and would do you guys think of the z400 next to the 400ex.? I was considering the z400 but heard about that corrosion problem. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I don't spend $6000 on a piece of crap quad. Thanks for the imput!

The z400 and the 400ex are very close performance whise. It all comes down to which one fits you best and which one you like better. Using a clutch came natural to me, but in the first 15 mins of riding and trying it, you will have it down pat!:cool: Dealers may have some 05's left, but I am not for sure. Don't spend 6000 on a 400ex or a z400 bro. You can get em for about 4500 in most places.

AR15 guy
07-03-2006, 06:08 PM
The Z400/KFX400's are really nice quads. I like 400ex's because they are tried and true.

I would say they are one of the most reliable quads made.

Suzuki had a recall for the corrosion problem. Buddies kfx400 has been in the shop 3 weeks while they get it.

killerbees
07-03-2006, 08:24 PM
"Don't spend 6000 on a 400ex or a z400 bro. You can get em for about 4500 in most places."

Please tell me where! I do not mind driving to oklahoma. I might even save some tax money. Here in Texas they quoted me $6000 new of course. But where did you get yours so resonable? Thanks

ohsobad_chevy
07-03-2006, 08:48 PM
"Don't spend 6000 on a 400ex or a z400 bro. You can get em for about 4500 in most places."

Please tell me where! I do not mind driving to oklahoma. I might even save some tax money. Here in Texas they quoted me $6000 new of course. But where did you get yours so resonable? Thanks

Bartlesville Cycle Sports

http://bartlesvillecyclesports.com/

If you are going to spend 6000 buy a 450r bro!!!

250x_kyle
07-03-2006, 08:50 PM
just my 2 cents if your going to be spending 6k on a new quad why not spend 5k on a used yfz or trx450r. now if you were 14 i wouldnt recomend it because ur a beginer but being 19 i think you could handle it. but no doubt i love my 400ex but im looken to get a yfz next summer and im 15. dont forget u can get a nice used quad that runs just as good as a new one with modds

AR15 guy
07-03-2006, 09:11 PM
I am 22 and I ride a 400ex. Honestly unless you are a hardcore MXer and you race a lot you don't need a 450r.

400ex will be great on trails + be less maintnance.

I really like my 400ex. Plus most parts are fairly cheap for the 400ex. Which makes them fun to mod.

killerbees
07-03-2006, 09:48 PM
"Bartlesville Cycle Sports
http://bartlesvillecyclesports.com/"

Holy crap they have cheap prices! How reliable is this outfit? Has anyone purchased bikes from them? It is a bit of a drive from Fort Worth, but might be well worth it because it will save me like 1500 dollars! Anyone know a place that is cheap and closer to Texas? If not it doesn't matter, driving there is not that that big of a deal.

†2005 400ex†
07-03-2006, 10:44 PM
I live in az and i got my 05 ex for 4500 otd.The dealership had abunch of overstock 05s so they went on same, its a steal.

WickedATVer
07-04-2006, 11:00 AM
To the guy that posted this, sometimes its hard to say what some one might like but a 400ex is right on the money for everything you said. it will handle light mud you'de have a chit load of fun cruzin around property and the maintance on a 400ex is wicked easy to do and to learn on. Riding a 4x4 you notice the weight dif its like driving a tank and isn't much better than putt puttin around. Don't buy it new unless you have your heart set on a brandy new one if you have 6k in cash you can buy a used one and have alot of fun once the bug bites :devil: I bought mine off ebay for 2500 it was a lil rough but I put about another grand in and it gets me to the end of the race with a good position :D

ohsobad_chevy
07-04-2006, 01:20 PM
"Bartlesville Cycle Sports
http://bartlesvillecyclesports.com/"

Holy crap they have cheap prices! How reliable is this outfit? Has anyone purchased bikes from them? It is a bit of a drive from Fort Worth, but might be well worth it because it will save me like 1500 dollars! Anyone know a place that is cheap and closer to Texas? If not it doesn't matter, driving there is not that that big of a deal.
Very good guys at BCS. Thats where I bought my quad. (I live in Bartlesville)

ohsobad_chevy
07-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by †2005 400ex†
I live in az and i got my 05 ex for 4500 otd.The dealership had abunch of overstock 05s so they went on same, its a steal.

I paid less than that, pal ;)

killerbees
07-04-2006, 10:15 PM
I would like to thank everyone for their imput. And would like to especially thank ohsobad_chevy for telling me about this wonderful dealer on Oklahoma. This enables me to buy now and is greatly appreciated! I think I have it narrowed down between a 400ex and a z400. I might look at the 450R as well beacuse I may be able to get it for just a few hundred more dollars than the 400ex. Do you guys think I will will be able to handle a 450R or should I just stick to a 400ex/z400? This is my first quad, and I have only ridden two in my life one was a honda 80 and a suzuki 400 utility. And that was about 5 years ago. I weigh about 180 pounds and I am 6 foot tall. Will the 450R require that much more maintaince? And will it be too much power for me? Thanks again.

ohsobad_chevy
07-04-2006, 10:24 PM
I would like to thank everyone for their imput. And would like to especially thank ohsobad_chevy for telling me about this wonderful dealer on Oklahoma. This enables me to buy now and is greatly appreciated! I think I have it narrowed down between a 400ex and a z400. I might look at the 450R as well beacuse I may be able to get it for just a few hundred more dollars than the 400ex. Do you guys think I will will be able to handle a 450R or should I just stick to a 400ex/z400? This is my first quad, and I have only ridden two in my life one was a honda 80 and a suzuki 400 utility. And that was about 5 years ago. I weigh about 180 pounds and I am 6 foot tall. Will the 450R require that much more maintaince? And will it be too much power for me? Thanks again.

I would definately buy the 450r, even though it is your first quad. I got a buddy that just bought a 450r and it was his first quad. For the little extra money you pay for the 450, you are getting 10x better suspension (rebuildable) and not to mention 40hp from the factory, you will appriciate it later. I can promise you that you will be wishing you would of bought the 450r if you don't. I am happy with my 400ex but I am going to buy a 450 as soon as I get outta college.

I am glad I could help you out bro... after all thats what this site is all about!! ;)

Git R Done

AR15 guy
07-04-2006, 10:29 PM
I don't think he will be kicking himself in the *** if he gets a 400ex or a z400.

I honestly have no desire for a 450r. None....

Sure its faster and probably has better suspension but the 400ex is great for the trails. Also its super simple to work on and maintain.

I wouldn't get a 450r unless I was a serious MXer.

-copyguy-
07-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Not to confuse the situation more, but a lot of the companies are coming out with sport/ute hybrid styles... I can't remember right now which one I read about, but it had handling closer to a sport with the 4x4.

that's what I'm gonna get as my (wife's) next one.

ohsobad_chevy
07-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by AR15 guy
I don't think he will be kicking himself in the *** if he gets a 400ex or a z400.

I honestly have no desire for a 450r. None....

Sure its faster and probably has better suspension but the 400ex is great for the trails. Also its super simple to work on and maintain.

I wouldn't get a 450r unless I was a serious MXer.

Opinions are like arse holes, everyones got em'. Some stink, some don't lol Here is my logic on this: 2006 400ex is $5,000... brand new 450r is $5,899 making it a difference of $899. I am a firm believer of: "you get what you pay for" and in this situation, you are definately getting the $899 in suspension, ALONE...not to mention the extra 10 horspower. You will want the extra power from the 450r after about a month of riding time. Trust me... do yourself a favor and buy the 450r and you will not regret it. Just my 2 pennies.

killerbees
07-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Well with all the help from you guys, I think I might be close! I can get a 2005 450R Kick Start for 300 more dollars than the 2005 400EX. Is it worth it or should I stick with the Electric Start 2005 400EX? The dealer also told me that not having reverse or electric start on trails is a pain It just seems kinda silly not to spend 300 dollars and get a superior machine even if it is kick start. I guess with the kick start I don't have a battery. That might be nice. To add even more confusion, there is a 2006 z400 for $200 more than the 2005 400ex.

I am also worried because I read some where that the 450R had to be rebuilt after 100 hours or so. Being new to this sport, what does that entail? Is this something the dealer can do? I would not be able to do anything more than change the oil. Any additional thought? Thanks for everyone's time with my novice questions.

07-05-2006, 03:55 PM
for $300 more, get the r. the '05 400ex does have reverse and the kickstart isn't that big of a deal. sometimes i hate having e-start and wish i would have waited and got the kick start 450r, but i didn't. not having revers is not a big deal either...i haven't had reverse on my main bike for 4 years now. since we sold the wifes 300ex last december, i haven't had reverse on a bike at all.

ohsobad_chevy
07-06-2006, 07:52 AM
Well with all the help from you guys, I think I might be close! I can get a 2005 450R Kick Start for 300 more dollars than the 2005 400EX. Is it worth it or should I stick with the Electric Start 2005 400EX? The dealer also told me that not having reverse or electric start on trails is a pain It just seems kinda silly not to spend 300 dollars and get a superior machine even if it is kick start. I guess with the kick start I don't have a battery. That might be nice. To add even more confusion, there is a 2006 z400 for $200 more than the 2005 400ex.

I am also worried because I read some where that the 450R had to be rebuilt after 100 hours or so. Being new to this sport, what does that entail? Is this something the dealer can do? I would not be able to do anything more than change the oil. Any additional thought? Thanks for everyone's time with my novice questions.

Dude...I promise, buy the 450r. Kick start is good. Reverse....sometimes is a pain in the arse, in the trails, but not enough to justify not buying the 450r for only 300 more dollars. Rebuilding the 450r after 100 hours is bull shiit, my buddy has at least 200 hours on his 2004 450r and it still runs like a stripped arssed ape. By the time you get 200 hours on that quad, you will be ready to put a high comp. piston in that bad boy, anyway (i promise). Buy the 450 and then come back here and thank me. Soon as you get comfortable on the quad, you will be roasting your buddies on their 400ex's (trust me...im the one that gets roasted):D