PDA

View Full Version : 330ex NOS?

400exRider12345
08-16-2002, 02:22 PM
hey,
I have hetrick's 330ex. I found a NOS kit for sale. Does anyone have NOS on their quad? Anyone know anything about it? Is it real bad for the engine? I heard its not forgiving at all. How are the increases. Please give me any info.
Thanks

08-16-2002, 02:27 PM
Are ya drag racing???? cuz that's the only way I'd ever put NOS on a quad..

400exRider12345
08-16-2002, 02:31 PM
no, i just want a quad that will leave any of my friends, is it heavy?

mxriderona400ex
08-16-2002, 02:40 PM
no noy really.it just tears up ur motor after a period of tiem tho.it take a while tho.it is not that expensive eether .

TheX1992
08-16-2002, 02:49 PM
what nos does is 'oxodizes the air/fuel mixture so it burns hotter' or something like that. i gotta little nos packet when i bought fast and furious. but it was from the NOS company itself so their not gonna talk crap about their own product. i imagine it cant be good for it......

400exRider12345
08-16-2002, 04:03 PM
so should i stay away from it?

flaneledholes
08-16-2002, 04:17 PM
I would use it but only in every 1 outta 10 drag races... Remeber to use it sparingly and not like every trail ride go through a bottle and you should be fine... I would set it upo so when you hit WOT it would kick in...

400exRider12345
08-16-2002, 04:54 PM
can you set it up like that where there is like a button on the bars or something? also where would i get a bottle filled?

MichaelS693
08-16-2002, 10:11 PM
NOS is great for drag racing:D

Ride400exj
08-17-2002, 12:24 AM
I had nos on my 400ex butbought a new motor from honda and used that motor and sold the other one witht he nos set up. and the button is a strate shot so when you hit it at any time it will spary some into your motor. and you can set it up so when you hit wot it kicks in but most poeple set is as a arming switch and then it kicks in at 3/4 to wot and the switch is used for when you hit 4th or 5th gear you arm it and then it kicks in and makes you fly lol. also you need a cool head a differant piston made for using nos a 13:1 or so and need everything aftermarket like valves springs a new chain ***** like that if you really want to know more PM me about it.

Castor-426ex
08-17-2002, 01:14 AM
they have a cool head for a 400ex??

ride300exred
08-17-2002, 09:17 AM
Nos forces in and cools the air down so the gas burns more efficiently and burns more adding more power It does do a toll on your engine after awhile .
You can run a sufficient amount of nos on a stock motor if neccesary.
:)
Kris

RideRed04
08-17-2002, 12:11 PM
Holy @$#$^, stop watching F&F! I mean it is a cool movie, but dont get your racing facts from it. First, it is nitro. I always thought it was pronounced N-O-S, not naws, but maybe I am wrong. Anywho, the way it works is very simple. Nitro takes the place, or suppliments oxygen. More oxygen=more power, so you are making your vehicle very lean, but the mixture will burn very powerfully. That is why it is so bad for your engine, you can overheat very easily. Just watch F&F, and you can see some idiots hold the button down too long...lol. (rant off)

tants
08-17-2002, 12:33 PM
dont crash you might go KABOOOM! :eek:

racin 400
08-17-2002, 01:03 PM
please i hate when ppl call it nos insted of nitros ock side.

08-17-2002, 01:10 PM
way to spell NITROUS OXIDE there mac

Sparky416ex
08-17-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by 400EX Mac Daddy
please i hate when ppl call it nos insted of nitros ock side.

I like "nitrous oxide boosters" (tommy boy)

400exRider12345
08-17-2002, 02:38 PM
so, should i stay away from it? Is it easy to take the tank off and put it back on? I have a lot of work into my engine...13:1 piston, tc cam, hardened rockers, heavy duty valves and springs, cometic gaskets, port and polish...will using Nitrous Oxide be a simple easy way to ruin my engine, or will it handle it?

ride300exred
08-17-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by RideRed04
Holy @$#$^, stop watching F&F! I mean it is a cool movie, but dont get your racing facts from it. First, it is nitro. I always thought it was pronounced N-O-S, not naws, but maybe I am wrong. Anywho, the way it works is very simple. Nitro takes the place, or suppliments oxygen. More oxygen=more power, so you are making your vehicle very lean, but the mixture will burn very powerfully. That is why it is so bad for your engine, you can overheat very easily. Just watch F&F, and you can see some idiots hold the button down too long...lol. (rant off)

No not really You cant hold the button down to long its a preset burst . :rolleyes:

400exRider12345
08-17-2002, 07:03 PM
one thing i always wondered is when you push the button...how long does that speed burst last for?

airheadedduner
08-18-2002, 01:09 AM
I'm not trying to flame anyone but some of you have no freakin clue what nitrous does even though you try to respond. I don't know exactly how it works but it does not burn hotter!!!!!! It burns cooler which also helps create power. If it burned hotter it would cause a power loss and seize the piston very quickly. One thing I do know is that it cools the intake charge comming into the piston , it also alows the fuel and air to burn more efficently.

ride300exred
08-18-2002, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
I'm not trying to flame anyone but some of you have no freakin clue what nitrous does even though you try to respond. I don't know exactly how it works but it does not burn hotter!!!!!! It burns cooler which also helps create power. If it burned hotter it would cause a power loss and seize the piston very quickly. One thing I do know is that it cools the intake charge comming into the piston , it also alows the fuel and air to burn more efficently.

Isnt that what I said LOL :confused:

400exRider12345
08-18-2002, 07:17 PM
any advice though???

08-18-2002, 09:45 PM
NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS
NITROUS OXIDE TAKES 2 LONG 2 SAY but whoever said idiots hold the button down 2 long, wtf, if i had nos on my contour wich im goin 2 get on it soon, when i want the boost, ill hold my button down for 5 seconds,ITS ONE LIL BOOST, NOT AS LONG AS U HOLD THE BUTTON IN,FAST AND FURIOUS IS A SWEET MOVIE 2, ITS KINDA GOT BAD ACTING THO

400exRider12345
08-19-2002, 11:35 AM
any advice?!?!?!?! anyone?

toby400ex
08-19-2002, 05:25 PM
i hate that too

08-19-2002, 06:10 PM
i hate when morons that don't know what there talking about say NITROUS OXIDE ruins a engine. The nos will is a cooler mixture. a cooler mixture of air will burn better due to the density of the air being thicker. the theres more air molecules in cold air then hot air. So when you have denser air you need more fuel to balance the mixture out. if the kit uses a seperate selinoid gas and nos then it can be set up easy. if it dosen't i would belive you wuld have to run a fat main jet to compensate for using the nos at higer rpms. this would be stupid to use on a every day ride and would be best suited for drag racing only.

ride300exred
08-19-2002, 06:22 PM
It doesnt ruin engine immediately but it could and it will take a toll if not used correctly
Also Dont get Nitrous It wont be worth it unless you are dragging .
:cool:

08-19-2002, 06:41 PM
when used right the only problem will be staying away from wainting to spray more and add to much hp to the weak *** motor

Castor-426ex
08-19-2002, 11:32 PM
in otherwords sure...youre gonna have a thrill...or a few...haha

but it aint gonna be worth it in the long run...

at least it wouldnt be to me...

FullBore52
08-19-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Ride400exj
I had nos on my 400ex butbought a new motor from honda and used that motor and sold the other one witht he nos set up. and the button is a strate shot so when you hit it at any time it will spary some into your motor. and you can set it up so when you hit wot it kicks in but most poeple set is as a arming switch and then it kicks in at 3/4 to wot and the switch is used for when you hit 4th or 5th gear you arm it and then it kicks in and makes you fly lol. also you need a cool head a differant piston made for using nos a 13:1 or so and need everything aftermarket like valves springs a new chain ***** like that if you really want to know more PM me about it.

Where is that damned BS meter?

Castor-426ex
08-19-2002, 11:50 PM
a new chain with nos?

rear chain or cam chain...

and yeah screamin I think the bs meter should be applied here:p

L.Vegas400
08-20-2002, 02:53 AM
here ya go;)

MX MadMann
08-21-2002, 11:26 PM
NOS = nitrous oxide systems. it is a division of holley. it is not short for nitrous ox side haha. nor is it short for nitrous. just like chevy is a division of GM , N.O.S. is a division of holley. geeeez. ya know , i was thinking of maby putting twin turbo's on my 400 , since it does indeed have twin exhaust outlets , ya know , a turbo on each one?? and NOS , and a supercharger. yep thats what ill do , ill have twin turbo's forcing air into my supercharger. ill run a little chain from my sprocket to drive the supercharger. man i would have a beast then. wow :blah . it might even be able to run with the RICO ROCKET. ( and yes im joking about the turbochargers/supercharger so dont get ur panties in a knot )

L.Vegas400
08-22-2002, 01:20 AM
more horse power cost something, extra wear on the eng.

08-22-2002, 05:53 AM
ok man heres how it works: 1. no matter how long you hold the button down, your still going to get the same Nitrous charge. 2. the fast and the furious was a great movie but i aggree, the only thing they knew about NOS was that it makes you go faster. 3. it can be hard on the engine but if your only going to use it once and a while, you will be fine. 4. don't set the shot of NOS for any longer than 5 seconds on a quad. 5. i would try and find a cool head. 6. you should be able to get the bottle filled at most local speed shops. (street racing stores) 7. NOS is just a line from the bottle to the carb i THINK you need to add somthing in your carb for it to work... i could be wrong. 8. the best thing to do is go to your local performance shop and talk to one of their LICENCED mechanics and find out the real dirt on it. 9. have fun man!

dabombdale
08-22-2002, 10:32 AM
if i was you i would use aviation fuel, it is good stuff for going fast, all the dirt bike racers use it.

bluebaron
08-22-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by 400exRider12345
no, i just want a quad that will leave any of my friends, is it heavy?

get a banshee!!!!!!

Sick0
08-22-2002, 07:18 PM
Get the kit blow the doors off every body. Screw it if you blow the motor./

PismoGuy400
08-22-2002, 10:48 PM
Get the kit blow the doors off every body. Screw it if you blow the motor./

not everybody has the money to buy a new motor...

L.Vegas400
08-23-2002, 03:48 AM
i saw an application where there was a little hole in the end of the cone shaped airfilter, and a little rod on the end of the nitrous hose was inserted there. it worked, and the only mod was the small hole in the filter. this was on a ZX2 focus.

timewass
08-23-2002, 11:49 AM
nitrous oxide is a gas and when you mix it with atomized gasoline and air you just create a leaner mixture. ALL nitros oxide kits have an aditional selonoid with them that injects more fuel (gasoline) into the mix so a lean mixture isn't created. Oh... and nitrous oxide is not nitro, nitro is street short for nitro methane which is a very dangerous liquid fuel, not a gas. Nitrous oxide's chemical makeup makes the mixture of fuel/air in the cylinder more dense. Nitrous has two atoms of nitrogen and one atom of oxygen. Since nitrogen in not flamable it just takes up more mass in the cylinder and nitrogen atom actually cools down when combined with oxygen int he air so it actually keeps your engine cooler. However.... the misconception that it makes your engine run hotter is partially true. It actually makes your engine run faster and more efficent and gives you more power. You (the rider) using the increased power is what causes premature wear and higher engine temperatures. I personally would not waste my time and money on nitrous unless you are drag racing. In my 96' S10 blazer I have two 20 pound bottles and they can last me while if I don't mash the throttle all the time, but if I want to I can burn through a 20 pound bottle in about 60 seconds. I would just get a jet kit, pipe and do some simple engine mods for more power. nitrous is cool, but not really practical unless you are dragging.

ride300exred
08-23-2002, 01:38 PM
That is very well explained timewass

timewass
08-23-2002, 02:13 PM
Thanks

hetrick425ex
09-17-2002, 08:58 PM
PLEASE DONT DO THAT TO MY OLD BABY!!!!
how is she doing man??? post some recent pics of it!!!!
Thanks man
Casey

hetrick425ex
09-17-2002, 09:02 PM
heres my 400...
mods are listed below...

400exRider12345
09-18-2002, 01:55 PM
casey...havent heard from ya in a long time...all i can say bout ur 400 is WOW, haha dude that thing is amazing. The 300 has been sleeping for the past 6 weeks, haha i broke my wrist in the hotel on vacation, so i couldnt ride...ive been cleaning it every 3 daysd tho, haha i love it...I'll post some pics...by the way, hows racing been?...

hetrick425ex
09-19-2002, 01:21 PM
ive been alright..
racings going good...been doing alot of jumping shows and quad wars and stuff around here.... its cool....you racing yet??? haha
ill let you know when all of us are coming to Raush creeck and maybe you can come over huh??? well ill talk to ya later man!

stevengates45
09-19-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by S.M.A416
i hate when morons that don't know what there talking about say NITROUS OXIDE ruins a engine. The nos will is a cooler mixture.

I kindof feel that way for when people flame on alky bikes. People are always talking about how "if you put your bike on alky its goin to tear up really fast! Not really, if you purge it right after you ride your bike you wont have any problems. Especially with it blowing up or anything! I was racing on a stroker big bore Trinity alky blaster a little while back & made a pass on it & came back & touched the cylinder & it was just a little warm. I just dont see how people could think that if you run something through your bike to make it run cooler that it could tear it up you know?

hetrick425ex
09-19-2002, 08:44 PM
well i wasnt saying that.....weve built some alky bikes but ostly for dragging...
but i know for a fact that if you have someone convert it that doesnt know what they are doing it could be bad news....
later

quadfamily
09-19-2002, 08:52 PM
Man I hate getting into these arguments! I just have to put my two cents in though. I just want to clear up a couple misconceptions here. Seems that a few people think that nitrous only lasts for 5 seconds or something. Before I type any more I have to say that I have a little experience with N2O tuning in 3 of my cars which I drag raced. I've used both plate systems and direct injection systems and actually both types on the same engine on one car. With that said the nitrous will continue to inject into your engine as long as the button is held down unless there is some sort of timer installed. It will continue to inject until the bottle is empty. The second thing I'd like to clear up is that there isn't always a second selenoid which injects fuel into the engine along with Nitrous. A perfect example of this would be the "sneaky pete" system by Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS) for cars which uses a very small bottle which could be hidden in the glove box and a 9 volt battery operated selenoid which injects nitrous into the top of the carburetor through a special injector that is completely hidden inside the air cleaner. With this kit they tell you that you have to richen up your main jets. This system only adds a few HP.
I'll tell you all right now that I don't know how the kits for quads work. It would be hard to inject fuel with a seperate selenoid because there is no fuel pump on quads. So I would assume it's similar to the "sneaky pete" system where you have to richen up your carb with bigger jets. Injecting Nitrous oxide into your engine is simply a way of adding ozygen. When you add oxygen you must also add fuel or else you will have a very lean mixture and burn up pistons. Yes Nitrous cools your engine in some respects. It cools the incoming air/fuel mixture entering the cylinder. However it also increases the heat in the cylinder (and consequesntly the exhaust)because your engine is now burning alot more air/fuel mixture. If you think if it this way you should understand...........
heat = horsepower (undesputable fact) so the more horsepower your engine makes the more heat within the cylinder and vice-versa. Unless you have an effective way to dissipate the extra heat given off when you use nitrous you have got to be extra careful how much nitrous you inject. For an example many poeple may relate to think of the banshee. Usually when a banshee owner does some engine mods to increase horsepower whether it be pipes or porting or compression or whatever, the owner usually ends up putting an aftermarket radiator on his machine because it now runs hot. The heat is caused by the addition of horsepower. Any time you add horsepower to an engine not designed for it you will add stresss and of course extra wear on the engine. I'm not telling anybody not to use it just that you should know all the facts before you bolt on a nitrous kit.

01-04-2003, 02:00 PM
here ya go

thelegendarycd
01-04-2003, 06:47 PM
that NOS thing kills me too. when you have an engine running on normal fuel w/o nitrous oxide it can only suck in as much oxygen as is in the air (unless you have some sort of ram air, turbocharger, or supercharger, but thats not the question). so that limits the ammount of oxygen that can be burned and more oxygen = more horsepower. what nitrous oxide does is creates another source of oxygen along with the normal air already coming into the engine and creates more horsepower. in some pictures of atv kits i thought there were 2 solenoids (1 for nitrous oxide and 1 for fuel), but maybe i'm mistaken. i'd say if you're just trailriding don't go for it, but if you're riding dunes, or doing a good ammount drag racing it wouldn't be too bad as long as you used it sparingly.

99'300EX
01-04-2003, 07:41 PM
NOS

01-04-2003, 07:47 PM
NITROUS

nakomis0
01-04-2003, 08:10 PM
I looked awhile back. I never saw one that injected fuel with the nitrous.

The one I almost got cost $300 and you just stabbed it into the intake boot. It was a 10hp shot, so I was told.

I never did because I heard the stock rod and crank won't hold for long.

250xman
01-04-2003, 09:44 PM
if youre gonna justdrag race i would do it. i run an edlebrock system one my 70 El Camino cause i race it alot. ive got the 12 LBS carbon fiber bottle and warmer on it. ive got it set for 150 HP shot right now. ive got a senser set up on mine so when i hit WOT it kicks in and when it gets below 3/4 throtle it stops. but for a quad.......ONLY FOR DRAG RACING

PS i cant stand it when people call it "Naaasss" heII its NITROUS OXIDE! N.O.S. is a freakin brand!

250xman
01-04-2003, 09:45 PM
heres a pic of her but i dont have any of the motor. i'll try to get some soon.

01-04-2003, 10:15 PM
My trans am has nos in it. Ireally ****ed up the engine the first time i used it. Then i found out that any engine with nos MUST have aeither moded headers or a turbo-charger. You must have a way to get the gases out of the engine before it starts another cycle or serious and i mean serious engine DAMAGE will ensue.

0240099r1
01-04-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
i saw an application where there was a little hole in the end of the cone shaped airfilter, and a little rod on the end of the nitrous hose was inserted there. it worked, and the only mod was the small hole in the filter. this was on a ZX2 focus.

yeah that would work on fuel injected cars with a mass air sensor or map sensor the computor reads the extra air and how cold it is and widens the injector pulse width way up in milliseconds therefor the car can acommadate the nitrous buy addind more fuel, if you were to do that on a 400 or anyother carb. engine you would have to jet the carb very rich to use the nitrous yeah it will work but who wants to change the jetting on the carb everytime you didn't want to spray if you want nitrous on your quad get a kit it come with every thing you need (fogger,lines,fuel and nitrous solonoids,fuel pump,bottle ,etc i think you get what i'm saying..................

phatswinn
01-05-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by lrdrider1
here ya go

ive been waiting for someone to post that

if ur gunna run nitro, get the nitro rc fuel, at $16 a gallon for 30% nitro it shouldent be to bad:huh :devil

timewass
01-06-2003, 06:08 AM
if ur gunna run nitro, get the nitro rc fuel, at $16 a gallon for 30% nitro it shouldent be to bad

The nitro in that fuel is a tamed down version of nitro methane. "not the same as nitrous oxide". You do not want to run nitro methane in anything unless you completely understand that fual and what it can do. Nitrous oxide is a gas that burns with a light blue flame Nitro methane is a clear liquid in pure form and has no visible flame. Ever see a drag car crash and the driver get out rolling all over the ground and don't know why. He's probably on fire and you can't see it. Stay away from nitro methane. NOS is ok though.

wilkin250r
01-06-2003, 09:25 AM
I run Nitrous on one of my quads.

True, injecting nitrous only will lean out your quad and possibly damage the pistons, which is why most small engine NOS kits (for ATV's and personal watercraft) come with two solenoids for nitrous and fuel, along with a separate fuel pump.

Nitrous WILL increase compression. More fuel and oxygen creates more pressure. I personally wouldn't run higher than 11:1 compression.

nakomis0
01-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Wilken, Do you where to get a kit from? (with the 2 solenoids, and fuel pump)

wilkin250r
01-06-2003, 01:46 PM
Earlier, someone mentioned that NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) is a division of Holley, which is correct, but you are not going to find the ATV kit on their web site.

Call (270) 780-1833 and ask for a catalog or info.

As far as mine, I bought it in Ebay. It was originally for a two-stroke watercraft, but they are all pretty much the same. A nitrous bottle, two solenoids, fuel pump, nozzle, and plumbing. The only real difference is the jet size, and you can order different sizes.

I get my bottle filled at the local Summit Racing shop.

0240099r1
01-06-2003, 02:57 PM
compucar has a bike kit there # is1-803-442-9206 ,also my fav. brand of nitrous is nitrous express i don't have there but should be on the web they also have a kit...............