PDA

View Full Version : Header Wrap Update!!

RED121572
08-16-2002, 01:55 PM
Those of you that have been following my little story, I have recently wrapped the headpipe on my 400 with automotive headerwrap.

The stuff I used is called "Thermo-col" You can get any lengh you want. Mine was 35 ft long, by one inch wide. With that, I purchased six hose clamps.....the stuff doesnt stay on the header by itself. I picked the header wrap up from a local speed shop near Nazareth, Pa. Im sure you can get it/order it from any auto care center. Its not cheap by any means, its nearly a buck a foot.

A little note, the wrap is made of fiber glass. You may consider wearing a mask from inhaling the dust, along with wearing a long sleeve shirt when working with this stuff.

I wrapped both pipes seperately. Once the two pipes joined, I wrapped the large portion of the pipe until it snaked around the rear of the main frame. Install is pretty easy. Patients is the key ingredient here. There is a fine line between a nice installation and a sloppy one. I spent an hour on mine...it turned out pretty nice.

I rode some trails lastweek at high altitudes. (near Pocono International Speedway in Blakeslee, Pa) I got an oil temp reading just about 190.

I rode for an hour this morning back here in Ohio. The air temp was 88 degrees. I rode only on dirt roads, cruising at half to 3/4 throttle. I got a oil temp reading of 201.1 Without the wrap, I was getting a reading of 215-225 under the same riding conditions. The header wrap is working like it should, Its keeping most of the hot air of the exhaust pipe contained and off the motor and oil tank.

Ive gone through some water and mud. Ive washed the quad a few times also. The header wrap seems to be holding up quite well so far. I give it the thumbs up!:D

08-16-2002, 02:04 PM
Got any pics of this setup?????

honda400exrider
08-16-2002, 02:14 PM
yeah, def get pics. since i got the bigga tank, this wud maybe help run cooler also. thanx

RED121572
08-16-2002, 02:26 PM
Hey guys,

Ive got some pics and they are developed. Ive got every intention of getting them on disk. A buddy of mine has a scanner and depending on my schedule with my girlfriend, I should have em tommorrow and I will post them asap.

Thanks for your patients.

RED

RED121572
08-18-2002, 11:22 AM
The pic is too large and the bullentin board will not accept it. Those of you that wish to see it, contact me at KCowan@neo.rr.com. I will more than happy to send you a copy.

:D