PDA

View Full Version : PS2: Disk read error fix ?

K_Fulk
07-02-2006, 06:43 PM
I was wondering if anyone here knows how to fix these? Mine has been giving me trouble.

zack221
07-02-2006, 08:37 PM
it might be the game if it is a thq game they are junk and wont ever play but take the screws out of it and take the case off and clean the eye or get a eye cleaner use just put it in the disc tray and turn your ps2 on and it cleans it but i have heard they tear your ps2 up but i used one and it worked

troutman561
07-02-2006, 10:15 PM
A hammer and some violence works wonders on technology!

smokeu400
07-02-2006, 10:24 PM
when this appened to me i used a dvd lens cleaner....it fixed it.....iy was a cd with a lil frilly piece of fabric on it to brush the lens clean

zack221
07-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by troutman561
lmao

Ralph
07-03-2006, 09:42 AM
here you go http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129270&highlight=playstation

bwamos
07-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
I was wondering if anyone here knows how to fix these? Mine has been giving me trouble.

Not trying to run a DVD-R in it are you?
Have, to ask the obvious first. ;)

WKY400EX
07-03-2006, 09:49 AM
My PS2 did this the other night when my girlfriend and I were trying to watch Die Hard 3. I reverted back to my NES days and blew air inside the PS2.:p It worked, but the lens probably just needs to be cleaned.

ZBlaster
07-03-2006, 11:42 AM
if you have it laying on the bottom then you can turn it up on its side and it will work 8 out of 10 times just by doing that, or at least mine will...

K_Fulk
07-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Not trying to run a DVD-R in it are you?
Have, to ask the obvious first. ;)

It plays some games and some movies but otehr wont start for anything. Even if they are brand new. I'll try setting it on the side. Blew some air in it with my compressor and that didnt help.

Ralph
07-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
It plays some games and some movies but otehr wont start for anything. Even if they are brand new. I'll try setting it on the side. Blew some air in it with my compressor and that didnt help.

i did the exact thing someone posted in this thread a few posts down and it used to not read anything and i have never had any problems since. Besides cleaning the eye there is also an adjustment.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129270&highlight=playstation

Ralph
07-03-2006, 12:33 PM
What you need

Before attempting the fix described below, read through this guide completely in order to familiarize yourself with the steps involved. Once that is done, gather the following items.

Standard Phillips screwdriver
#0 Phillips screwdriver (or eyeglass-sized)
Cotton swabs
Isopropyl rubbing alcohol
Felt-tip pen or marker

Optional cleaning tools.
Vacuum
Can of compressed air
Screws and stickers

Before you do anything, disconnect the PS2's power and video connections. On the bottom of the PS2 are 10 square-shaped screw covers. Four of these double as rubber feet for the PS2 (when the device is laying flat.) Remove these covers to access and remove the screws. Some of the screws will be longer/shorter than the others so keep track of what goes where.

Removing the case

Once you've removed the screws, it's time to break the seal and completely void whatever warranty you may have had. Seriously, there is a "warranty seal" sticker near the PS2's power connector that must be removed in order to gain entrance to the innards of the beast.

With the screws removed and the warranty sticker "void," gently turn the PS2 right side up. Carefully remove the top cover by lifting the back edge and pulling it toward the front of the unit until it clears the controller jacks as well as the front of the disc tray.

You'll notice a metallic ribbon or white wires (depending on your PS2's age) connecting the main base to the eject/play buttons on the top cover. Remove the tape that normally holds this wire in place and set the top cover off to the side. Don't try to disconnect the ribbon/wires. There should be enough slack for the cover to lie off to the side.

Before moving on to the disc tray cover, now is a good time to blow out the dust that has collected around the fan and main circuit board. A can of compressed air will do the job nicely.
With the PS2 splayed open, the disc tray cover removed, and the unit plugged in, eject the disc tray.

Toward the back of the PS2, behind the laser, is a white gear about 0.75-inches in diameter. This gear adjusts the distance between the disc surface and the laser's eye. It's also the key to fixing a PS2 that frequently suffers from disc read errors (DREs.) On the left side of the white gear will be a notched metal tab or a smaller brass-colored gear.

Use a felt-tip pen to mark the white gear at the point it contacts the tab/smaller gear. This provides a reference point for the original position of the gear as we prepare to make our adjustment(s). Now would be a good time to gently clean the laser's eye using a cotton swab dampened with a bit of rubbing alcohol.

Adjusting the gear position in order to fix DREs involves the following steps.
Turn the white gear a notch or two (clockwise or counterclockwise)
Replace disc cover (holding it in place with your hand)
Insert a DVD
If it works, insert a purple game disc
If it works, insert an audio CD
If all three work, you are finished.

If any of the disc types fail to be read follow these steps.
Eject the disc
Remove the disc tray cover
Move the gear a notch or two (perhaps in the other direction)
Replace disc cover (holding it in place with your hand)
Retest until all three disc types are properly detected

Once you have correctly positioned the gear and all disc types are reading properly, reassemble your PS2

K_Fulk
07-03-2006, 12:33 PM
I bet those are the same instructions they sell on ebay. :cool: I'll give that a try later tonite.

400eXr1d3rZ
07-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by troutman561

Nope, just on XBox