PDA

View Full Version : shift shaft seal!?!

honda380
07-02-2006, 02:06 PM
how do i change the shift shaft seal on a honda 250r? i need to know if i have to pull the clutch cover to press a new one in? any help is appreciated! thanks, -Corey-

ohsobad_chevy
07-02-2006, 06:18 PM
No, I dont think that you have to pull the clutch cover to install it. I am not 100% sure though. I think you can put a lil silicone on it and press it in.

86 Quad R
07-06-2006, 12:02 PM
i personally preferr not to use silecone on seals(in these types of areas) because the silecone becomes slippery when heated, making it possible for the seal to pop out.

ohsobad_chevy
07-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
i personally preferr not to use silecone on seals(in these types of areas) because the silecone becomes slippery when heated, making it possible for the seal to pop out.

Yeah, I guess thats true. I seen my cousin replace his on a 250r. He used silicone, but then again, he was in a hurry and ready to hit the dunes!! :cool:

rooster300ex
07-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Just get something like a seal pick and pry it out, but don't pry on the engine case. after you get it out find a deep socket that fits the seal size and tap it in really easy. works for me everytime i've done it. oh yea don't forget to wipe the area clean.

TRX300X
07-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Put a little bit of red loctite around the outisde of the seal when you drive it in. It will help lube the seal when you install it and it will harden between the case and the seal to also help hold the seal in. Also check for burs or grooves or anything like that on the shift shaft and clean them up with some emry cloth.