PDA

View Full Version : Few Q's for you 250R pros

ak_stick
07-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Alright guys, as some of you know, I've got a old 86 R that I'm building. Well its about time for me to start getting serious about her, as I'm due to leave Iraq here in the next two months. I've got some parts already, but I need oppinions and suggestions on the last few I need. Right now as she sits the only mod on her is a 300CC bigbore, I dont know the maker off hand, as I'm 5800 miles from her, and an aftermarket carb and twist throttle.

I will be doing a complete tear down, and build up this winter, but as I have about 2-3 months of riding before winter sets in, I'm gonna get as much time in as I can before I start ripping parts off.

So of the following parts, what would you suggest for a 300CC bigbore, for XC, and trail riding.

Tires (thinking Razr II's or Holeshots.)
Carb (mine leaks, just gonna fix it later and put on backup motor)
Pipe
Silencer
And I need new sprockets and chain who and what teeth?

What else would you suggest for easy swap to make riding more fun?

I've got Elka's for the front, working on a rear shock, and a Nitrous kit that I'll have proffessionaly installed because electricity and I dont get along at all.

Scott-300ex
07-02-2006, 04:50 PM
I have a Gold Series Fatty header pipe and a Turbine Core II silencer, pulls real good for me!

Yeh, I'd say throw shocks on there and everybody runs Holeshots so it must be a good tire.

If you don't want to go into the motor then just do that and jet it right and make sure there are no air leaks from the carb.

Congratulations on you trip home and hope its safe.

TheFontMaster
07-02-2006, 10:13 PM
For the pipe I would go with a sparks, or a paul turner which is the same as the sparks. Sparks makes the best 250r pipes. I would get the razr 2's over the wholeshots, no particular reason why, I just like maxxis.

IOWAracer
07-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Im not a big 250R guy but i know quads so i will give it a shot...for exhaust LRD there is somthign good bout them Ballance ran it for years, chain go D.I.D and renthal sprokets teeth im not sure on, Nitrous on a 250R for XC :confused:, rear shock go with elka since u got fronts, Razr II"s all the way!!! uhh get a good bumper and grab bar PRM or Pro Armor..

broc

hang1p
07-03-2006, 01:11 AM
razor 2's, esr trx 5 pipe, lose the nitrious, and get a airstriker 38mm carb to replace the leaky one

ak_stick
07-03-2006, 03:36 AM
Oh, hah, I dont run XC comp, I run true cross country with my quads. Up and over that mountin, through this valley, around this glacier, ect.

The nitrous will stay, I've run it on snow machines and its just too damn much fun to get rid of.

beerock
07-05-2006, 11:38 PM
well, to run a R with nitrous it always has to be jetted RICH to handle the nitrous when its purged

sounds like you need some a arm gaurds, chasis skid, swingarm skid, ims roll pegs, and or/acnerfs(to pivot around trees) hand gaurds, razor 6 plys or razor 2's depending on how harsh the terrain is. and if its in the budget throw on a 330 PV top end to give you plenty of grunt and lots of over rev. also if its in the budget a nice set of hi pers

get a esr trx5 pipe for all around, or a old school fmf fatty, i would say get a curtis sparks mx pipe but would be a long wait.

good luck with it and thanks for serving

250r4life
07-06-2006, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by beerock

good luck with it and thanks for serving

exactly... i've lived outside the U.S. and it sure makes you appreciate it, and all ya'll who fight for what we have