PDA

View Full Version : 2006 ATVA MX Nationals Round #10 –Mill Creek - Pell City, AL – Preview & Coverage

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Pell City,AL - For the first time ever, an ATVA MX National will be held in Alabama at the Mill Creek MX Park in Pell City, AL. Upon arriving, I expected the area to be relatively flat, but the area actually is far from it with some rolling hills.

The track itself contains plenty of elevation changes with some nice size jumps, but only one big step-up that requires a handful of throttle to clear and only the Pros and a handful of other riders are attempting to clear it.

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:13 AM
With sizzling temperatures, the rider count for the Alabama event is down compared to other events this year with just over 400 riders in attendance, and the Pro Class only had 18 riders sign up with John Ragon and Rodney Gentry giving the class a try this weekend.

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:16 AM
With temperatures approaching 100 degrees paired with high humidity, it is like an oven on the track, which has even the spectators seeking shade from the baking sun.

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Paul Turner and Ryan Cox attempted to use mind over matter technic to stay cool, so they tried dressing and acting cool in hopes of staying cool

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:20 AM
The plan didn't go as well as anticipated which left Turner seeking the relief a fan and misting system to stay cool as many around the pits became fan worshippers gathering around like Sunday service trying to stay cool

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:22 AM
Joe Haavisto reverted to the Egyptian styled Rath Racing headdress to stay cool

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Even RaceDayPix, Dave, looked like he was ready to pass out at the end of the day on Saturday, so I think by now you get the picture, its HOT, HOT, HOT.

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:26 AM
After Steel City, John Natalie Jr had his wrist X-rayed again and it was found to be broke, so he is wearing a softcast this weekend in hopes of trying to salvaging some points.

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:27 AM
The "Alabama Slammer" Keith Little lives only a few hours from the track and heads into the race with a win in the MX and EDT Nationals in back to back weekends.

Ofcourse, he was featured on the event t-shirt

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:29 AM
The local news stations channels 13 and 33/40 headed out to the track to interview there hometown hero, which was awesome, and it only took me countless emails and phone calls to make it happen, but when they show up, it is worth every minute of time.

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:33 AM
During Pro practice, Keith Little wasted no time sailing over some of the larger jumps.

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:37 AM
John Ragon was riding strong as well as he prepared for his first Pro Race.

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Rodney Gentry is use to the heat living in Florida, so we will see if he can use it to his advantage in his return to the Pro Class once again.

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:40 AM
Dustin Wimmer is looking for yet another Podium finish and he strapped on the H-Bomb helmet cam during practice while Wes Miller broke out the digital camera to capture some photos this weekend.

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Joe Byrd remains in the Points lead heading into Round 10, but it is far from being wrapped up, which will keep things interesting down the stretch.

Admin
07-02-2006, 07:47 AM
With Natalie Jr injured, Jeremiah Jones and Doug Gust are still determined to give it there best to reel in Byrd before the end of the season.

On this note, I am heading back out to the track to capture the action.

Johnny & Monica
07-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Well I had some trouble getting back into the forums for awhile but I guess it's fixed now. Also not getting any live feed from mototees so we will have to wait for the results to be posted. Not sure why no live feed today but that's the way it goes sometimes.

JRP
07-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Johnny & Monica
Well I had some trouble getting back into the forums for awhile but I guess it's fixed now. Also not getting any live feed from mototees so we will have to wait for the results to be posted. Not sure why no live feed today but that's the way it goes sometimes.

yea i couldnt get on here for 45min, and mototees isnt workin.

Johnny & Monica
07-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Harold Goodman takes the holeshot followed by Josh Creamer Travis Spader and Pat Brown

Harold Goodman
Travis Spader
Josh Creamer
Jeremiah Jones
Jeremy Lawson
Keith Little

Pat Brown has dropped back behind Natalie

Johnny & Monica
07-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Harold Goodman remains out front Jones is applying the pressure.

Goodman
Jones
Spader
Little
Lawson

Pat Brown went down over the triple but is back up and running

Johnny & Monica
07-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Jones takes over the lead

Goodman
Little
Lawson
Gust
Spader
Wimmer
Byrd

HOLMAN#2
07-02-2006, 11:15 AM
now who's winning

Johnny & Monica
07-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Jones takes the win!

Johnny & Monica
07-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Jones
Little
Goodman

Lawson had quad issues

Johnny & Monica
07-02-2006, 01:58 PM
moto 2

Little out front

Gust takes over the lead

Gust
Little
Lawson
Goodman
Brown
Spader
Byrd
Ellis
Gentry
Haavisto

Jones off the track and now making up time and coming from last to 12th

Johnny & Monica
07-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Pat Brown and Kory Ellis are both out with quad problems.

Gust is leading by a good 6 seconds over Little

Johnny & Monica
07-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Gust
Little
Lawson
Goodman
Byrd
Spader
Jones
Haavisto
Creamer
Wimmer
Natalie Jr.
Kandell
Reagan

Jones is all over Spader

Natalie is just coasting around with no goggles on just trying to earn some points.

Johnny & Monica
07-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Doug Gust wins moto 2 followed by Keith Little and Joe Byrd.

Overall win goes to Keith Little in his home state of ALabama.:D

Johnny & Monica
07-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Top 3 overall

Keith Little
Doug Gust
Jeremiah Jones

HOLMAN#2
07-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Awsome, Thanks for the report

quadracer707
07-02-2006, 04:06 PM
what happened to #19 dunk this weekend

KWAD GAWD
07-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Big Keith - 2 in a row!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gtilley45
07-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by quadracer707

I didn't see Dunk all weekend. We even walked through the pro pits a couple times and didn't see him or any sign of the Lost Creek Cycles team. One of my buddies said he hear that Dunk said he wasn't gonna run the GNCs anymore.

Admin
07-02-2006, 05:07 PM
<li><a href="http://www.atvriders.com/atvresults/atvamx200610millcreekraceresults.pdf"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Complete ATV Race Results </font></a></li>

Pro Race Results
1 12 HON Keith Little Russellville, AL 2 2
2 55 SUZ Doug J. Gust Salem, WI 4 1
3 2 SUZ Jeremiah Jones Bowling Green, KY 1 5
4 708 HON Harold Goodman Romulus, MI 3 4
5 7 HON Joe Byrd Union City, TN 7 3
6 30 YAM Travis Spader Pt Pleasant, NJ 6 7
7 191 HON Dustin Wimmer Center Valley, PA 5 10
8 75 WAL Joe Haavisto New Ipswich, NH 8 8
9 270 HON Josh Creamer North Stonington, CT 14 9
10 13 HON John Natalie Houtzdale, PA 12 11
11 751 HON Trent Kandel Millersburg, OH 11 12
12 16 HON Jeremy Lawson Battletown, KY DNF 6
13 53 YAM Kory Ellis Murrieta, CA 9 DNF
14 98 SUZ John Ragon Milan, TN DNF 13
15 17 HON Rodney Gentry Reddick, FL 13 DNF
16 199 YAM Patrick Brown Pittstown, NJ 10 DNS

Race4Yamaha38
07-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by gtilley45
I didn't see Dunk all weekend. We even walked through the pro pits a couple times and didn't see him or any sign of the Lost Creek Cycles team. One of my buddies said he hear that Dunk said he wasn't gonna run the GNCs anymore.

That sux that he won't run them any more. Maybe he'll change his mind. Any one know why he isn't doing them anymore?

sean69
07-02-2006, 05:41 PM
WPSA! That is probably the reason why.

gtilley45
07-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by sean69
WPSA! That is probably the reason why.

That's what my buddy said. He said he wasn't gonna do anymore GNC's only the WPSA tour. I didn't ask where he heard that. For all I know it may be a load of crap.

need2ride
07-02-2006, 08:07 PM
i am not to good at math but i got it figured like this in the points now!

joe byrd-221
doug gust-208
john natalie-202
jj-189

doug is getting close

Race4Yamaha38
07-02-2006, 08:29 PM
That's what my buddy said. He said he wasn't gonna do anymore GNC's only the WPSA tour. I didn't ask where he heard that. For all I know it may be a load of crap.

yea it seems a little weird that the lost creek rig wasn't there so maybe something was wrong w/ the bike and they couldn't get it fixed or maybe dunk is sick or something but who knows we'll just have to wait and see.

quadchick3
07-02-2006, 08:34 PM

its not a load of crap its true. theres alot of pros that are just switching to WPSA. they make more money in one WPSA weekend than they can in 2-3 GNC races. Others such as Jason Luburgh, Chad Wienen, Rocco Arno, and Tavis Cain have made the switch.

jason14x
07-03-2006, 06:37 AM
Not surprising at all with all the BS thats going on. I also find it quite humorous that they were puting the amateurs on the podium like back a few years ago...Hmm think maybe they see that the riders are getting the respect they deserve all the way around at WPSA? Its a shame but I think you'll see the numbers continue to drop at the Nationals as WPSA gets a stronger foothold. Oh well what can you do?

J.

jlhughes750
07-03-2006, 06:45 AM
maybe attendance will rise in both series when people see how awsome this sport of OURS is!!!!!

xcnick38
07-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Race4Yamaha38
yea it seems a little weird that the lost creek rig wasn't there so maybe something was wrong w/ the bike and they couldn't get it fixed or maybe dunk is sick or something but who knows we'll just have to wait and see.

no dunk and the quad were fine they were at sleepy hollow racing on sunday

dvx rider1
07-03-2006, 01:12 PM
I got back from Mill Creek last night and that is the most fun I have had at a GNC in a long time!! Lots of flat parking, courteous staff, the best staging area of any track (multiple lanes AND covered), lots of different areas to view the track(one spot in the middle of the track had a huge RedBull awning), portapotty near the starting line which seems to have become 'optional' at other tracks this year, the safest and most sensible holeshot that I've seen, the place was great to race at. The many of you who missed it really missed a fun, fast track.
Let's start with proximity to the interstate; it was less than 5 miles from I-20, no wandering down a 2 lane road for 25 minutes. It was also less than 10 miles from a WalMart, Home Depot, and some restaurants, but then again most southern towns will have a WalMart close by, especially if you are that close to a NASCAR track!!.
The entrance was well marked and there were LARGE directional signs at key areas as soon as you got off the interstate that said 'ATV MX Nationals' on them all the way to the entrance which was well marked. The road in was completely gravelled (doesn't seem too hard to do Mr. Banks) all the way to the gate and they had showers (albeit high school locker kind, no dividers:().
Lawson was the fastest guy, but he blew a motor in moto 1 and I think that made him slower for moto 2. Goodman was impressive too as well as Spader who just looked tired about 2/3 through.
Conditions were Loretta-like hot and I think the Shaved Ice people are at Ferrari as I type this buying a new car. Amen for them though, best $3 I spent all weekend! Very little drama except for Natalie trying to park in the middle of the night, but I'll let him address that.
Victory Watersports of course drenched the track Friday night like always in order to avoid prepping on Saturday which of course meant the usual mud pit type practice in the morning for us unfortunate souls who couldn't make it there Friday. So 25+ gallons later as I am cleaning my quad from 3 miserable laps, they finally scraped the top layer of mud off and it took 8 hours of 100 degree heat to dry out the remainder of the track, which is part of why Sunday's times were faster. That's my only real gripe though, so that's how well the weekend went.
Those many of you who chose to skip this race really missed out. It was fast like Gatorback but not as dangerous with a superior starting section. I assume #s are down because:
1. It's a holiday weekend and there are those of us who think beach not dirt on our summer holidays
2. Gas and fuel are just too friggin high
3. Promoters group have driven a wedge in the GNC family and they refuse to fix that or much less acknowledge it
4. WPSAs are ran better, more $$$, better coverage, and they actually care that we're there.( By 'we' I mean amateurs and spectators)
5. The economy is even effecting all of the seemingly indepently wealthy people who race ATVs(Could there be more Renegades at the races?).

But mostly 1 & 2.

quadrcr161
07-03-2006, 01:55 PM
im glad you enjoyed it, hopefully it will bring more races back there. That is one of our local tracks that we race at and have for practice. one thing i didnt like though is that they cut out the back section and that is prob one of the most fun parts of the track. one reason it was a little more muddy was it rained a little friday night also, the wind picked up and almost blew my awning and it took the top off one of the ez-ups. but ido agree it was flooded and several people were stuck. i think victory did pretty good running the races quickly and on time. again hopefully everyone else there enjoyed it and if anyone want to ride back and race the full track we are having a sequads atv only race there in sepember.

Originally posted by dvx rider1
I got back from Mill Creek last night and that is the most fun I have had at a GNC in a long time!! Lots of flat parking, courteous staff, the best staging area of any track (multiple lanes AND covered), lots of different areas to view the track(one spot in the middle of the track had a huge RedBull awning), portapotty near the starting line which seems to have become 'optional' at other tracks this year, the safest and most sensible holeshot that I've seen, the place was great to race at. The many of you who missed it really missed a fun, fast track.
Let's start with proximity to the interstate; it was less than 5 miles from I-20, no wandering down a 2 lane road for 25 minutes. It was also less than 10 miles from a WalMart, Home Depot, and some restaurants, but then again most southern towns will have a WalMart close by, especially if you are that close to a NASCAR track!!.
The entrance was well marked and there were LARGE directional signs at key areas as soon as you got off the interstate that said 'ATV MX Nationals' on them all the way to the entrance which was well marked. The road in was completely gravelled (doesn't seem too hard to do Mr. Banks) all the way to the gate and they had showers (albeit high school locker kind, no dividers:().
Lawson was the fastest guy, but he blew a motor in moto 1 and I think that made him slower for moto 2. Goodman was impressive too as well as Spader who just looked tired about 2/3 through.
Conditions were Loretta-like hot and I think the Shaved Ice people are at Ferrari as I type this buying a new car. Amen for them though, best $3 I spent all weekend! Very little drama except for Natalie trying to park in the middle of the night, but I'll let him address that.
Victory Watersports of course drenched the track Friday night like always in order to avoid prepping on Saturday which of course meant the usual mud pit type practice in the morning for us unfortunate souls who couldn't make it there Friday. So 25+ gallons later as I am cleaning my quad from 3 miserable laps, they finally scraped the top layer of mud off and it took 8 hours of 100 degree heat to dry out the remainder of the track, which is part of why Sunday's times were faster. That's my only real gripe though, so that's how well the weekend went.
Those many of you who chose to skip this race really missed out. It was fast like Gatorback but not as dangerous with a superior starting section. I assume #s are down because:
1. It's a holiday weekend and there are those of us who think beach not dirt on our summer holidays
2. Gas and fuel are just too friggin high
3. Promoters group have driven a wedge in the GNC family and they refuse to fix that or much less acknowledge it
4. WPSAs are ran better, more $$$, better coverage, and they actually care that we're there.( By 'we' I mean amateurs and spectators)
5. The economy is even effecting all of the seemingly indepently wealthy people who race ATVs(Could there be more Renegades at the races?).

But mostly 1 & 2.

gtilley45
07-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Yeah, Lawson was hauling some major ace but I think Jeremiah Jones was hauling more. If he hadn't had trouble early in the second moto, I think he would have walked away with it. But, it was good to see Keith Little win. Me being from Alabama and Keith coming to a couple of our local races when he has time has made me a fan of his. Plus, at the open house they had at the Wal Mart thursday night, he was super nice. Me and a buddy of mine stood there and talked to him for about an hour. He talked to us like we were his best friends. And I agree with ya'll that this was a very good race. Last time I was at Mill Creek, they didn't have as much good parking areas so I was worried about that being a problem but it looks like they spent a lot of time working on the parking since I had been there. It's good to know folks enjoyed the race, maybe they'll keep having them there. It's nice to have a national that's only 1 hour and 15 minutes from home. Maybe next time my quad will be together and I'll be able to race.

Ripitupfilms
07-05-2006, 10:36 AM
DUnk went to sleepy hollow MX in pa this weekend to beat the local A riders for some reason.. :o

Yfz_11
07-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by quadracer707

I was with dunk this weekend.. he was at sleepy hollow mx.. He has moved on to the Espn series and will only be doing a few nationals..

Rafikie
07-06-2006, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by jason14x
Oh well what can you do?

J.

join the NEATV series. not the biggest payout I'm sure but it's always a good time :devil:

Pappy
07-08-2006, 06:54 AM
I don't think there is a lot of thought going into making the switch from the GNC's to the WPSA. It is a no brain-er for the top talent and their sponsors.

With our sport growing at a rapid pace, competing series can help the sport grow even more and allow riders that otherwise would be getting recognition have a chance to move up the ladder in the GNC's.

It wont be the same not seeing a few of the names we usually associate in the standings, but new names will take their place.

Yamahauler_04
07-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Why would they leave?

Let me see...

The WPSA pays more.
The WPSA treats the riders better.
The WPSA has a TV contract.

Does there need to be anymore?