PDA

View Full Version : cam chain????

94F450SD
07-01-2006, 09:36 PM
ok does anybody possibly have a sound clip of what a bad cam chain or tensioner sounds like?

i was raceing my buddys 660 raptor today and after the 3rd race at the end of the straight away when i let off the throttle it was makeing a wierd noise.its kinda hard to explain what it sounds like and the battery in my video camara died or i wouldve taped it.but its not a knock sound its more of a rattle sound.if i rev it neutral and let off the throttle it does it.if im riding and let of the throttle without pulling in the clutch it does it.i checked the exhaust and heat heat shield to see if they were loose but that aint it.i can sorta feel it if i put my hand on the head.

i do have a hotcam stage1 in it.is it possible the bolts for the gear loosened up?or fell out?i did locktite them when i put the cam in.the tensior worked fine also as the bike was only about a month or 2 old when i did the cam.

bh2285
07-01-2006, 10:04 PM
If the noise is only after you let off the throttle I had the same noise and I found it to be a be crank. Slop in the wrist pin. I hope its not your crank(have fun spliting cases). I would go ahead and replace your chain its a cheap fix. Try that first if it does not go away you need a new crank. Dont get your hopes up about the chain tho I did and it was not that at all. My crank was shot.

Also be sure your valves are adjusted and your headgasket in not leaking. First of all.
Check your timing while your in there also

GPracer2500
07-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by bh2285
...I found it to be a be crank. Slop in the wrist pin...

So, what was it exactly? You said crank but you also said wristpin, which isn't part of the crank.

bh2285
07-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Its was the wrist pin..Very much slop causing a noise when i let off the throttle. I also have slop where the rod connects to the crank. I cant find a OEM replacement Rod so I guess i just have to buy a whole new crank??? Correct me please. I hope. <<

patches85
07-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by bh2285
Its was the wrist pin..Very much slop causing a noise when i let off the throttle. I also have slop where the rod connects to the crank. I cant find a OEM replacement Rod so I guess i just have to buy a whole new crank??? Correct me please. I hope. <<

Hotrods makes just the rod,also some others too.

GPracer2500
07-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Nope, Honda doesn't sell OEM rods separately from the crank--you have to buy a crank assembly that includes both. There are a variety of options though. If all you need is a new rod you can purchase aftermarket rods (Hotrod, Carrillo, Falicon) seperately. But don't forget about installation. One piece connecting rod installation requires dismantling the crank--and properly indexing the compenents upon reassembly is a job for an experienced machinest only.

Or, you can buy a complete crank assembly from Hotrod (Hotrod is a Wiseco brand). If you go with a OEM Honda then shop arround on prices. Your local dealer might charge you $150 more for a crank assembly than if you ordered one from an on-line parts distributer (ServiceHonda). If you're replacing your crank then consider it as an opportunity to put in a stroker crank. The cost will go up, but so will performance. Just something to think about...

94F450SD
07-02-2006, 04:50 PM
i know what a loose wrist pin and rod sounds like.this isnt a rod.besides the bike is only 6 months old.oil is changed every other week or more and i only ride on saturday and sundays if i have time.its probably got a total of 300 hours of ride time on it,if that much.

94F450SD
07-16-2006, 06:10 PM
well i found the noise,actually i didnt but a guy at the pits did.its my chassis skid plate vibrateing agansit the frame by the swing arm.