PDA

View Full Version : My 250r project

theTman
07-01-2006, 07:12 PM
alright,so i bought this 1986 250r off of a site member ( Atkins) having not seen this quad, but knowing the problems...

The motor had been bored out to a 310 by CT racing, but due to it overheating while Atkins had it, it cracked the head. Not knowing what I was getting myself into with this, I had Atkins make the trip up to drop it off for me.

I pulled it out of his truck and said to myself, "Oh great, this isn't going to be fun."

Here is the quad within minutes of getting it into my garage.

theTman
07-01-2006, 07:13 PM
I had a few parts left over from my 400ex that I was able to mount to the R like my LSR axle/carrier, i also put on some bars that Atkins gave me along with a bunch of other parts.

theTman
07-01-2006, 07:14 PM
After staying up pretty late working on this, I got the motor and radiator pulled out to further inspect the quad and clean it up.

theTman
07-01-2006, 07:17 PM
After tearing into the motor to find out why it had overheated, I noticed that the impeller was for a different model ATV, and was not splined so it couldnt stay onto the impeller shaft, causing it not to spin, not allowing coolent to complete the flow to the head.

I ordered some parts to fix the impeller problem, and started to rebuild the R.

theTman
07-01-2006, 07:19 PM
After getting the parts I need in, i got the quad almost complete and ready to ride, until i figured out that i was missing the part of the pipe that connects to the motor itself, so i found a cheap Sparks MX full pipe on ebay and bought it, completing my R.

theTman
07-01-2006, 07:21 PM
I kicked it over, and jumped with joy as it started about 4th kick! Not bad for not running for almost 2 years eh?

As I took it for a spin, I happened to look down, and what i saw shocked me.

It was leaking horribly!

theTman
07-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Well I tore it down and came to a conclusion that I needed a new oil seal and mechanical seal, so I ordered those and a few other things that im currently waiting to come in.

Hopefully this is the only problem.

This concludes the build for now, until next week when I get it all back together.

Here is how it sits, such a sad sad sight.

Zeppelin03
07-01-2006, 07:33 PM
too bad that pos cant beat justin's 400ex with racing valve:blah: ...hhaha...good luck with the re-build and hopefully that thing is runnin when i get back from vac. so we can ride.

yellowzo3
07-02-2006, 05:48 AM
yeah man good luck with the rebuild and its good to see you sticking with it and not just selling it because things arent going to plan. im sure youll be even happier in the end when it all runs smooth since youve put alot of hard work into it. nice job so far and keep at it. :cool:

theTman
07-04-2006, 02:57 PM
well i got all my parts in, now i just need to rethread something and grab a few more nuts and bolts, gear oil, and some gas then see how she runs:devil:

theTman
07-04-2006, 03:15 PM
forgot pic