PDA

View Full Version : idles good but drops shortly after

tltcracing
06-30-2006, 09:18 PM
well i think the pilet is set right and the carb is all cleaned out. as soon as i stop (after its all warmed up) the idle drops and withen about 5-10 seconds it get so low the motor stops. i dont have a tac to measure the RPM's but they sound about right if not a little high. i think it might have to do with the pilot jet but i have tryed the guides on setting it and it doesnt help.

tltcracing
07-02-2006, 11:48 AM
no one?

GotMuscle?
07-02-2006, 11:51 AM
You have to set your idle at operating temp. Take it out and beat on her for about 5 min then stop and set your idle. you should be good then

tltcracing
07-02-2006, 12:03 PM
its idle is fine. it just doesnt stay stedy there.

GPracer2500
07-02-2006, 03:57 PM
When trouble shooting an erratic idle the first thing I'd check for are intake air leaks. But air leaks usually cause a hanging idle--not a low idle. Still, it's something to check. It could be something weird; like an air leak causing a high idle, which you've compensated for by turning your idle adjustment lower than normal which is causing....

The other thing I'd check is the carburetor's float height. A too high float hight can cause stalling at idle. Does the condition vary at all if you jump around on the quad, pitching it up/down and side-to-side? If those gyrations have any effect on idle performance that would point to a float height issue.

Where is your pilot circuit set and what mods do you have? I'm not too familiar with typical jetting specs on 450rs but it may just be that the pilot circuit is out of wack. I know you mentioned that the carb is cleaned out--so don't take this as an insult--but are you SURE there are no blockages? The pilot circuit has some of the smallest passages to be found in a carb. Carb cleaner and compressed air is a must to eliminate that possibility. Other than the idling how does it run right off idle? Any popping or rough running at or near a closed throttle?

When checking for air leaks, don't forget to check the hot-start mechanism on the carb (is this an 06'?).

Not sure if these are all things you've checked, but that's what I've got.

tltcracing
07-02-2006, 04:05 PM
after checking for air leaks i found a rip in the air box boot. its more like the seal was broken but i had a spare and put it on right away. it seems to have fixed it for the time being. i probobly riped it when i was working on it before. (remember my crazy high idle?) the real test wil come when i go to ride it next weekend on a mx track.