PDA

View Full Version : MX racing question

AR15 guy
06-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Right now my 400ex is pretty much stock. I was wondering what I should get next? I want to start MX soon and I was wondering what is the most important.

Local track doesn't have any huge jumps but I will do suspension later down the road.

Should I go ahead and widen it? Nerf bars?

I want to widen it but I am afraid it will not fit in my s10.

Anyways what would you get first? A list of thing in order of importance would be sweet also.

iamabowler
06-30-2006, 09:10 PM
My 400 has +2 arms and a wider axle and it fits in my s10. you gotta lift it over the wheel wells but it does fit

miller821
06-30-2006, 09:31 PM
Nerf bars are very importing IMO... But suspension, exhaust, filter, a-arms.

AR15 guy
06-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Is it a tight squeeze with the +2's?

I am trying to decide what to get first because I am definetly on a tight budget. If I could sell my dirt bike then I could get a couple things. But right now money is pretty tight.

I am trying to find some 450r shocks for cheap for now.

Buddy of mine raced in the 400+cc class today against a bunch of 450r's on a 660 raptor with exhaust, filter, and hotcam. No suspension mods and took 3rd.

I was surpised since it was about to tip around every turn. I think with a few mods I could tear upo the 400cc class.

Quadrider63
06-30-2006, 10:47 PM
and u need a tether kill switch for sure

Chino886
07-01-2006, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by AR15 guy
Is it a tight squeeze with the +2's?

I am trying to decide what to get first because I am definetly on a tight budget. If I could sell my dirt bike then I could get a couple things. But right now money is pretty tight.

I am trying to find some 450r shocks for cheap for now.

Buddy of mine raced in the 400+cc class today against a bunch of 450r's on a 660 raptor with exhaust, filter, and hotcam. No suspension mods and took 3rd.

I was surpised since it was about to tip around every turn. I think with a few mods I could tear upo the 400cc class.

I know a guy that is selling his JD performance +2 ST a-arms and Works Performance shocks for $400. PM me for details.

Can't beat that deal.

armysig
07-01-2006, 08:18 AM
I would have to agree with the guys here. Work on your suspension.

I would definatly look into the offer Chino pointed out to you. That's a hell of a dea. Also if you don't go out bashing the living daylights out of your quad I would look into the Gforce axle. I know people say it's cheap but I have never had a problem with it.

Another thing to look at in the future is to have the shocks valved and sprung to your weight. This is a huge differance in your riding performance.

Check out Ebay and this site for deals on parts. I have bought a lot of stuff like that and I have kept it under $2,000.00. just look at myparts list on my sig.

List of parts to get if needed.

Kill switch
Slipon or full exhaust (what ever you can afford)
nerf bars
wider axle
Wider A-arms
Front shocks (standard length, more out there and a little cheaper)
Air filter (K&N or other brand that's good)
Dynojet kit

Things to think about in the future

416 or 426 piston kit (440 is a good upgrade, but a lot of work after to maintain it.)

Hotcam

Full exhaust (HMF, Yosh, FMF, LRD or what ever fits your needs)

Chain and sprocket kit

Dougles bead lock rims in the back

Dougles rims in the front (Yellow lable)

Tires ( lot of people use Kenda Klaw MX or Holeshots, or what ever deal on at that time)

Keep your head up man. It took me a long time to get my quad the way I have it now. And I'm still not done. I have a lot of engine work to do still.

onefast400ex
07-01-2006, 11:27 AM
I've got some parts to sell that you mine need:
ASR+3 a arms - need to be repainted and could use some new ball joints. The tie rods and three tie rod ends are included. $170 shipped
Procircuit t4 full system - two years old in pretty good condition - $150 shipped
Rear douglas dual beadlocks on holeshot mxr4 tires (used twice)
$250 shipped
Elkas dual rate rear shock with elka linkage ( great condition) $600 shipped
Tag t2 handlebars and tag oversize clamps $95 shipped
I accept paypal, If you need any other parts ask, I might have some. My email address is mxandrew12@aol.com

Thank You
Andrew

DOHC
07-01-2006, 05:59 PM
U need bars for sure, but if u want to try to keep up to the 450rs/yfz 450s/ltr 450s u need more power for sure!. i dont have any suspension upgrades and i need to get some for sure but i dont have the cash right now i put alot more power into mine (look at signature). I need to get nerfs, kill switch and possibly a new clutch pertch for this year, nexted year elka's and hoplfuly g force axel :D

AR15 guy
07-01-2006, 06:02 PM
I have Moose bars already. Buddy that had the quad before me put them on there.

I will be racing the 400cc class so I should have a chance.

Buddy took 3rd last night. On a raptor 660 vs 450r's. Stock suspension also.

Should have seen him in the turns...always on 2 wheels.

jmccary
07-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Go with some nerf bars and a kill switch to start with. Most places require those. Next, get the suspension up to par and add some A-arms. I recently started racing after a 15 year hiatus and found that the wider A-arms and suspension are a must if you want to get close to the 450's (us old timers didn't have +2's and +3s back in the day). Get the bike to corner well and you'll be set. The 400ex is a fun MX bike because it's quite a bit lighter than the bigger 450's. I can ride with them pretty much anywhere on the track except the longer straights and hills. A lot of those guys rely on the bike's power rather than learning to corner and jump properly.

It looks like onefast400ex could hook you up at a reasonable cost too.;)

AR15 guy
07-02-2006, 07:33 PM
I was practicing today and I am in dire need of new shocks. I was bottoming out quiet a bit today.

Local track doesn't require nerfs or a kill switch.

I was beating a buddy of mine pretty badly on the track. He was on his 660 raptor. It has a good deal more power than mine but it can't hang in the corners.

He took 3rd at the local track in the 400cc + class. Wonder what I could pull off.

armysig
07-03-2006, 07:53 AM
The Raptor has a high center of gravity, so he might of had a hard time on sharp corners and banks.

You can adjust the compression and rebound on the rear shock, which should help with the bottoming out. There should be a lot of threads on how to adjust it properly. Just do a search for it.