PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the axle off 250X to change bearings

tkatka70
08-16-2002, 05:28 AM
Im replacing my rear wheel bearings and i cant figure out how to get inside there. I got everthing tooking apart but not the things i need. How do you get in side the casing. How do you get everthing apart so you can put the bearings in there.

tkatka70
08-16-2002, 10:59 AM
come on guys i have to know i have my quad on a jack now and i want to ride it so asap

Rastus
08-16-2002, 11:33 AM
Are you talking about how to get the bearings out, or the axle?

Bearings:

Well, what i did was, since they're bad bearings i jsut stucka rod in the through the other side and hit it with a hammer. Just keep doin that around the bearing on the other side till she comes out, then do the same on the other side.

putting them in is really easy

get a peice of wood that will fit in, and set the bearing on top of where its supposed to be, then hammer it. Be careful, dont get that sucker in sideways!

Axle: im not too sure how much you have done, so I cant help ya there.
Just tell me what all you have off.

tkatka70
08-16-2002, 07:36 PM
250X rider do you have to take the axle out to get the bearings out thats what i thoughts you had to do. I can get the axle out. First off the axle nut wont come off. Also the braket that holds on the disk brake with the 3 bolts that hold on the disk part How do you get that off. Thanks.

ASAP

Rastus
08-16-2002, 08:27 PM
First off:

The Axle nut has left hand threads. Get a pipe wrench and that thing will turn . Remember, they're left hand threads.
When you have those backed off, take off the little clip that keeps the axle nut on.(You have to have the whole wheel/hub off too.)

Then, you should be able to take off the brake disc by jsut sliding it off.

Then, you'll see the plate thats kinda weird lookin, that holds the rear brake caliper.There will be like a ring on that you have to take off, take that off, and take the caliper plate off.

You should be able to see the one of the bearings.

You'll now have to put the quad up on a jack to pull the axle out of the axle carrier/bearing carrier. Make sure you have the right hub on, and get a rubber mallet and hit the axle out.

Keep in mind the chain tightener/loosener system has to be removed(pretty much take the bolts out, and take the chain off.)

You should be able to get the carrier etc. stuff out now.

I Told you how to take the bearings out in an earlier post.

tkatka70
08-17-2002, 04:43 PM
i figured it out thanks anyway but know i have another problem. i craked my bearing carrier. That will run me about $160 in Denis Kirk. AND that comes with bearings so i will have an extra set laying around. Know any good places to by the carrier for a cheap price. Honda Of Troy wants like $215.

flaneledholes
08-17-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by tkatka70
i figured it out thanks anyway but know i have another problem. i craked my bearing carrier. That will run me about $160 in Denis Kirk. AND that comes with bearings so i will have an extra set laying around. Know any good places to by the carrier for a cheap price. Honda Of Troy wants like $215.

MARCUMS has a rad parered carrier for $200... And the cheapest carreir I have seen was @mezsaros motsports for $150....