PDA

View Full Version : Radiator smoking

TheFontMaster
06-30-2006, 06:23 PM
It started wed. I was riding around the sand pitts up here for about 2 hours. It was hot, and I was goin wide open in only 2nd and 3rd gear for just about that whole 2 hours. When I pulled over to take a break I noticed it was smoking, I got off, and I saw the coolant in the over flow rezzie was boiling, and spilling coolant. I shut it off, let it cool down, and then rode it easy the mile or so to where my truck was. Tonight I go out cause I wanted to warm it up, take it for a little ride to make shure it was running right, and I didn't overheat it so much that it caused damage. Well I let it warm up, took it up the road, about a mile of riding, pull over to take a look at it, and there was just a little smoke comming off the face of the radiator. Took it home, took off the plastics to look at it better, amd looked for any leaks. There are no leaks. The only thing I found wrong was the hose I have going from the radiator, to the overflow rezzi has a crack in it, but the smoke wasn't from that crack. The smoke was comming from the radiator itself. I didn't get any cleaners or anything on the radiator, so I have no idea why it's smoking.

JForestZ34
06-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Maybe from the crack in the overflow hose while you were riding so spilled on the front of the rad and is just evaporating off the front of the rad from the heat. Try washing the front of the radiator with water then start it up and see if it still smokes. Maybe some coolant got on the fins of the rad and is getting heated up.

James

Iliketogofast
06-30-2006, 08:25 PM
I bet there was something in there, and it took the radiator overheating to finally get it hot enough to burn it off. Maybe a piece of stick or something lodged in there. Check it out for debris.

TheFontMaster
06-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys, tomorow I'll just hose off the quad, and see if that gets whatevers on the radiator off. If it doesn't I'll just run it till it stops smoking, checking every now and then that it's not overheating again of course.

Iliketogofast
07-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Good idea - you might want to spray the radiator off with some contact cleaner (engine brite with an orange cap works wonders) to try and dissolve whatever may be in there.