PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Immediately!!!!!!!!!

DieselBoy
06-30-2006, 05:06 PM
I just bought a MooseRacing stator, and It does not have a pickup coil. Why? Do I still need my pickup coil? It seems to have more wires..... I'm so confused!!!!!!! HELP!!!

mike,

DieselBoy
06-30-2006, 05:49 PM
It's an aftermarket stator, and it says NOTHING in the instructions about the pulse coil!! I checked the wires coming out. there are 6, just like the stock one. The GreenWhite & BlueYellow that come off the pulse coil are also in this aftermarket stator coming out of the left crankcase cover. any ideas? i think it eliminates the need for this. What is the lighting coil?

Here is the caption on the thing:

Ignition Stator and Lighting/Ignition Stator

- Replacement stators available at a fraction of OEM cost.
- Lighting capabilites available for most current models.
- Lighting coil fits under stock flyweel with no
modification required.
- 1 year warranty.

DieselBoy
07-01-2006, 03:24 PM
does ANYONE have an aftermarket stator??? is this situation THAT RARE?

GPracer2500
07-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Pretty sure most aftermarket stators are not going to include a new ignition pulse generator (what you're calling the pulse coil). Also, you probably have a higher output stator that has two seperate lighting coil circuits (100w x 2 is typical for the 400ex)--which means more connection wires than the stock stator had.

The stock stator is made up of two different "coils". The exciter coil is one of the windings on the stator (I think--some exciter coils are more than one winding). All the other windings combine to constitute the lighting coil. Your aftermarket stator is the same except the lighting coil is seperated into two separate circuits. One get's wired into your stock regulator/rectifier just like the stock stator and the other will need the addition of a second regulator (if you want to use both lighting circuits).

What your calling a pulse coil is actually a very small coil but it's more commonly called a pulse generator (again, I think--I'm not an expert on ignition systems). You'll still need to run the pulse gen wires through and connect them to the wiring harness.

You say your stock stator and pulse gen had 6 wires? I think there should only be 5 wires for the stock stator + pulse gen: 2 for the pulse gen, 2 for the lighting coil, and 1 for the exciter coil.

I'm pretty sure all the above is correct but if anyone sees any errors be sure to point them out. Electrical stuff is not my strong point.

DieselBoy
07-01-2006, 07:23 PM
so you're saying i still need to have a pulse coil for it to run? the instructions don't speak a peep about needing the pulse coil... It has the same color wires within the new stator as the ones running off the pulse coil, so I don't know. it has 100W X 2, i will only use one.

i would also like to add that apparently the stators are not uncommon to go in these machines, and that its actually quite common from 3 dealers... Surprise, surprise.

wilkin250r
07-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Hmm. Electrical stuff is my strong point, and I'm baffled.

You HAVE to have a pulse generator. It actually sets your timing. Your CDI needs this input. It measures the time between pulses to calculate RPM, and the actual pulse itself tells the CDI where the piston is located to set ignition timing advance.

The pulse generator is very critical.

I could imagine a fancy setup that eliminated the exciter coil. It only provides energy for the spark, but you could actually design a system to use battery power for that. I doubt this is what the moose stator does, I'm just saying it's possible.

But you can't eliminate the pulse generator. It's vital. It's like having a gun, handle, barrel, and bullets, but no trigger. The pulse generator is the trigger that fires your entire ignition system.

DieselBoy
07-02-2006, 06:45 PM
I just don't understand! They say to fit the new stator, and reinstall the cover. They don't mention a bloody thing about the pulse generator! WHY in the world would they design and build a stator that does not include a pulse generator? electro sport USA makes it, why would it not include this component and not mention ANYTHING about it in the instructions? I'm going to call tomorrow, and HOPEFULLY get an answer.

What throws me off completely, is that... The Green/white, and blue/yellow that come off the the STOCK pulse generator, are found in the new wiring harness along with the other colors like pink, yellow, etc., but, at the top where you connect them, they are straight colors.

The model on www.electrosport.com is the ESG490, for the TRX400EX.

List of products *Note no pulse generator is sold for TRX's:http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_atv_electrical.html

WIRING INSTRUCTIONS:

http://www.electrosport.com/Images/fitting.esg490.trx400ex.pdf

DieselBoy
07-05-2006, 06:07 PM
okay i'm trying to test the pulser coil without being on the machine. can i just use any magnet? if i put a magnet near it with the multimeter plugged in i get anywhere from 0.07 0.14. i think this is good. if it was shot, wouldnt it not generate anything? im just shootin in the dark here.

GPracer2500
07-05-2006, 06:17 PM
For the pulse generator peak voltage should be .7v minimum. I have no idea if swiping a magnet past it will work or not. I'm guessing the magnet needs to be moving just as fast as the magnet on the flywheel to generate the appropriate voltage.

DieselBoy
07-07-2006, 03:42 PM
I just got off the phone with electrosport, and it turns out they packed it wrong! He's sending me the right one on monday with the plug and pulser coil, I thought I was doomed! Thanks for all your help.