PDA

View Full Version : 250f dirtbikes

EX400rider
06-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Does ne one no anything about the matience on 250f dirtbikes, cuz i think iwant one but ,dont wanna have to deal w/ alot of matience.

tltcracing
06-30-2006, 08:31 PM
should be around the same as any other 4 stroke.

TRX23rider
07-07-2006, 05:02 PM
yeah just like any 4 stroke, depending on how hard you ride it the valves will need to be adjusted accordingly

2001Toomey
07-19-2006, 02:14 PM
No they are not just like any four stroke. You can't compare the 400ex's more to those 250s. The 250 makes about the same power, or more, than the 400's does, but for a reason. Those motor are built with the priority being power and revving, not reliability. If you get one of those 250s, just don't rev it too high, and stay ontop of the oil and oil filter, and air filter, and it'll be fine for a while, and a lot of fun. But the maintainence isn't like any four stroke.

GPracer2500
07-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by 2001Toomey
No they are not just like any four stroke. You can't compare the 400ex's more to those 250s. The 250 makes about the same power, or more, than the 400's does, but for a reason. Those motor are built with the priority being power and revving, not reliability. If you get one of those 250s, just don't rev it too high, and stay ontop of the oil and oil filter, and air filter, and it'll be fine for a while, and a lot of fun. But the maintainence isn't like any four stroke.

Agreed. The CRF only holds around 0.6 or 0.7 quarts of engine oil--that ain't a lot! That means LOTS of oil changes. And that's just one example--the whole bike requires more maintenance than we normally associate with four strokes. Many will say that a two stroke requires less maintenance than many of the new-generation 4strk engines. The quad engines tend to be more durable, but the MX bikes are wound very tight.

rmz250
07-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Agreed. The CRF only holds around 0.6 or 0.7 quarts of engine oil--that ain't a lot! That means LOTS of oil changes. And that's just one example--the whole bike requires more maintenance than we normally associate with four strokes. Many will say that a two stroke requires less maintenance than many of the new-generation 4strk engines. The quad engines tend to be more durable, but the MX bikes are wound very tight.

Exactly, there getting the most performance out a 250 motor possible, and in return you'l have to replace valves often. you can get about 200 hours out of a crf with stainless valves. Performance or reliability-which one do you want?

EX400rider
07-28-2006, 06:21 PM
how many hours "valves" can i get on a YZ250F

GPracer2500
07-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by EX400rider
how many hours "valves" can i get on a YZ250F

Not sure. But from what I've been exposed to, that bike enjoys one of the better reputions for longevity compared to the other 250Fs.

MXridin841
08-18-2006, 02:02 PM
I have a 06' YZ250F that I race often on the weekends. The maintainence schedule on my bike is probably about the same as most of you quad guys who race. I change my oil after every 2 practices. After every race day I change the oil. Practicing I change the oil filter every other ride. For races I change both. I clean my air filter after every ride because it only takes about 5 minutes and helps the bike run alot better. Yamaha's dont have a valve issue like the Honda's do. There are still many early model YZF's with the stock valves in them. Keep up on your maintainence and you bike will last a long time. Nick

EXevan91
08-23-2006, 09:35 AM
anyone have a suzuki 250?

i was at broom toioga over the weekend (where at Ricky C. won his "last title".) and those suzuki 250s sound stronger than most others and the yamaha's seem to rev faster, hondas sound deeper, torqey.

anyone got any "complaints" about a suzuki 250 ?

and as for the yamahas most are five valve, correct me if iam wrong. they have been at this a long time (building *high performance* race bikes).

TRX23rider
08-23-2006, 10:29 AM
from what i have gathered at the races the 06 suzukis are the worst of all the major factories. they didnt do as much to improve it as other companys. the 07's got a total makeover so they should be back up to compete with the other 250f's for 07. heres the basic pros and cons of each for 2006

Suzuki- poor handeling and power

Honda- Great handling, lacks topend end power

Yamaha- good handling good power

Kawasaki- Great power, great handling

KTM- most powerful, worst handling.

from what i have heard and saw i would get the kawi or the yammi.

fastyz85
08-23-2006, 10:46 AM
get the kawi best bike right now from what i hear from some bike mags, but just make sure to keep up on the maintenence like all of the other bikes and u should be fine.

cop292
08-24-2006, 04:11 PM
I have a 2005 YZ250F and have had no issues with it at all. It his by far the best MX bike that I have owned. Unfortunately due to multiple knee surgeries I have switched to 4 wheels and my 250F is for sale. Keep up on the oil changes and you will be fine.