PDA

View Full Version : Can't get headgasket to seal

hondardr4life
06-30-2006, 07:47 AM
I just got a new wiseco head gasket (very similar to cometic) to fix my air leak problem. Now, I can't get this one to seal, it just leaks coolant everywhere. I have no idea what to do next...........

Iliketogofast
06-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Did you use gasket sealer? If so, take the dome off and inspect the deck/dome for chips. That almost has to be the problem, and it's a great excuse to get it milled... :D

hondardr4life
06-30-2006, 10:27 AM
I just had the head milled....

Iliketogofast
06-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Ewww...... Uh oh. I heard that sometimes they mess it up and it leaks. You may be screwed.

If Wilkin sees this, he'll clear it up, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. This is why I didn't get my head milled.

Lonestar_R
06-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Sounds like its time for a new head.....who did the milling.......and is it a stock head......I know trailblazer0250 has a couple on paatving......they were a couple I had....that would be the cheapest fix....or go with a ESR head that would be what I would be doing

Aceman
06-30-2006, 07:35 PM
If it was me I would take it back to the person who milled it and have them check the surface for flatness. Or if you're in a hurry I would find a flat surface like a steel plate, lay a piece of sandpaper on it, maybe 220 grit and proceed to sand my head flat in a figure 8 pattern. Make a couple of passes and look at your head, if it's sanding it evenly then it's flat. Then I would spray some copper gasket spray on the cylinder, both sides of a NEW head gasket and the head, and then put it back together.

zedicus00
06-30-2006, 10:01 PM
i hate thouse paper style head gaskets, if its a standard sleeve get a stock gasket. and yes check it for level on a piece of glass or a mirror.

hondardr4life
07-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Hetricks did the work. I'm sick of pissing with it, I just want it to work right. I might just take my whole bike up there and have them fix it for me......

86250rrider
07-01-2006, 07:05 PM
if the gasket has the rivets on it , the round side of rivet faces down. just a try:D

Lonestar_R
07-01-2006, 08:07 PM
ahhh another Hetricks victim.....

C-LEIGH RACING
07-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
I just got a new wiseco head gasket (very similar to cometic) to fix my air leak problem. Now, I can't get this one to seal, it just leaks coolant everywhere. I have no idea what to do next...........

Did you ever get this problem fixed, give some details where the coolant is comming from, around the gasket; head nuts ??.
Neil

xx3003xrdrxx
07-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Just talked to him a few hours ago and he was still *****ing about it so I guess not . Im not sure but i think that it is leaking the whole way around ? I could be wrong though.

C-LEIGH RACING
07-03-2006, 07:21 PM
That sounds like maybe the sleeve on the inside is higher than the outside aluminum part of the jug, or maybe when the head was machined the surface where the gasket goes was machined at an angle, kinda cone shaped from the dome out.

Its not real hard to pull the head out of shape when tighten those head nuts.
Over tighten them & it causes a humped up place under each nut, & even more so when useing a paper type head gasket like the Cometic set has.

If he has a straight edge of some type, he can check the top of the cylinder & the head for flatness.

If the head & cylinder top check close to flat or be off just a bit, he could get another Cometic head gasket & a tube of Three Bond 1211 sealant & end the leaking problem.
Smear a thin coat of the sealant on the gasket, both sides & install the head & toqure to the proper amount which is 21 ft pounds. Allow the sealant to cure out two or three days before adding any coolant to the system or running the engine any.

I've had good sucess with the Three Bond sealant on head gasket even on big bore stock 250R cylinders.
The key is allowing the sealant ample time to cure out.
Neil

hondardr4life
07-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Well I'm going to give it one more try on my own, then if that doesn't work, I'm just taking it to Baldwins or Back to Hetricks. What would you guys reccomend Cometic, or stock 3 piece??

86250rrider
07-04-2006, 12:52 PM
c-leigh is onto something there, the sleeve may not be pressed all the way down. it would leak all the way around head like you said.either that or its been milled and the acorn nuts are bottoming out on the studs. its something simple like that im sure.

lee37vernon
07-04-2006, 01:11 PM
that makes good sense , perhaps try putting a couple washers under each acorn ?!

C-LEIGH RACING
07-04-2006, 01:36 PM
I hadnt thought about the acorn nuts botteming out, but that can happen, it happened awhile back on one of my engines I was throwing together in a hurry & overlooked.
Even on a stock R jug engine build I use a copper washer under each nut, just like the Pro-x cylinders use.
Neil

hondardr4life
07-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Yah, I have one washer under each nut, maybe I should try 2.:confused:

86250rrider
07-06-2006, 03:07 PM
guarantee it's something silly....irritating ,but silly!:macho

86 Quad R
07-06-2006, 03:21 PM
where exactly is the coolant leaking at? inside to the piston, outside or both? leaking around the nuts?

can ya take some pics of the head surface and the cylinder deck?