PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Spyder IRS

tim colston
06-30-2006, 07:23 AM
http://www.sonicoffroad.com

check the link IRS for about any quad. $ is through the roof but a neat concept. Located in PA. I snagged this from another site and thought it was interesting.

Scro
06-30-2006, 07:46 AM
$3,400:eek2: :eek: :eek2: :eek:

tim colston
06-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by bama450r
$3,400:eek2: :eek: :eek2: :eek:

My thoughts exactly

Pappy
06-30-2006, 07:48 AM
damn...i bet it does wonders for weight bias:eek2:

Iliketogofast
06-30-2006, 08:24 AM
How much does it weigh compared to a regular swinger/shock?

450robot
06-30-2006, 01:58 PM
that is just awsome! looks well designed and fabricated too!

i just wonder about weight

Luecker
06-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Width might be another issue. It is obviosly more for XC than MX and IMO an XC quad should be no more than 46" wide. That looks to be around 48"-50"

F-16Guy
06-30-2006, 05:40 PM
That's pretty sick!! Think about how much an axle and swingarm assembly really weighs. If they use the right material in the right places, it might not be that much heavier. Probably better for XC, though. It seems like the IRS quads have a problem with body roll, and adding a sway bar would throw on even more pounds. A straight axle is still the way to go on the track, IMO. As far as the price goes - price an aftermarket swingarm, axle, sprocket, brake rotor, and then thow in a pair of Fox Floats; it's really not that bad of a deal. For a top XC guy, the added ground clearance might be worth the price.

DOHC
06-30-2006, 05:43 PM
That awsome but by the time u buy it u may as well buy a friggin outlaw :eek:

F-16Guy
06-30-2006, 05:57 PM
I'd never buy a Polaris. Did anyone see the videos? I just watched them and it was pretty impressive. Not much body roll that I could tell.

Iliketogofast
06-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
That's pretty sick!! Think about how much an axle and swingarm assembly really weighs. If they use the right material in the right places, it might not be that much heavier. Probably better for XC, though. It seems like the IRS quads have a problem with body roll, and adding a sway bar would throw on even more pounds. A straight axle is still the way to go on the track, IMO. As far as the price goes - price an aftermarket swingarm, axle, sprocket, brake rotor, and then thow in a pair of Fox Floats; it's really not that bad of a deal. For a top XC guy, the added ground clearance might be worth the price.

Good insight on the body roll... I didn't even think about that.

And speaking of the Outlaw, is that out yet?

Scro
07-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast

And speaking of the Outlaw, is that out yet?

Yep, it's been a couple months.

F-16Guy
07-01-2006, 05:10 PM
I saw the Outlaw in January at round 1 of WORCS. It was pretty fast, but looked narrow and a little tippy. This bolt-on rear end looks a little wider and lower to the ground. I give Polaris props for coming out with that quad, though. It's always much harder to come out with a new product than it is to improve on an existing one. This might be a new revolution in suspension, or it might fizzle out.... but who can tell?

DOHC
07-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
I'd never buy a Polaris. Did anyone see the videos? I just watched them and it was pretty impressive. Not much body roll that I could tell. have u ever owned a polaris? Polaris doesnt get the credit they desive they make great products. I think everyone has just judged them before they actual tryed and owned one. Put it this way i own 10 polaris products :D

elementryder
07-02-2006, 06:35 PM
you guys this set up is very cool it sits at 50" i seen it at sleepy hollow he got 1st he had it on a lt-r450 it will fit any 4-wheeler with wasers and spacers very nice but expensive and the wheels to get negitive camber when you sit on it like this ////

250R-Dee
07-03-2006, 05:08 PM
The Sonicoffroad buggies looked really nice! The IRS looks a bit too heavy and I wouild have to see one work in person in order to convince me to blow that much loot!!

sonicracer
07-06-2006, 02:21 PM
I like to see the interest this kit is getting. I have put many R&D hours into this kit and I am excited to finally get it out there to you guys. It is even posted in the product news section of atvriders.com. I know there are many questions you would like answered and I am happy to do so.

The weight of the unit is right in line with an aftermarket rear setup. It is a few pounds heavier then the stock unit, but as we further develop this product the weight will drop and won't be an issue. The combined weight of the fox float shocks is less then the stock mono-shock. The subframe is 4130 chromoly and is also light because of the structural triangulation. A-arms weigh about the same as a front set. The CV axles combined weigh about 19 lbs and a stock axle weighs 25 lbs. As you can see they match up pretty well.

I know everyone is hung up on the price but if you look at the price of the following:

1. Aftermarket 4130 swingarm $ 883.00
2. Race axles $400.00
3. Race shock $800.00
4. Aluminum hubs $200.00
5. Aftermarket bearing carrier $200.00
6. Rear rotor because you bent it on a rock $90.00

After looking at the cost for all these and understand that now you have 2 gorilla axles $375.00 ea retail, an extensive subframe that replaces the swing arm, a set of A-arms $800.00, Two shocks, CNC Spindles exc…….

So the price of IRS is up there, but the benefits are also up there. Most serious racers spend up to $15,000.00 or more by the time they modify their ATV for the race. This kit is for someone that is serious about their racing and having the sickest machine out there.

If you have any more questions just let me know. It is good that I know what you are all thinking. I am in the middle of designing other parts for ATV’s ex front A-arms and such so stay tuned.

Scro
07-06-2006, 02:29 PM
How much riding time have you put in on the rear-end? Is it holding up as much as a solid-axle rearend would?

sonicracer
07-06-2006, 02:48 PM
The IRS kit holds up great! It is a new product and we are riding and racing it hard as often as possible. We haven't had problems with it. The only thing I can think of is the CV boots. That is the only problem we see on our buggies, but it has never stopped us from finishing a race and doesn't happen often. The Boots are cheep and only take a few min to change. This would be a good question to ask some of the 4x4 IRS riders.

z40021
07-06-2006, 02:49 PM
I would be woried about using it for mx and having a hard landing and it going up and ****ing up ur subfram or on the ltr it looks like it would dent the sh** out of ur silencer. I just dont see what would stop it on a hard landing from doing that.

Scro
07-06-2006, 02:57 PM
I noticed that, too. From the pic of it off the quad, it looks as though there is only one mounting point - swingarm bolt. What is keeping it from pivoting?

calds650
07-06-2006, 03:33 PM
I would saw a sold strut where the stock was.

sonicracer
07-06-2006, 04:10 PM
There is only one strut that is in place of the old shock. That strut is adjustable and we like to keep the IRS subframe about a half inch from the exhaust. It is less the IRS subframe flexing and more the ATV seat subframe that flexes. The ATV subframes aren't too substantial and if you slam down after a hard landing it can bend. The kit with sag has 12 inches of travel so it is quite a soft landing. If you went on my website and checked out the ATCO race my racer was hitting some pretty big jumps and in the video comes just shy from clearing a 100 foot table top. That is some pretty hard landing! It is hard to see from the videos how big the jumps really are but that track is more of a supercross track. Whether the suspension takes away the landing forces with a shock mounted to the frame (conventional suspension) or before the IRS subframe the shock mount will feel the same resultant forces. This kit will impose even less forces to the frame due to the amount of travel that it has.

Thank you for your interest and reply... again, I need to see this feed back so that I can clear up any skepticism that you guys might have.

MAD450r
07-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Im not sure if its the shock setup or how big the jumps werre, but I seem to think the rear was landing hard and making the rider get thrown towards the handlebars. Thats wath it looked like to me anyways.

I ride a 450r and when the rear shock and link were stock mine did that too. So that is why I think it could just be the shock setup.

As for how it handled it looked nice to me not much bodyroll and it seemed to be planet nicely and put the power to the ground.

sonicracer
07-06-2006, 09:18 PM
The larger table top in the picture is without exaggeration 100ft to hit the landing. The video shows our out of shape rider on his 3rd lap and unfortunately he didn't totally clear the jump that lap so the landing was hard. The suspension was stiff and the setup wasn't perfect for that track, but with the correct tuning it would have been smoother on the jumps. We raced to get to the race and didn't even make it to the practice so things could have gone better. We will post some better footage soon so you guys can really see what this thing can do. We have a buggy race in IN this weekend at a track called Stone City Ranch Raceway. We will be bringing the Lt R450 with the IRS kit and my buggies will be racing as well. 0-60 in 3 seconds... Sick machines They are for sale too Hint Hint.

McCormick
07-10-2006, 07:24 PM
http://www.sonicoffroad.com/images/ATV%20IRS/3.jpg

I like....

ACEwrench
07-11-2006, 01:08 PM
you put IRS on a cannondale....sweet!!!!

usrajs79
07-11-2006, 10:19 PM
sonicracer

How wide is the kit? Also how much room is there for gearing changes, as in how big of a rear sproket? Thanks looks real good so far...

UK450R
07-12-2006, 03:07 PM
You say you are working on other parts for quads - i.e. A-arms etc

Do you feel it will be necessary to adjust the front suspension geometry to get the best form the IRS?

I know for example that the front end on an Outlaw is different to the Predator

johnny_bravo
07-13-2006, 12:04 PM
sonicracer,

Your IRS looks good on those new model quads.

Have you sold any yet?

I suggest using HiPer 10" rear wheels with 1" offset or Douglas 9" wheels made for Polaris for the Outlaw. Your a-arms can be made longer = more travel and optimal placement of that travel.

UK450R- you want to widen the front a-arms if you widen the rear with an IRS. Front suspension geometry (frame) can be left stock.

Cheers

400exrider99
07-14-2006, 10:52 AM
its a great idea but its way to expensive

ZSNOW
07-17-2006, 09:41 PM
**** i wish i had 4 grand to spend on my quad right now....i would order that in a heart beat if it weren't for the price...but nice idea....