PDA

View Full Version : YFZ or LTR

warrior350x
06-29-2006, 10:42 PM
well I have a very hard choice to do here, last week I trashed my warriors front-end doing a doudle at were we ride.So my father found it better not to fix the bent frame,a-arms and ect.So this week were going to CHAPARRAL so I been thing witch would be better I ride dunes,and go to Glen Helen when ever I can I weigh 210 with gear,my choices are YFZ because power and because Iam a Yamaha freak,and LTZ because you wont have to buy a-arms,alxe,and ect.ANY info would help.
P>S is there going to be a huge difernce for the 06 to 07 YFZ?

250r4life
06-30-2006, 12:28 AM
no... there are only minor differences between the 06 and 07...

um, either is gunna be an improvement over your warrior...

the yfz engine is hands down better and faster...

unless you really need the width, i wouldnt get the suzuki....

and we know of several issues with the suzuki already, who knows how many more will pop up...

my personal opinion is for the yfz... i very well may get another bike here in the next couple months, and if i do it will be hands down the yfz...

440racer66
06-30-2006, 01:20 PM
i have a yfz and i love it its which one you prefer

warrior350x
06-30-2006, 03:09 PM
How do you find your YZF holding up,Iam 6'2 would I feel crap in th yfz?

DOHC
06-30-2006, 05:03 PM
Man get the yfz for sure if not the yfz then get the 450r both of them are great the ltr is going to be like the z400 full of surprises and not good surprises lol:macho

LOUDONE
06-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Because Suzuki is in their 1st year w/ the LTR 450, I'd stay away. Overall the YFZ is just better.

wolffie
06-30-2006, 08:22 PM
the 700r wouldnt be bad either! especially if you are a bigger guy. The Yfz is one helluva machine though. even if you could pick up an older style used, that would be a great improvement over your warrior.

Blue_Streak23
06-30-2006, 09:22 PM
i wouldn't buy as first year quad. just my $.02

400exrider36
06-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by LOUDONE
Because Suzuki is in their 1st year w/ the LTR 450, I'd stay away. Overall the YFZ is just better.

i agree

Yamahauler_04
07-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Dude, it really comes down to what you want to do.

If you want to mod it up, they are even

If you plan on leaving it stock, I'd buy the LTR. It comes closer to set up already.

Now my big piece of advice. Check around. I don't know anyone who shopped around and bought from Chaparral. They are just too high. You will get a better price somewhere else. Do the footwork, you won't regret it.

R3Concepts
07-05-2006, 12:13 PM
LTR hands down.

How many in this thread besides us has had both?

The LTR is down on power bone stock. Take the baffle out, lid off and put the CB on, and it made 46/32 on a SuperFlo. Same dyno but with an 06 YFZ, that had an Alba pipe, Alba intake, cam mod, jetted, 45/31.

The LTR doesnt "feel" fast because its such a linear power. The YFZ has such a hit like a 2 stroke, it feels fast when it hits. Thats why people think it has so much power.

The LTR handles 10x better then the YFZ bone stock and even when the YFZ has better suspension. The brakes are much better, and the overall ergonomics are much better, especially for taller riders. Tall riders should steer clear of the YFZ, cramped cramped cramped.

Why not buy a 1st year bike? The 450R in 04 has very few problems. The LTR is the same way. People are hearing horror stories with no real facts to back any of that info up.

Besides dont buy a 1st year bike and there wont be years to follow. Whether you fellas like it or not, stock for stock the LTR wins hands down. And to boot my LTR will run with our built MX Hondas.

250r4life
07-05-2006, 01:06 PM
LTRs are gay... cant wait till october so i can smoke 'em again...

400exrider36
07-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts
LTR hands down.

The LTR is down on power bone stock. Take the baffle out, lid off and put the CB on, and it made 46/32 on a SuperFlo. Same dyno but with an 06 YFZ, that had an Alba pipe, Alba intake, cam mod, jetted, 45/31.

The LTR doesnt "feel" fast because its such a linear power. The YFZ has such a hit like a 2 stroke, it feels fast when it hits. Thats why people think it has so much power.

The LTR handles 10x better then the YFZ bone stock and even when the YFZ has better suspension. The brakes are much better, and the overall ergonomics are much better, especially for taller riders. Tall riders should steer clear of the YFZ, cramped cramped cramped.

Why not buy a 1st year bike? The 450R in 04 has very few problems. The LTR is the same way. People are hearing horror stories with no real facts to back any of that info up.

Besides dont buy a 1st year bike and there wont be years to follow. Whether you fellas like it or not, stock for stock the LTR wins hands down. And to boot my LTR will run with our built MX Hondas.
..... in your opinion.
but i neither would buy a first year bike. if i wanted to buy something that nice, id like it to last, so id wait a year just in case....

R3Concepts
07-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider36
..... in your opinion.
but i neither would buy a first year bike. if i wanted to buy something that nice, id like it to last, so id wait a year just in case....

Ive put my LTR through the paces I do with every bike I own and its been great so far.

R3Concepts
07-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
LTRs are gay... cant wait till october so i can smoke 'em again...

So are old clapped out 250Rs.:D

250r4life
07-05-2006, 07:32 PM
so far.

key words :devil:

R3Concepts
07-05-2006, 07:36 PM
key words :devil:

So far as in ridden harder then youve ever ridden that 250R.:D

You go to the dunes? Im assuming you do since you said you couldnt wait for October.

250r4life
07-05-2006, 07:37 PM
So are old clapped out 250Rs.:D

man, you cant talk bad about the Godfather of quads... c'mon man...

I dunno, im not trying to be a punk, but i honestly honestly honestly thing suzuki makes a crappy bike... and i would hands down get a yfz over the ltr...

i dont see a point in fuel injection... the throttle response on the yfz is just fine, especially if you get the boyeson pump that takes away from the bottom end hesitation... i've read on here about people taking the LTRs to the dunes and saying they drank gas pretty good, so it doesnt sound like they are saving gas either... sure it helps with not having to rejet all the time, but with 4 strokes you rarely have to rejet anyways after getting them dialed in... to me FI just makes crap more complicated and more expensive to fix... if the 07 yfz had FI i would hurry and buy an 06

250r4life
07-05-2006, 07:38 PM
So far as in ridden harder then youve ever ridden that 250R.:D

You go to the dunes? Im assuming you do since you said you couldnt wait for October.

yep- youve ridden with me so you know how hard i ride and know i just cruise to the hill, watch, and cruise back huh...

yes sir i go to the dunes... and to the desert... and to the track.. and pretty much wherever else i can ride...

R3Concepts
07-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Take it easy Im just joking. Dont get all bent. But I would be interested in seeing your bike vs the LTR in the dunes.

You would get the point of why the EFI if you saw the AFR line on my dyno sheets for the LTR. Can you say "flatline"?

Where do you ride at Phoneix tracks?

Back to my point: Does anyone in this thread have experience owning BOTH bikes? Didnt think so. So of course everyone is going to be biased to what they have and ride, and then you got the guys who dont ride either going on pure opinion and no facts WHATSOEVER. Those guys make me laugh.:D

250r4life
07-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Take it easy Im just joking. Dont get all bent. But I would be interested in seeing your bike vs the LTR in the dunes.

You would get the point of why the EFI if you saw the AFR line on my dyno sheets for the LTR. Can you say "flatline"?

Where do you ride at Phoneix tracks?

Back to my point: Does anyone in this thread have experience owning BOTH bikes? Didnt think so. So of course everyone is going to be biased to what they have and ride, and then you got the guys who dont ride either going on pure opinion and no facts WHATSOEVER. Those guys make me laugh.:D

man i dont let anything on here get to me... if anything i like when stuff gets "heated"- its entertaining to me...

my bike holds up pretty dang good at the dunes. i have yet to been beat by a FI bike, both the 700r and the ltr... im excited for october though as there were be a lot more to race i hope/anticipate...

i go mostly to ET motopark- speedworld is a bit aways but we'll likely hit it up in the next month or so...

and i agree with you about people being biased on what they own... however, i dont own any of the 450s, so i would say i would be the most unbiased person here... what i say isnt based of opinion... it is based off riding them (which i will be honest and say i have never ridden an LTR, but have ridden both trx & YFZ and prefer the YFZ and will likely eventually get a YFZ) and racing against them... i am somewhat in the market for a 450, and i for sure would get a YFZ...

R3Concepts
07-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Come watch our 450s run at the dunes. I guarantee we change your mind and you buy a TRX or a LTR.:D

250r4life
07-06-2006, 01:43 AM
where do you go... i usually go to gordons well about 8 times a year, and glamis once or twice, and butterup maybe once a season or so...

i know anything can be modded to be the fastest... but for stock, or stock with a pipe and filter and what not, hte yfz is the fastest... im not worried about boring the yfz out and throwing a cam and yada yada yada... then it wouldnt be fun... then there would only be a few people i could race... its not fun and there is no addrenaline involved if your bike is so fast that nobody can touch you no matter what... i like racing people with a bike as fast as mine or faster, so that rider ability is displayed... i dont like racing people with slower bikes than i have... one of the funnest times i had was on my buddies wife's 03 raptor... thing had a 12 tooth sprocket, stock exhaust with the baffle out, K&N pro design, and hte big gun rev limiter... it was a blast cuz i was beating several piped raptors and 450s, and it was hilarious... i actually got to the point where i felt bad for some of the guys i was beating...

point being... there are a lot of people who can afford to buy faster bikes than me, but there arent a whole lot of people who can outride me... get me an 06 yfz with an HMF pipe, pro design K&N, boyeson pump accelerator, jetted correctly, and i'll hold my own with 90%+ of the people...

raptor_02
07-06-2006, 07:49 AM
LTR hands down.

Besides dont buy a 1st year bike and there wont be years to follow. Whether you fellas like it or not, stock for stock the LTR wins hands down. And to boot my LTR will run with our built MX Hondas. i went up to my local suzuki shop and talked with them about buying an LTR. I race motocross and am a B rider at the nationals. I already have a yfz setupf for motocross so I didn't really need an LTR but I told the salesman if he could show me the LTR was as quick or quicker than my YFZ i would consider buying one. I have an 04 and 06 YFZ. My 06 is a tad bit faster. The salesman has an LTR with a Full YOSHI, cherry bomb, kn filter, and the FIMAK (fuel injection map adjuster kit). He told me he would drag race it against one of my yfz's and he would show. SO I took my 04 YFZ. It has an Big gun race series pipe, 185 main jet, pro flow kn kit, plus the cam mod. We raced on black top for about 100yds. On the launch in first he jumped out on me about a half a quad, (only because mine wheelied) but as soon as my front tires touched back down to get on the power i started to pull him. I pulled him in every gear from start to finish. I also have a 15 T sprocket. By the end I probaly had 4 quad lengths on him. I also had 20 inch tires vs his 18's and i thougth that might make a difference on top but the suzuki salesman told me his quad wouldn't hardly pull 20 inch tires so that right there told me the suzuki didn't have as much power. All these motors come from the bikes with a few mods to apply to an ATV. Yamaha and honda have always had the most powerful bikes and they will also have the most powerful atvs. But the LTR handled AWESOME!!! like my 06 YFZ with +2 a-arms. If i were a serious motocrosser i would get the LTR. But if motocross wasn't my top priority I would get th YFZ

R3Concepts
07-06-2006, 12:00 PM
We go to Oligilby and Buttercup. Sometimes Gordons Well, but we ride all of the south dunes. You will see us at Comp at Buttercup, Patton, the Drags and I-8 hill.

My point is that, like above stated, that the LTR makes more power then people think. We had 40 bucks in the CB and about 400 in the Alba pipe, 120 for the intake, 45 for the jet kit, and 35 for us to labor for the cam mod. So 600 in mods for the 06 YFZ and 40 in mods for the LTR, and the LTR made more power on the dyno. So think about that same LTR with 560 worth of more mods, whatever it may be.

If you have 2 equal riders, like 2 MX riders, etc then the LTR will edge out an 06 YFZ. With that being said, the LTR will beat, with the same 2 equal riders, a 04 YFZ by a few bikes. Its not real hard to beat the salesman at the stealership, we all know they talk the talk.

250r4life- I agree with you on the not fun part to half hill the other bikes at the hill. Thats why I bought this LTR, as an other dune bike and something I could race in the groups with and wheelie down the sand drags. But my Honda, well thats a different story.:D That bike has been beat once.

250r4life
07-06-2006, 12:12 PM
well, here is my bike... of course when you see it it'll have an engine in it :D but i shouldnt be too hard to spot... yah im at comp hill off the I8 every night, and am a patton at least once a day... it'll be me and a blue 06 yfz having some killer battles, and racing whoever else we can...

i dont know how much i beleive the ltr putting out more than a yfz with a pipe filter and cam mod... and even then dyno doesnt neccessarily reflect how theyre going to shoot the hill...

and yah, i dont imagine there are too many people you can race your honda with... that being said- you need to save me a race on your LTR come dune season...

R3Concepts
07-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Do you weat black Shift pants, a white helmet, yellow framed Oakleys, and usually carry a gas can in that rack?

Heres a pic of my LTR.

250r4life
07-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Do you weat black Shift pants, a white helmet, yellow framed Oakleys, and usually carry a gas can in that rack?

Heres a pic of my LTR.

yah how'd you know?

250r4life
07-06-2006, 02:49 PM

Heres a pic of my LTR.

lol... thats kinda tripping me out... how did you know that? do i know you? there is no way you would just remember that...

400exrider36
07-06-2006, 02:54 PM
lol... thats kinda tripping me out... how did you know that? do i know you? there is no way you would just remember that...

LOL

250r4life
07-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider36
LOL

for real... i dont know how he would remember that... i dont remember posting any pics on here... and i dont even know who in my group would remember to a T exaclt what i wear- especially the yellow oakleys...

250r4life
07-06-2006, 03:18 PM
he's gotta have a pic of me...

they are black and red shift pants though :D

R3Concepts
07-06-2006, 04:18 PM
I saw your bike and it looked fimilar. I have videos of the two of us racing and Patton.

You were wearing, in the videos, Shift pants, a white helmet, yellow framed Oakleys, a red and black backpack or Camelback, and a gray t shirt.

I wish I knew how to post them but I dont. But do you remember this bike?

250r4life
07-06-2006, 04:31 PM
lol... i totally remember... in fact my buddy on that blue YFZ was just saying last week how you were the only 450r to have beaten him... yah, youre bike was pretty quick...

i totally remember that... i'd like to see those videos...

250r4life
07-06-2006, 04:32 PM
a small small world...

thats too funny...

was i not beating everybody else but you though?

250r4life
07-06-2006, 04:38 PM
ps- thats still pretty good... did you go back and look at the videos after i posted the pic of my bike? was that the trip that i blew her up at Patton?

thats impressive too- cuz she didnt look like that back when i raced you at patton... i have shaved the fenders and sanded them, and they are quite a bit more white...

R3Concepts
07-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Yeah the YFZ with Elkas on the front?

I have like 4-5 with him. I was like WTF is the YFZ doing keeping up with me? Its for sure a quick bike. Both of your bikes run good.

This is what that TRX looks like now. 235 lbs and a lot more motor then when it was a MX bike.

250r4life
07-06-2006, 04:54 PM
right on... you want to make a copy of that video?

he and i trade off quite a bit on who wins, so its fun cuz we always have somebody fun to race against... its usually who gets the launch and as long as we nail all our shifts and all...

warrior350x
07-06-2006, 07:43 PM
OK folks all your info has helped so much but it had to be the Yamaha on saturday we when to LA Yamaha witch had the best deal $5999 OTD and plus they gave me 20% off any aftermarket parts, were everyone says tall people will feel cramped so I bought a IMS ROLL DESIGH steering stem extended of course,and TAG handlebars witch they all installed that same day.The next day we went riding with the hole group witch my god I was surpised with the power this thing makes,and handly witch was 10 million times better then the warrior,I have to say I didnt feel cramped at all,but I did have one problem witch after every ride the header was glow blue and other colors but I heard that its was because there jet to lean from factory so Iam asking what can i do about it what are you guys running?

brapbrap13
07-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Blue_Streak23
i wouldn't buy as first year quad. just my $.02

250r4life
07-07-2006, 01:34 AM
R3- so what'd you have done to it as far as the motor back when we were racing?

4TraxRider
07-07-2006, 03:36 PM
I've got a 175 main in my yfz with no airbox lid and a hmf pipe. I moved the stock needle up 1 notch and it runs alright, but still has the hesitation on the bottom as it did when it was new. I don't ride it much anymore since i got my LTR though. Congrats on the new bike.

hicktown 357
07-09-2006, 10:17 AM
there all good i've rode them all but if u like the ltr i wouldnt worry about the first year thing they really been tested alot so they probally got most of the bugs out in the test but there all fast as hell and great bikes

R3Concepts
07-09-2006, 12:00 PM
R3- so what'd you have done to it as far as the motor back when we were racing?

Piston, cam, CRF ign, FCR carb, pipe, filter.

250r4life
07-09-2006, 07:39 PM
right on.... you wanna make a copy of that video?

R3Concepts
07-09-2006, 07:46 PM
right on.... you wanna make a copy of that video?

I have no idea how.

250r4life
07-09-2006, 10:11 PM
ha ha.. i guess thats a "no"

tye101
07-31-2006, 08:15 PM
lol, the first year quad ALREADY has problems,, the rear shock mount is only tacted, not really welded,, tends to break,, read dirt wheels,, u can't go wrong with the yfz.........

450r's suck

warrior350x
08-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by tye101

450r's suck
agree:D

SuzR450
08-05-2006, 05:37 PM
jus reading this stuff is funny...people talking **** about thr suzuki who probally have never even rode it...its by FAR the best 450 out...and 450rs suck??? ive had and would take another over a YFZ anyday...YFZ's SUCK!!

400exrider36
08-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by SuzR450
jus reading this stuff is funny...people talking **** about thr suzuki who probally have never even rode it...its by FAR the best 450 out...and 450rs suck??? ive had and would take another over a YFZ anyday...YFZ's SUCK!!

LOL! it will be ok

400eXr1d3rZ
08-06-2006, 05:48 AM
I'd take a 450r over a YFZ, but it has to have a kicker.

Alot of guys who ride YFZ's think their tough ****, atleast where I ride, then theres this one time I ended up towing a yfz back to his truck, good times.

400exrider36
08-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
I'd take a 450r over a YFZ, but it has to have a kicker.

Alot of guys who ride YFZ's think their tough ****, atleast where I ride, then theres this one time I ended up towing a yfz back to his truck, good times.

i agree.