PDA

View Full Version : Base runs with the LM-1 installed are done. I start tuning from here.

AL Elks
06-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Well I got the software/programming figured out and can now accurately log my AFR at a given RPM. I currently can only tune at WOT as I still have to hook up the TPS lead and then I'll be able to tune everything else.

Anyway this is an average of 2 runs down an asphalt road in 4th gear. It's a pretty steady AFR actually but a little too rich in my opinion. I"m shooting for 13.1 or maybe even 13.3. Definately going to tune for 13.1 first.

More to come once I start tuning this thing:

http://www.postnetlnc.com/LTR450/LM-1/Logfiles/BR4Gar.jpg

z400clone
07-01-2006, 08:51 PM
This is great info here. Why isn't anyone saying thanks or having a decent disscussion about it? Instead we have threads such as... "check out my quad" or "what is the best pipe" or "best 450" or "dragging" etc. I see Al's posts at other sites and that is where I follow his info and make comments there. Is there no one here that cares? :confused:

armysig
07-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Honestly I don't think to many people are trying to dig into the LTR like Al is. From other posts I have seen he likes to know every bit of detail about his machines and doesn't give up until he makes it perfect.

Most people are satisfied with what they have and don't understand the new EFI enough to try and get the most performance out of their machines.

That's ok, because I have a feeling this information is only going to be shared with a few select people if others don't want to show intrest in how to make their quads even better than they are.

Oh well. People like Al will just give up on the average rider / racer in the future, and I don't blame him if the does deceide to ever do that.

Al, even though I ride a Honda right now doesn't mean I'm not taking notes on the LTR. Keep up the good work bud.

blholtz
07-02-2006, 11:03 PM
I don't think that is that know one cares, I think that it falls more along the line that people may not have the technical apptitude to understand what Al is talking about. Not knocking anyone cause I am kind of in the same boat. I do not understand how to read a fuel map. But dont set there and knock people for jumping in and trying to talk about something that they don't know about. I know what research I have done.

I tried to get a P.I.M. and a FIMAK, but low and behold no one could find it for me at any of the "dealers" that I contacted.

So I went another route, I purchased a Power Commander from Dynojet. Not one of the knock offs. I am going to post a thread about it, hopefully I will be able to do that tommorrow, it will probably be a long read, as once I start I have a hard time stopping.

Al keep this in mind there are a lot of us on this sight that are learning from you even if we do not respond instantly, and for the rest who are learning from you and not posting, I thank you.

Derno24
07-03-2006, 06:19 AM
I have been reading and it is good stuff, but I am coming from a Cannondale and have done this before so I am just enjoying the learning process again.

AL Elks
07-03-2006, 07:04 AM
Oh I'll definately keep posting guys.

I knew absolutely NOTHING about tuning Fuel Injection prior and have just read up on as much stuff as I could. I just like to tune my bikes to the best of their ability when it comes to jetting or or FI. I am running into something that I'm not sure if is it's due to running rich or something else. If at idle a run the RPMs up I'm getting quite a bit of sputtering. Once in awhile I even get flames out the tailpipe when I let off the throttle which we all know is unburned fuel. Now I'm hoping that it's due to the mapping that Yoshi put in there and not something else. Once I tune it I'll know for sure though. What I need to do though is check to make sure the throttle body is bolted down correctly and that I have no leaks anywhere.

I didn't get a chance to do any tuning this weekend. I had too many other things to get done (3 acres of grass to cut, etc, etc).

blholtz
07-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Looking at the afr map you posted it looks to me like you are running way to lean off an idle, could what you see happening be a lean condition caused by being way to lean to start wih then the introduction of air to fast for the efi to compensate for.

I think that the test to that would be whether it happens just when you open up the throttle quickly. I f so I would think it's to lean to fast.

blholtz
07-03-2006, 07:26 AM
By the way Al where have you been finding the info you have been researching on the efi.

AL Elks
07-03-2006, 09:46 AM
I've just been searching anything and everything I can find about EFI and AF rations. I haven't bookmarked anything.

It's definately not lean. It's actually rich. You're making the same mistake I did in the beginning. I was thinking backwards. when actually 12.1:1 - 12 parts oxygen to 1 part fuel.

You want to be around 13.1 to 13.3. Idle being rich as well as the lower throttle postions is ok because it helps to cool the bike but I'm going to tune everything from 1/4 throttle up to WOT to 13.1 - 13.3.

bwamos
07-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Aye, but at 1500 rpm it shows you at 14.01:1. And 16.99 @ 1000rpm.

Granted... that can't be to accurate since I doubt your idle is below 1000rpm. ;)

Averaging that if you're dropping down to 1200rpm on deceleration w/ the clutch pulled in, you could be seeing 15:1 a/f mixture (lean).. hooking up the TPS should help out a lot with the troubleshooting.

blholtz
07-03-2006, 03:41 PM
But the higher the afr the leaner the mix. EG. 21:1 is a leaner mixture than 12:1.

And is the lm-1 a monitoring and mapping system or does actually take the place of the pim fimak or the cherry bomb?

The next thing I would have to ask is did it do this hesitation before you hooked in the lm-1, if not I would check every connection that you made and make sure they are all in place.

If a connection is not correct and the efi cannot find the sensor it will turn the red f/i light on the dash on and it will stay lit and not blink.

AL Elks
07-03-2006, 03:55 PM
I see where you are coming from now. I should have explained something in detail before posting the graph. The LM-1 is nothing more than a Wideband 5 wire oxygen sensor, hooked to a monitoring box that has external connections so you can connect all sorts of neat things. It does not effect the quad at all. It just monitors everything. All I have right now is a bung welded into the exhaust where I insert the oxygen sensor which gets hooked up to the box. I then have the RPM converter that hooks to the box and an inductive clamp goes on the spark plug wire and plugs into the rpm converter. So right now nothing actually hooks up to anything electrical on the quad. I plug the power cord into a 12v external battery I have and just throw that in the backpack when I do my runs. Now I just have to run the wires for the TPS and I"ll be all set.

By the way your'e right in that I'm not idling at that low of an RPM and those figures below 2000 RPM are not accurate. When I calibrated the RPM sensor it calibrates to 2000 RPM so anything below that is pretty much useless as far as monitoring goes.

So if you throw out anything below 2000 it averages out to 11.88.

Derno24
07-04-2006, 03:25 AM
You are right about being rich and the popping you are getting. Don't average the numbers as you should be able to tweak fuel settings at different areas of the rpms.

AL Elks
07-04-2006, 07:05 AM
Definately. Since I can see the AFR at any given RPM that's what I"m tuning for. I just dropped the entire RPM range at WOT by 3 percent and I"m making a couple of runs this morning. I want to see how this drop in fuel changes the AFR. That will give me a better idea of how much drop 3 percent changes the AFR which should help me tune this thing quicker in the future.

Derno24
07-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Cool info let me know how it turns out. I thought it was funny with the Cannondale how many guys don't get the idea that with FI it can be tuned so much more specific. I got my feet wet when all the street bikes switched over.