PDA

View Full Version : i know i know...not another comparison

yellowzo3
06-29-2006, 02:47 PM
sorry guys i know alot of people hate these threads but im interested in getting a 250R. i currently have a z400 i was setting up for mx. its great but im just looking for something different. im familiar with 2 strokes and how to work on them. i started out on a blaster and moved to the Z. we also have a banshee so i know about 2 strokes and how everything works. but the big question for me is how will i like the change? i do some woods riding and want to get into mx and i just plain ride around in fields sometimes. another big question i have is how well do 250r's jump. i understand the pro's used to race them and everything but ive never ridden one myself so im asking all of you guys for your opinions. i know each have their pros and cons but i dont want to be downgrading if you know what i mean. i didnt mean that in a way that 250r's are bad quads (or else i wouldnt want one) but im talking about the type of riding i do and if i would enjoy it or not. sorry for the long post and thanks for reading this everyone. any and all help is appreciated.

250r4life
06-29-2006, 02:54 PM
there is a reason that the 250r is a legend and dominated for so many years... it is plain and simple a great quad... its all around good in pretty much everything... its got a great 2 stroke top end, but it doenst lack bottom end like the banshee... if taken care of they are extremely reliable... they are super light, and as far as jumping- they are absolutely awesome...

they are honestly just a great quad... they are great for mx, dunes, woods, whatever... just a very well built quad...

yellowzo3
06-29-2006, 02:58 PM
thanks for the quick reply! im glad to hear that they have nice bottom end power. the banshee is a ton of fun but your right it does lack in power in the bottom end. im not too big (5'7'') and am wondering if i will be able to move it around in the air and stuff. the Z400 sits a little too high for my tastes and i was also wondering if the R's sit lower. Thanks again for your help.

fireburns99
06-29-2006, 03:00 PM
i agree you, you can't go wrong. It will feel so much better than your Z. The Z's geometry sucks IMO, not to mention a mildy built R will be faster.

250r4life
06-29-2006, 03:20 PM
a stock and piped R will be plenty faster...

yes, with it being so light you should be able to move it around just fine... also with it being so light, you can muscle the front end up anytime you want... if there is a little bump or something you can yank on the bars and bring the wheels up very easily, not too mention just by hitting the gas... when my bike was stock with a pipe i could wheelie easily in 4th gear just by punching a leaning back, without yanking on the bars... now i can do it in 5th...

and yes it sits slow and it does not feel like you will tip at all... they are great to pitch sideways- just stay on the gas and keep the wheels spinning

novaracr70
06-29-2006, 03:57 PM
well i went from a z to the 250r . I really liked my z . but i love the 250r . my z had lsr axle +2 armes , tr 470 kit ,13-1,hot cams,fcr41,yoshi ex, ect , and my stock cylinder 250r will smoke it . i do 90% dunes the 250r is way more fun to ride ,sits lower,rides smother, lighter,faster, cheaper parts, looksbetter, the z has electric start ,reverse , better lights , and probly more trail friendly, just my thoughts

yellowzo3
06-29-2006, 04:02 PM
good to see someone who switched over is happy! i dont mind not having lights since i dont do night riding, i dont mind kickstarting and the no reverse doesnt bother me (although it is nice to have). im glad to hear everyone says theyre easy to move around since im not that big. i want to get better at jumping and was just a little worried that it wouldnt be as good as the Z. thanks for all the help everyone.

mrhyde
07-02-2006, 03:22 PM
My opinion,
My R never nose dives in jumps, like the banshees and raptors I have ridden. I consider myself a novice rider, and when I go to the local mx tracks (nobody around here rides r's) I appear to be a better rider than others, I assume because the r corners better.

more tea vicar
07-03-2006, 07:05 PM
I have a YFZ450, but recently bought a 250R with a CT350 cylinder. got out on it for the first time this weekend and this thing hauls. I am a bit bias because i raced 250R,s years ago but i am sure i can corner faster on the "R" than my on my YFZ. Seem to be able to get the power on quicker out the turns.

My Yamaha will be parked a lot from now on.

TheFontMaster
07-03-2006, 07:39 PM
I never rode a 250r before I got mine. I built my 250r piece by piece from the frame up, and let me tell you I couldn't be happier. It's nice and low to the ground, +2 a arms, and a +4 axle, and this thing is so stable in the corners and just anywhere. I never feel like I am going to tip over no matter what terrain I'm on. Hell I can flat track it 4th gear pinned, sideways through a corner on asphault, and it doesn't feel sketchy ever. By far the best handling machine I have ever ridden.