PDA

View Full Version : great waste of money

tmoney
06-28-2006, 05:26 PM
For anyone considering buying holeshot sx's, dont. Couple hours of riding and theyre falling apart. Unless you have a sponsor ship with itp and get new tires and wheels everyday, dont buy them. Yeah bent my front rim (itp) today too, on a jump, with elka susp, and the landing wasnt even that hard. Gotta luv dem itps.

TRX23rider
06-28-2006, 06:18 PM
id call itp and tell them about your problem. usually they are pretty good with customer service.

wolffie
06-28-2006, 06:29 PM
yeah that sounds good^^^ because those were supposed to be ITP's "top the line MX tire":ermm: at least thats what the magazines have been raving about:confused:

tmoney
06-28-2006, 07:11 PM
yeah they were freakin awsome for the first couple laps

Dr89
06-28-2006, 08:24 PM
yea well you shoulda spent half the money and bought kendas, like that one friend of yrs has been telling you for the longest time. haha thats the only way to go man, and at least if they would have wore out like those holeshots, which aint happenin, you wouldnt have spent $75 a tire.

400exrider707
06-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Its pretty well known that holeshots wear out fast, but thats the price you pay to have the best traction;) . If you think they wear out too fast you need kenda klaws like DR89 said.

My buddy just bought a set of the SX's and loves them.

I myself just bought a set of kenda knarly mxr's and love them, they too wear about as fast as holeshots, but they hook AWESOME!

bwamos
06-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Holeshot's don't like gravel much either.. so don't play in the parking lot. ;)

DOHC
06-29-2006, 08:25 AM
How r razr's wear out fast?

yellowzo3
06-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by DOHC
How r razr's wear out fast?

since everyones talking about mx tires i guess you mean the razr mx's? if you do i have them front and back on my quad and they wear great for me. ive had them for a while and have been in every riding terrain and they work well for me. i cant really compare them to much else though because i havent tried any of the new tires that are out.

JR3
06-29-2006, 10:07 AM
I got the mxr 4s and put 1 practice 2 motos and 10 hours of play ridin and they are the best tire ive ever bought never switchin back to razzr mx or kenda they are wearing really good to and whoever said about gravel i thinnk u only mean hard packed gravel like a road right cause anytire will wear down my mxr4s love like the gravel that are practice track is on. my friend bought a full set of sxs and loves them but they are wearing after a couple races bad heres a pic i took of him with the sx on http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/250ex3/000_0143.jpg

tmoney
06-29-2006, 06:36 PM
I think Ill give Razrs a try, Casey Martin says he likes them much more than holeshots, and they have bigger lugs so they should wear better, I want to try every single option before I take Dr89s advice haha

firefighterjosh
06-29-2006, 06:49 PM
I like the Razrs my self.

Dr89
06-29-2006, 07:14 PM
yea well i had em both so wht do i know...haha man the razrs did wear alright but the kendas hooked up better.

rollie
06-29-2006, 08:20 PM
ITP makes the best tires on the market as far as im conserned, i wont run anything but there rear tires, front tires, when my klaws wear out i will be getting MX-6's to match the rear

Pappy
06-29-2006, 08:24 PM
were'nt the SX's designed to be a very soft compound tire? and if so, who buys them thinking they will last:p ive trashed a set in 1 day, but i knew what using them on a hard rock laden track would do to them.

Dr89
06-29-2006, 08:26 PM
after seeing tmoney's sx's tear up as badly as they did after a couple hours of riding i am more convinced than ever to never spend a dime on holeshots. the sx's have been cracked up to be itp's longest lasting tire yet so i would hate to see what any of the other models look like after a couple laps. you could almost buy two sets of rear kendas for the price of one set of holeshots, rediculous.

Pappy
06-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Dr89
after seeing tmoney's sx's tear up as badly as they did after a couple hours of riding i am more convinced than ever to never spend a dime on holeshots. the sx's have been cracked up to be itp's longest lasting tire yet so i would hate to see what any of the other models look like after a couple laps. you could almost buy two sets of rear kendas for the price of one set of holeshots, rediculous.

so, your expierence on a 300ex versus his expierence on a 250r....

throw a set of what ever you like on that R...it will eat them.

Dr89
06-29-2006, 09:47 PM
i never compared the two of them...? i have alot of experience on alot of quads with alot of different tires so im not sure where you inferred that from. of course his r is gonna chew tires up quicker than a 300 but i dont think many ppl would argue that the klaws or knarlys are gonna last longer than any holeshot.

Pappy
06-29-2006, 09:52 PM
my point was what you just posted, a 250r will eat tires much faster then a 300ex. those are the 2 quads you both have listed in your signatures so i used them as a comparison.

we have tested klaws...and they do last, but what we give up in traction is not worth it. claiming a product is a waste of money with limited testing and little info such as riding conditions, terrain, length of track etc goes nowhere in helping others decide if what you post holds validity or is merely your opinion based on 2 guys riding in a pit:p MX tires today are being designed for specific purposes, its too bad those that buy the hype from the ad's dont realize a tire made for a groomed mx track will not last long ripping up the local shale pit.

400exrider707
06-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Dr89

Since when were the SX's cracked up to be the longest lasting tire? Im sure almost every other tire ITP makes will last longer. They are a purpose built tire. Most people I know go out to race in order to win, and in order to win you need the hook-up that those tires give you, whether they are ITP's Maxxis or kendas. If its a soft compound tire that hooks up good, dont expect it to last long. If your worried about the life of the tire put on a set of razr 2's or holeshot hd's and then dont worry about it. Your using a 2 ply soft compound tire that was built with one thing in mind....getting holeshots and hooking up like crazy. You cant have the best of both worlds here.

hondardr4life
06-30-2006, 07:56 AM
I bought a set of MXR6's and they hook up great and have had good wear so far.

JR3
06-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
my point was what you just posted, a 250r will eat tires much faster then a 300ex. those are the 2 quads you both have listed in your signatures so i used them as a comparison.

we have tested klaws...and they do last, but what we give up in traction is not worth it. claiming a product is a waste of money with limited testing and little info such as riding conditions, terrain, length of track etc goes nowhere in helping others decide if what you post holds validity or is merely your opinion based on 2 guys riding in a pit:p MX tires today are being designed for specific purposes, its too bad those that buy the hype from the ad's dont realize a tire made for a groomed mx track will not last long ripping up the local shale pit.

exactly ive tried razzr mx kenda klaws and knarlys all on mx tracks they last a lil longer but they start gettin sloppy and not hookin. Ill never switch from the mxr4s and mxr6. Only other tire ill ride is a grooved turf tamer but only on certain tracks.

Dr89
06-30-2006, 08:14 PM
yea but i just think there are a lot of guys out there in the same boat as me in that some of us have to base our decisions primarily on tread wear and cost as well as hook up because of our budgets. i think he was posting this as a warning to other guys out there who have read that the sx's are supposed to hold up longer than they did. if you cant go out buying new tires every week and arent sponsered then what choice do you have.

haha and just to make it clear what he's riding on is a whole lot more than some shale pit. its a very nice mx track contructed by transport yamaha and some other big names, with 120ft table of two, lots of big doubles, rythm sections, whoops, an up hill series including two doubles and a long table top, the track is longer than boone national forests (over a mile when its finished) so it def. puts tires to the test.

trx4ever
06-30-2006, 09:18 PM
anyone considering getting sx , they are great and they don't wear out that fast at all. I have had mine since January and have 8 races on them and a chit load of practice and they have worn down almost none. I think you must of had a bad batch tire and all. complain and I m sure you'll be satisfied with a better set

Dr89
06-30-2006, 09:45 PM
naa man his bro got some and they did the same thing, the chances of them both getting a bad set arent even considerable. the stuff he was ridin on was just about as hardpacked as it gets and that wht did them in. they just arent a good tire for someone looking for durability.

idontknowwhoiam
07-01-2006, 10:41 AM
like i was tellin this other guy..the shop around here has been pushin the new pirelli tires and they look like somthing to look at..tread patterns close to the holeshot. but the look tougher...i might get fronts this week..85 bills a peice though...............:(

tmoney
07-01-2006, 11:51 AM
hey I bought the sx's because I wanted a good performing tire on hard packed tracks, I did not buy them hopeing they would last a year I bought them hoping they would last longer than a weekend

and I would not consider bar2bar mx, designed and groomed by transport yamaha, a "local shale pit"

DanW
07-03-2006, 02:49 PM
If I had to buy a new set of tires every weekend to be competitive, then you guys can have the dam trophy. That's just catering to the rich boys.

Sjorge450R
07-03-2006, 08:51 PM
man, Im glad I do XC with 6 ply tires. They dont wear...:p
klaws in the back, barely any ware after about 6 races. GNCC's in the front, no ware after about 4 races.

TheFontMaster
07-04-2006, 12:09 AM
I like the razr MX's. I have been riding them on just about every kind of terain, except tons of rocks. Sand, gravel, loose rocks and sand, dirt roads, paved roads. I have about 15 hours on those tires, and I do a decent amount of road rippin, and there is virtualy no wear on them. When I say road rippin thats flat traking the quad sideways around every corner I can too. The only thing they don't hook up good in is mud. I can't compare them to the other tires, becuase I haven't ridden them, but my experiance with the razr mx's have been good so far, and they are a good all around tire.

Out_Sider
07-04-2006, 07:59 AM
I will NEVER run any except ITP tires on my 450r. I've had my MXR4's on my quad for 4 months and they still have alot of tread, and I run hard every sunday practicing, and racing. As far as Kenda... oh please, those tires couldn't catch traction if it was a pavement surface, maybe the fronts are good, but for the rear they are absolutely terrible in the conditions i ride in. Now i do like the razr mx's, but only when they are grooved, but then they wear faster than the ITPs, so go figure.