PDA

View Full Version : high octane fuel?

tmoney
06-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Right now Im am running premium in my 265 but at my practice track there is an uphill section that I can not clear because I have to take the turn before it in 4th and it bogs.

What kind of difference does race fuel make? Could it help me? What about octane booster? thanks for any help

400 SS EX
06-28-2006, 05:31 PM
You could probably run VP Racing U2 in your bike 50/50 with premium and feel a difference. I think it is also supposed to help with cooling, but not sure on that. It's expensive here $70 for 5 gallons.

GPracer2500
06-28-2006, 05:32 PM
High octane fuel will only help if your engine is experiencing detonation. If your engine is not detonating than it won't have any idea the fuel you gave it has a higher octane rating. Octane is a measure of an fuels resistance to detonation--and that's it. Nothing more.

Now, that's not to say that a standard non-oxygenated race fuel might help your engine run a tad better. But it won't be because of octane--it would be because of some other property of the fuel. An oxygenated fuel will almost certainly add some additional HP.

Remember to rejet for any new fuel.

tmoney
06-28-2006, 07:08 PM
hey thanks a lot man

Tom TRX250R
06-28-2006, 09:07 PM
If you don't need race gas (running high compression) then you will be simply wasting a couple dollars more a gallon. Though it will smell good doing it:p

Eddiesanders250
06-28-2006, 09:43 PM
^^^ exactly dont waste your money unless your running hi compression

250r4life
06-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
If you don't need race gas (running high compression) then you will be simply wasting a couple dollars more a gallon. Though it will smell good doing it:p

exactly... and no it wouldnt make that much of a difference... sounds like you need to
a) slip the clutch
b) drop down into 3rd and wind it out and quickly shift to 4th
c) switch your gearing up a tad, possibly go one up on the rear sprocket to let you lug it just a tad more...

Math
06-29-2006, 04:54 PM
You could also use a CR250 head gasket or split a stock 250R head gasket (use only one black piece) to get more compression and then use race gas. This would be a simple, not expensive way to get more power and torque out of your engine. Good luck with those jump :p

tmoney
06-29-2006, 06:27 PM
well Ive got all kinds of compression, this thing is a beast to kick over, Ill give it some more practice

Tom TRX250R
06-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Do a compression test and actually see what your exact compression is instead of using your foot as a gauge! I would recommend buying a motorcycle/atv specific compression tester instead of a generic one from an automotive store. There was a difference of 60lbs. from using a crap one vs. a quality Craftsman motorcycle compression tester with different sized hoses and adaptors.

I would first figure out your compression and go from there to see if you need race gas. If not, I would recommend bumping up your compression, it helps alot with low end. Another huge factor is gearing and knowing how to stay on top of the powerband, and using it effectively. What are your current mods, and also gearing?

ShiftFMX
06-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
Though it will smell good doing it:p

Gotta love the smell of good 'ol 110 :p

...and MAXIMA! :devil:

250r4life
06-30-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
Gotta love the smell of good 'ol 110 :p

...and MAXIMA! :devil:

for sure... one of lifes great pleasures

Scott-300ex
06-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Only run it if you need it.

Are you sure you just don't know how to ride the track? Try 3rd gear and run it hard, I was drag racin some guys Sunday, bikes that were just for drag racing, paddles, longer swinger, blah blah blah and I only hit 3rd gear but ran her out hard, and the guys I was ahead of I pulled away from, cuz it has good top end.

If you don't need it then you'll lose $ and heat up your cylinder which means you can sieze it. I've seen it done. And had to do a top end rebuild on the dudes bike.

Play around with your gears when you ride it.

tmoney
07-01-2006, 11:58 AM
yeh I know its not my quads fault I cant get out of that corner quicker I just thought race fuel would make it a lot easier, Ill see what I can do with it next time Im out there

greenman
07-01-2006, 02:17 PM
try some sunoco mo2x its a oxygenated fuel works great you will feel the diffrence its about $40 for 5 gallons its a must that you go up 2-3 sizes on main jet