PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camcorder or Camera??

ohsobad_chevy
06-28-2006, 02:01 PM
I am going to buy either a digital camera or a digital camcorder. I would really like to have one for still pictures, but then again I want to make some vids. Is there any digital cameras that will record long videos. Are there any camcorders that will take still pictures?? I only want to spend about 200 bucks on one. (I know that may not get me much, but o well) Can anyone tell me what things I should look for when buying a digital camcorder. Any pointers would be appriciated greatly. :D

mxdad
06-28-2006, 02:03 PM
The quality of my digital pictures that come from my camcorder are not that good. If you are only looking to spend about $200 I would suggest a camera instead of a camcorder.

PowerJunkie
06-28-2006, 02:28 PM
u really cant even touch a camcorder for 200 unless u get adirt cheapo. 400 would be better for a camcorder

Quad18star
06-28-2006, 03:29 PM
I have a Panasonic GS31 Camcorder and I love it . It's got a built in Snap Shot mode , 26X zoom , came with everything to adapt it to the TV or Computer and I paid $650 for it ( actually my parents bought it for me for Christmas this year) .

I also have a Canon Powershot A530 digital camera . 5 megapixals , video mode , and a bunch of things I don't know how to use . I paid $300 for it . I can take about 1 minute of good quality video with a 65 meg card .

I love both equally .

wvspeedfreak
06-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by mxdad
The quality of my digital pictures that come from my camcorder are not that good. If you are only looking to spend about $200 I would suggest a camera instead of a camcorder.

Exactly.I went through this not long ago and bought a Sony DVD camcorder that also takes digital stills.I was not impressed with the quality of the stills.It was an $800 camcorder too.I ended up taking it back and trading it on a Canon SLR camera.I shoot more pics than video anyway.

ohsobad_chevy
06-29-2006, 07:46 AM
Well, I am not so worried about stills with the camcorder. I can always use my folks' digital camera. I did find a refurbished Sonday handycam (digital8) on ebay for $180. By it now. I am thinking about buying that one. I dont want to spend an arse pile of money on one because I will probably end up breaking it, either recording riding videos or hunting videos. My little bro had one but last year he dropped it 15 feet, out of his tree stand, while bow hunting. :ermm:

organiz3d_chaos
06-29-2006, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
Well, I am not so worried about stills with the camcorder. I can always use my folks' digital camera. I did find a refurbished Sonday handycam (digital8) on ebay for $180. By it now. I am thinking about buying that one. I dont want to spend an arse pile of money on one because I will probably end up breaking it, either recording riding videos or hunting videos. My little bro had one but last year he dropped it 15 feet, out of his tree stand, while bow hunting. :ermm:

My parents digital camera will take someone around 30 mins of video on the 2gb memory card i think.... Ill try to get some video with it tonight so you can see the quality..... not sure what they paid for it though

ohsobad_chevy
06-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by organiz3d_chaos
My parents digital camera will take someone around 30 mins of video on the 2gb memory card i think.... Ill try to get some video with it tonight so you can see the quality..... not sure what they paid for it though

Right on :D

organiz3d_chaos
06-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
Right on :D

well... never mind... i found it... its more then you wanted to pay. its a Sony Cybershot DSCN1 it $544.99 on ebay...

They had a Konica Minolta DiMAGE X1 and it was ok, takes 640x480 video and i think on the 2gb memory stick it took around 30 mins also... You can get it alot cheaper on ebay. I was fine for us, until my dad dropped it( all it did was crack the case) he had bought the extended warranty that covered everything so they took it back and they were out of stock and couldnt get that one any more so they gave us the sony

stoled_400_:(
06-29-2006, 08:28 AM
i've got a kodak easyshare v550, which goes for i think 300 new, maybe you could find one on ebay cheaper? its 5 megapixel, so the still shots are great, and it does alright video for around a half hour with a 1gb card

06-29-2006, 08:33 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204274&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

all the pics except the top one from page 4 of that thread were taken with that camera, and the video was done with it too. btw, before i resized the pics to post on here, they were as big as (or bigger) than my computer screen, and just as clear.

ohsobad_chevy
06-29-2006, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by stoled_400_:(
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204274&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

all the pics except the top one from page 4 of that thread were taken with that camera, and the video was done with it too. btw, before i resized the pics to post on here, they were as big as (or bigger) than my computer screen, and just as clear.

Yeah, my folks have that exact camera Kodak easy share, we gotta printer with it as well, it prints very good pictures for no more than it cost, it just eats the hell outta the ink.

06-29-2006, 10:51 AM
wtf...i didn't get no printer!! :confused: lol. is theirs the v550 also? maybe its a different one that comes with the printer? anyways, they're nice and i like mine...good luck in your search!

ohsobad_chevy
06-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by stoled_400_:(
wtf...i didn't get no printer!! :confused: lol. is theirs the v550 also? maybe its a different one that comes with the printer? anyways, they're nice and i like mine...good luck in your search!

Yeah, its a v550 as well, but I kinda worded that wrong. It didnt come with a printer, they got a HP photo quality printer that prints photos. They look just as good as 35mm developed photos from the store. :cool:

DieselBoy
06-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Don't by a Hi8 camcorder. those are ancient technology.

FasstMidnightZ
06-29-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm thinking about getting a camcorder soon. Allthough my camera does alot of stuff. You can take as long as a video as you want..until memory is full. Pictures are really nice..I'd go with camera.

ohsobad_chevy
06-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
Don't by a Hi8 camcorder. those are ancient technology.
Roger that, the one im talking about is digital8. It records on those little tapes but 3x the quality.