PDA

View Full Version : Question about trail tech lights

PolarisRider
06-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Ok, the lights i installed before are kind of bulky for me. They are cheap halogen car lights from wally world. So I was looking into the Trail Tech lights. I really like them. I had to splice the wireing harness to mount my old ones. Is that all I would have to do if i got these?

Is this all i would need?

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=9391&navTitle=Electrical&webCatId=20&webTypeId=88&navType=type

Here is a picture of the ones i have on now. Thank you.

06-28-2006, 06:37 PM
imo why spend $115+ for lights....its not like you use them a lot. and i dont see how the ones you have are bulky, they look really small compared to stock lights

PolarisRider
06-28-2006, 07:48 PM
haha, dont use them alot, good one

Live2Ride300
06-29-2006, 07:17 AM
The trail techs are nice lights. They'll come with a full detailed instructions of how to mount and wire them up.

ohsobad_chevy
06-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by mjpridered10
imo why spend $115+ for lights....its not like you use them a lot.

Speak for yourself, Bub ;)

PolarisRider
06-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by mjpridered10
imo why spend $115+ for lights....its not like you use them a lot.

one example of me using them was about 2 weeks ago when my buddies 250 broke down 10 miles from home. but it was by a friends house so we stopped there. but we had to go home eventually. it was about 11 oclock and pitch black. if it werent for my lights we'd have a hell of a time getting home. when we got back to the camp we rode around for an hour or 2. id love to take them off, but i need them.

Floorit
07-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by PolarisRider
Ok, the lights i installed before are kind of bulky for me. They are cheap halogen car lights from wally world. So I was looking into the Trail Tech lights. I really like them. I had to splice the wireing harness to mount my old ones. Is that all I would have to do if i got these?

Is this all i would need?

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=9391&navTitle=Electrical&webCatId=20&webTypeId=88&navType=type

Here is a picture of the ones i have on now. Thank you.

There's nothing wrong with the lights you have on there now. I was looking at the very same ones at walmart today. If I recall, they we're like $23.

I think what you need to do is make a shroud/cover that surrounds and protects them. Cleans them up.

Go to a weld shop and get either 1/16th stainless or aluminum sheeting thats a bit wider than the depth of the lights as they're mounted now. I'd say a piece 2 3/4" X 16" will be plenty to wrap them nicely. Also get a piece of aluminum the same size and use it as the test piece [easier to bend] until you get the look you want. Use pop rivets/screws & nuts to assemble the aluminum mock-up. Then when you have it all figured out, take it AND the matching stainless piece to the weld shop and have them bend the stainless to the same as the mock-up and weld it together. Make sure that you figure for the mounting plate that bolts to the bar clamps too.

It doesn't hurt to even go a bit heavier in material thickness for durability.

One other thought. Figure a way to adapt the headlight bucket by bolting through rubber grommets to absorb shock.

I hope this sparked a bit of interest..for you can design YOUR OWN DESIGNED..custom lights.

OH....you might even want to ask them if they have "SMALL MESH "EPANDED" METAL to make a grille ;)

I plan on doing the same thing after I find an HID fog light set I like.

Have Fun

Floorit:D