PDA

View Full Version : which sand tires for a 400ex at Glamis

Dune Surfer
08-15-2002, 07:02 PM
Help me decide. I have skat-track sand-skate 2 rears( I really like them) and have narrowed it down to the choices listed below. I am not into drag racing but want a tire that turns good and will hold a line in the big bowls at Glamis. Also what size 22''or 21'' ?

What do you think?

Skat-trak mohawk
maxxis razr
gbc dune tracker
skat-trak or gbc smooth buff

Thanks for the help

JhallettEX
08-15-2002, 07:05 PM
Check your other post about my GBC's.

Glamis400ex
08-15-2002, 07:19 PM
I run 22x8x10 Dune Trakkers on the front and GBC Sand Sharks 21x11x8 on the rear. This is a good set-up as far as I'm concerned. My motor is stock and really don't have any trouble out at Glamis. (15/38 gearing)

Glamis

Dune Surfer
08-15-2002, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info. Hey, did you do any airbox mods to run a 160 main?I drilled 12 one inch holes in my box and installed uni airbox inserts and I still seem a little rich. How do you have your air/fuel screw set?

Glamis400ex
08-16-2002, 06:45 AM
I had the Uni-vents also, but took the whole lid off. It runs better that way.

Here's my set-up:

Dynojet 160 main
#40 pilot
needle: stock location
air screw: 2 and 1/2 turns out
no air box lid
K&N filter
DMC full exhaust

I see that you live in Vista, I'm in Escondido.

Glamis

Dune Surfer
08-16-2002, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the tips. I am a little afraid to remove the airbox lid completly, What kind of filter setup are you running? Also I se you have your air fuel screw out 2.5 I have mine at 3.25 out. Do you worry about it being to lean? K&N recomended 3.5 out 3000 ft and below.
Do you ride in the summer? If so do you know any place to ride around here? I would at least like to find a place to test mods and adjust my setup.
We will have to hook up and ride sometime. I know a few people around here that ride but I guess Im more hardcore, I want to ride all the time. It is an addiction. ha ha
41, married with kids, not to much riding time, I bought this 2002 ex last rear and have riden about 30 times. I am not to agressive but not a chicken either .

GlamisEXRider
08-16-2002, 07:42 AM
The tires that you have should be fine for glamis. The sand skate 2's will work just fine. Your front tire you can run your stock tires and do just fine out there. If you have run razors/trackers before and are use to it then i would run them but if you havent then i would run with the mohawks or stock tire they are more forgiving.

Glamis400ex
08-16-2002, 08:59 PM
surfski,

Now that you mention it, I believe it is 3 and 1/2 turns out. It's been a while since I've messed with it. I have had my 400ex for almost 2 years now and have had no probs with the K&N and outerwear. I take 2 K&N's with me whenever I ride the dunes. I check it after each outing, and change/clean if needed. The 400ex responds very well to a K&N and no airbox lid and pipe.

Well, I love to ride also but don't really in the summer. I need to save and scrimp all year to afford to go out for 1 week at Thxgiving, 1 week at Xmas and every 3 weekends untill Easter. My wife and I are D.I.N.K.'s. Dual income, no kids so, I can go really whenever I want.

BTW, I'm a tile setter and am always looking for side jobs to fund my hobbies....keep me in mind if someone needs tile work.

Glamis
aka...Alin

L.Vegas400
08-16-2002, 09:55 PM
i want to hit glamis one of these days. maybe we could get together. where exactly is glamis by the way. i think im about 6 hrs away, from what ive heard.

Dune Surfer
08-16-2002, 11:41 PM
I am sooo ready! I'm going to cantomar on sunday and Pismo next weekend (aug. 23-25). I was thinking I might go to glamis and ride at night some weekend after that. I have to try out my new trialtech lights.he he. We always ride at night there anyways.After that as it cools down I will be going alot.so let me know.

Dune Surfer
08-16-2002, 11:46 PM
Hey everybody thanks for all of the advice. Based on your recomendations I ordered the skat-trak mohawks from rocky mountian (these guys are great) In fact I ordered my trialtech lights from them yesterday. Try them out

Porkchop
08-17-2002, 12:16 AM
Yah thanks guys...

I'll order me a set of these too when I get the $$$$$. :macho

Think they'd look good on a 300ex with 21" gecko's in the rear also? or would that look alittle goofy?