PDA

View Full Version : front sand tires help me pick

Dune Surfer
08-15-2002, 06:50 PM
I am going to get front sand tires this season and wanted some advice from the experts. I ran my stock tires last season at 4lbs and they worked OK. My bike has a few mods and I run sand skate 2 on the rear. I plan on riding mostly Glamis and some pismo. By the way I really like the sand skates.
OK here are my choices

Maxxis razr
skat trak mohawk
skat trak smooth buff (do they turn?)
GBC dune tracker

I am not concerned with drag racing just turning and holding a line in the big bowls Also what size 22'' or 21''?

Any sugestions would help greatly

JhallettEX
08-15-2002, 07:03 PM
I have a pair of the GBC Dune Tracker's, 22's. I am thinkin about sellin them because I never get to the dunes. I have only used them once, if you are interested let me know. I think they are mounted on Douglas blue labels.

Dune Surfer
08-15-2002, 07:27 PM
I might be how much?

JhallettEX
08-15-2002, 07:57 PM
You tell me!

Dune Surfer
08-15-2002, 08:49 PM
rocky mountian has them new for $123 how about $75

JhallettEX
08-15-2002, 10:29 PM
These are pretty much brand new, I could go $100.

New-400ex_guy
08-15-2002, 10:52 PM
go with the mohawks cause i think there lighter than all the others, the gbc's are really heavy but they are cheaper. i love my mohawks youll tell a world of differece with them, but probly not as much since you have v-paddles. you could get the smooth buffs too but they wont turn as good.

airheadedduner
08-15-2002, 11:13 PM
I love mohawks. I think they are much surperior to the strait ribbed tires. They don't wonder at speed, they don't climb ruts, and you can 4 wheel slide with them. I have had problems with the strait ribbed tires grabbing and wanting to climb ruts. Strait ribbed tires to have better turning precision but it is not buy much. The mohawks are also much lighter.

PDunes300ex
08-16-2002, 10:56 AM
smooth buffs are alot better than people give them credit for. They are forgiving in chopped up sand. They don't wander at speed...and for not having any traction they turn predictably once you get the hang of them. Four wheel slides can also be a blast.

FullBore52
08-16-2002, 11:20 AM
Mohawks...I run them on my Banshee and my EX...work great. There are two different looking ones though, the new ones have longer knobs and are smooth...the older ones have small knobs and are buffed for weight savings...either ones work pretty well.

Str8Wicked
08-16-2002, 11:21 AM
I have noticed if you are a heavier rider than you should go with the front tires with the straight line through the entire tire. I only weigh about 145 so I run the mohawks with the line that is broken through the tire. If I run the solid line tires it seems to turn way to sharp for me. The mohawks give enough slip where it feels a lot more comfprtable.

Dune Surfer
08-16-2002, 11:53 PM
Great advice. I decided on the Mohawks based on Everybody's input and the fact I have skats on the back. I ordered them from Rocky mountian (their Great) I got the 21-7-10 on .160 douglas wheels for under $170. I will see you all at glamis.!! I will be the guy on the yellow EX with a big smil under my helmut. ha ha:D

Str8Wicked
08-19-2002, 10:22 AM
Everyone in Glamis is smiling....lol

unless there throwing up...

but even so, they still smile after...

lol