PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Bearing problems

ELewandowski
06-28-2006, 06:02 AM
I am in the process of tearing down my rearend. I can't figure out the lock nut. This is the first time i have ever done any kind of axle work on my quad. I did a search and got some useful info, but i need a little more. Which of the two nuts do i loosen first? And which way do I loosen it? In the search I did some people said they used a pipe wrench, being a plumber i have plenty of those for the job, but i dont want to tear up the nuts. Is it worth ordering axle nut wrenches? And I saw something about a c-clip being involved, should I also invest in the c-clip pliers? Thanks for any info you can give me. The more detail the better.

TIA

Eric

06-28-2006, 07:23 AM
they are a left hand thread and the outer(closest to right side wheel) loosens first.

the c-clip is a pain in the arse, even with spring clip pliers, but they make the job a A LOT easier

do you have a shop manual? i have a honda manual and if need be, i'll scan the pages necessary for you and email them to you if you have high speed interent as the files will be large

Sjorge450R
06-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by ELewandowski
I am in the process of tearing down my rearend. I can't figure out the lock nut. This is the first time i have ever done any kind of axle work on my quad. I did a search and got some useful info, but i need a little more. Which of the two nuts do i loosen first? And which way do I loosen it? In the search I did some people said they used a pipe wrench, being a plumber i have plenty of those for the job, but i dont want to tear up the nuts. Is it worth ordering axle nut wrenches? And I saw something about a c-clip being involved, should I also invest in the c-clip pliers? Thanks for any info you can give me. The more detail the better.

TIA

Eric

The nuts are reverse thread and if you put the wrench on from the back you have to lift up. You have to loosen the one closer to the swing arm. Once you back that off, you have to do the same with the other one. Keep backing it off until the c-clip is exposed then just slide the c-clip off with a screw driver. Then the rest is easy.

400exrider707
06-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
they are a left hand thread and the outer(closest to right side wheel) loosens first.

the c-clip is a pain in the arse, even with spring clip pliers, but they make the job a A LOT easier

do you have a shop manual? i have a honda manual and if need be, i'll scan the pages necessary for you and email them to you if you have high speed interent as the files will be large

Thats wrong! You need to loosen the one closest to the swingarm FIRST!!!, then you loosen the one closest to the wheel, which will expose the c-clip. Pop off the C-clip, then the whole nut assembly slides right off of the axle.

06-28-2006, 10:13 AM
good catch, see what happens when you only sleep a little over that last few nights and you have 4 year old in your ear

ELewandowski
06-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys. Big help, now to the garage.