PDA

View Full Version : outlaw questions

exTAZe400
06-27-2006, 08:56 PM
I am thinking of buying an outlaw and had a couple questions.

Anybody rode these at the dunes? if so how do they climb?

Does anybody know if the wheels off a 400ex will fit onto the outlaw?

Thanks in advance.

greg

calds650
06-28-2006, 06:07 AM
It works great in the dunes. It is not a hill racer but will climb any dune I have found at Glamis. If you like to ride all day it is one of the best. The Honda wheels will not fit. The fronts are 4/156 and the rear requires a special off set. It does need font tires like a Razorback or Sand Star. The center rib makes a huge difference on how the Outlaw handles in the dunes.

Danlwil
06-28-2006, 09:52 PM
I'll give you a report after riding at the Oregon Dunes this weekend... I'm anxious to see how it performs.

I've had it n the trails a couple of times now... it's a very solid ride.

The rear wheels are EXPENSIVE!!! But I'm sure they're well worth it. I'm running the stock tires in the front... I'll probably pick up a set of sand tires by the end of the season... too many toys at once :blah:

exTAZe400
06-29-2006, 11:56 AM
I did find a place to get new wheels.

www.recreationtires.com
got a quote for $80 for stock rear wheels. which is about 1/2 of Polaris's price. Still pricey but was able to find them. They said that they can get these from Douglas but no other size is currently available.

I have a set of rims from my 400 that I can get to fit on but makes it a little wider and exposes the "axle" a little bit. Not sure if this is a problem or not. Would think that since I am using paddles I will only be in the sand that my risk is lower.

Danlwil
06-29-2006, 09:10 PM
I understood that Douglas hadn't released them except through Polaris (yet)... Hopefully they are available now.

You're right ...80.00 is about 1/2 price.... that's a VERY GOOD thing...

I'd be careful using a different offset.. As I understand it, it puts additional pressure on the bearings..

Have a GREAT 4th weekend!!!

Ride like you stole it!

Iliketogofast
06-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Wide offset puts the same amount of stress on the bearings as widening the axle. It shouldn't be a problem.

2DMaxLST
07-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
Wide offset puts the same amount of stress on the bearings as widening the axle. It shouldn't be a problem.

The Outlaw is IRS. :)

Danlwil
07-06-2006, 10:15 PM
I'd hesitate doing it

Iliketogofast
07-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by 2DMaxLST
The Outlaw is IRS. :)

Damn you!

I would be willing to bet that it would climb some of the nastiest hills you could throw at it. Since the IRS will soak the bumps in the back instead of sending one side flying with the impact of a root or rock, it will be much more stable at a high speed.

I'd be weary of buying it for dune purposes, though. Although I've never ridden it, I would imagine it has some nasty body roll. That would make it a last choice for me when it came to the high speed berm blasting associated with dune riding.

calds650
07-07-2006, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
Damn you!

I would be willing to bet that it would climb some of the nastiest hills you could throw at it. Since the IRS will soak the bumps in the back instead of sending one side flying with the impact of a root or rock, it will be much more stable at a high speed.

I'd be weary of buying it for dune purposes, though. Although I've never ridden it, I would imagine it has some nasty body roll. That would make it a last choice for me when it came to the high speed berm blasting associated with dune riding.

Works great in the dunes but front ribbed sand tires a must have too make the Outlaw turn like it is on rails in the sand.