PDA

View Full Version : Valve Adj. With Advance Key??

Drtridr18
08-15-2002, 06:29 PM
Since my timing is +6 degrees now with the Sparks key, I will no longer be able to look thru the case ports to line up TDC...Couldn't I just remove the plug and try to crank the engine until piston reaches TDC of compression stroke(finger on top of the plug hole), or until all 4 rockers are loose, then make adjustments?

Dont think it will be a big deal, but do any others out there have the same situation?

What would you do?

Thanks a lot!

Leo
08-15-2002, 10:00 PM
the important thing is that the rockers are on the base circle of the cams (not on any part of the lobes)..

if the key advances the flywheel 6 degrees you should be able to line the mark up, then turn it a hair more (6 deg isn't very much!) as long as all 4 rockers are loose I'd say you'd be good to go..

Leo

Drtridr18
08-19-2002, 04:33 AM
Yep...that's what I did. Lined up the mark with the "T" like the info says on here, valves were still a bit tight, then went a bit more, all 4 were loose-still on the base circle, so I made my adjustments and double checked them with the feeler gages, put it all back together, ran it, engine was quieter, and for just being in my garage, it revved smoother too. Was pretty easy I thought!

Thanks for the help